Early Dark Souls Players Get a Nasty Surprise

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
EverythingIncredible said:
Always online DRM?

What the ****.

I am moving and I am going to be without internet for a few weeks after release.
The always online aspect will most likely work as demon's souls did, wherein if it was offline you wouldn't be able to see other players notes, ghosts, or be able to invade/be invaded other worlds, the single player will be completely intact.

Calling it DRM is giving people the wrong impression of what the online functionality of the game really is.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
darkstone said:
That's cool, but you know there will be that one crazy bastard who actually beats one of the things.
Well then I think he pretty much earned it.

Uncle_Brainhorn

Dec 18, 2009
grimner said:
I can dig this. But unless the system changed since Demon's souls ( and it would be a mistake if it did), one can always play offline.
Guessing you didn't read the "always online" part.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
kibayasu said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's actually pretty awesome, better than going after them legally or what have you.

I almost feel sorry for those people having to deal with Black Phantoms, they are a bunch of evil bastards, almost.
There isn't anything to go after them for. The people playing the game are doing nothing wrong.
I'm not saying what they did was wrong or bad, what the company is doing, I think, is pretty funny. There's nothing they can do about it now, so the only thing that they can do is use that 'invading' function and take out their frustrations that way.

Were they punishing the wrong people? Maybe, but they also accepted the game early, so this is nothing more than a mild 'take that'.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
So they're basically sending that game's equivalent of the Terminator after pirates? That is awesome. If the game asks me if I'm John Connor, though, I'm lighting the disc on fire.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
kibayasu said:
Punishing the wrong people isn't it? I doubt most, if any, people playing early literally stole a copy from somewhere. Probably just got it from a store legitimately, just the story released it a day early.
This.

Good concept, bad execution.

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
Now that to me is fair; unless the players do not spend the minimum 60 hours of playing the game.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
SachielOne said:
So they're basically sending that game's equivalent of the Terminator after pirates? That is awesome. If the game asks me if I'm John Connor, though, I'm lighting the disc on fire.
I would be willing to bet that pretty much none of the people playing early are "pirates."

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
I never played Demon's Souls online because my internet at home sucks so badly, I guess I'll be doing the same for Demon's Souls

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
It looks like some people are not reading the article properly. The always-online is an assumption, this article clearly states this. Do not jump to conclusions.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
..or, apply crack (likely the case) and play offline. Dur. I'm not sure who exactly they're punishing with this rather amusing trick but its not the hackers, crackers, or pirates.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
kibayasu said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's actually pretty awesome, better than going after them legally or what have you.

I almost feel sorry for those people having to deal with Black Phantoms, they are a bunch of evil bastards, almost.
There isn't anything to go after them for. The people playing the game are doing nothing wrong.
I'm not saying what they did was wrong or bad, what the company is doing, I think, is pretty funny. There's nothing they can do about it now, so the only thing that they can do is use that 'invading' function and take out their frustrations that way.

Were they punishing the wrong people? Maybe, but they also accepted the game early, so this is nothing more than a mild 'take that'.
Those people that "accepted" the game early are likely FANS or potential fans. This isn't CoD or WoW. It's not going to have lines of people waiting outside for the game to release. They only crapped on the fans A.K.A. loyal customers. If anything, they should have invaded the stores that sold the game early, not crap on the fan who wanted to play a game they paid for.

As for pirates, I think I covered that. :D

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Yes, I completely agree; it's cruel and unusual, and awesome.

I wonder if those behemoths are AI controlled or if they're having some particularly disgruntled employees that don't have anything else super-important to do playing as those black phantoms for some more personal retribution?

Dec 27, 2010
I'm fairly sure that there's no DRM on this considering it's a console game! It would be completely unnecessary when the system's locked anyway!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
MajorDolphin said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
kibayasu said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Those people that "accepted" the game early are likely FANS or potential fans. This isn't CoD or WoW. It's not going to have lines of people waiting outside for the game to release. They only crapped on the fans A.K.A. loyal customers. If anything, they should have invaded the stores that sold the game early, not crap on the fan who wanted to play a game they paid for.

As for pirates, I think I covered that. :D
I did say they were probably punishing the wrong people. For me, I'd be a little skeptical of a store was giving me a game early that I'm a fan of and already paid for, would I take it? No, because it wouldn't add up to me. As for those people? I can't speak for them, sucks to be them...? If I were the fans I'd be more angry at the store than From Software since they obvious broke an agreement.

As for pirates, I didn't mention them so I have no idea what you're talking about.