Earlier Access

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
oldtaku said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
on a more serious note, i wonder if the comic is referencing unteruned, the inexplicably popular dayz-like early access game on steam
There are at least a dozen. Not sure how many are early access, but you can't swing an undead cat without hitting a zombie survival game on Steam. It's a goddamn plague.
but none has reached the pupularity of unturned

its currently the 4th most popular game on steam, way above dayz and rust

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
OK I spit my drink all over my monitor at "Early Access Money" well played. A true classic strip that will be taught in game design classes for years to come.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I liked Kerbal Space Program's model; the earlier you got in on the beta, the cheaper the game was. People who got the game when they were first releasing it and it was limited to one planet and a moon paid like $12, people who are buying the entire game are getting closer to, I don't know, probably at least $30 at this point.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
mrdude2010 said:
I liked Kerbal Space Program's model; the earlier you got in on the beta, the cheaper the game was. People who got the game when they were first releasing it and it was limited to one planet and a moon paid like $12, people who are buying the entire game are getting closer to, I don't know, probably at least $30 at this point.
I should add to my post above that this is the 'Minecraft model', another perfectly acceptable method of Early Access.

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Paying for early access anything, is like the opposite of voting.
If you do it, then you shouldn't complain if the result isn't to your liking.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
FriesWithThat said:
This is why I tend to steer clear of bull like this. The crap devs can get away with now is udderly ridiculous. (That's three cow puns in one comment. Go home everyone.)
How could miss the obvious one, using "bullshit" instead of "crap"? Or is profanity too raw for you?
That's what the bull was for. Can't do two of the same puns in the same comment. What kind of cretin do you take me for? Also was that another pun I just saw?!

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Blunderboy said:
TopazFusion said:
Malbourne said:
TopazFusion said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I hope you didn't ruminate over that pun for too long.
Don't worry, I can easily calf my way through these puns.
I've herd of worse jokes to make in a thread like this.
I dairy anyone to come up with something better!
You guys are so cheesy.
But be sure to give yourselves a pat on the back.
I'm udderly amazed that they're still going.

I've got no beef with it though, in fact I hope the stampede of cow puns continues.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
love it. thats why i never get any games that are at that stage. i should be paying with a cow as well.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Take the deal, dev. Even if you don't want the cow, she's bound to be quite valuable, certainly compared to a pre-order price.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
I'd love some of that early-access money.
And with all the bull they're trying to sell you, and years in early access, it's almost a sure deal that they'll have more cows by the time the game is abandoned. Taking the cow is clearly a great choice.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
But cows are worth hundreds of dollars!

A chicken would have been a much fairer exchange.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
BanicRhys said:
But cows are worth hundreds of dollars!

A chicken would have been a much fairer exchange.
Having had chickens, I can honestly say a dozen eggs, maybe two, at most. We had a small flock (5, legal limit here) and routinely sold the extra eggs for a few bucks.

Sadly, it turns out there is a particularly harsh fox around, who managed to get in and killed them. Didn't even eat them, just killed them and fled.

Macragge scholar

Jul 15, 2014
I don't know why people hate early access more than pre-purchase. At least you can "access" to the game after the purchasing. Is that the drop of quality or the diminish of a promising game that piss people off?

xGrimReaperzZ

Dec 8, 2013
Macragge scholar said:
I don't know why people hate early access more than pre-purchase. At least you can "access" to the game after the purchasing. Is that the drop of quality or the diminish of a promising game that piss people off?
I utterly dislike both, but early-access games may or may not "come out", whilst you can always cancel pre-orders if a game is delayed or cancelled, but you're gambling either way and you're better off buying a game that you can play now and one that you can be sure of its quality.

And it seems like pre-orders are more usually taken advantage of by publisher whilst you're more likely to see indie-devs taking advantage of the early-access system.

Both are horrible in every way though and are part of the reason we NEED game refunds on Steam, when EA is one step ahead of you in any aspect, you're doing something very, very wrong.