Earth like planet found. Your reactions?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I remember hearing about this recently and it's really awesome. It's crazy how we have something like that so close. If we can't visit it, we should at least try to contact it.

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
If this really turns out to be what this article is saying it could be, I hope that we don't attempt to settle it. I doubt that the human race has learned anything from its last bout with imperialism.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Yay, now i can hate two worlds and all its useless beings that plotter around and die.

But at least it looks nice.

cWg | Konka

Feb 9, 2010
im not sure but doesnt the drake equation put there at being over 10,000 earth like planets in the milky way alone, so this isnt all that surprising

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
I also read that a message was sent to that planet back in 2006. It should arrive in 2029, so we should be expecting a reply in 2049 at the earliest. That is, if there is life and it's intelligent enough.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
here's hoping first contact actually goes down with civility, because god knows what will happen if it goes down like...every sci-fi iteration of First Contact ever! Fingers are crossed!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well then, time to go secure it in the name of the God Emperor. Who is with me!?

OT: Wonder if there is anything of interest there at all though.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
philosophicalbastard said:
Great this will be one of the first planets to checkout when I discover FTL travel, but I think I've heard of this gliese before so I guess this information isn't really new.
The sad part is that it is impossible to accelerate faster than the speed of light. From my understanding, it would require more energy than there exists in the universe to attain that speed. And twice as much to slow down.

No, we need to find a way to create wormholes or use whatever they did in Outlaw Star to travel through the vacuum of space.

Still, this is cool news, but completely expected. Eventually anyway.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I've always held the belief that just because a planet can sustain life doesn't mean it will. Steven Hawking believes that most planet-life is killed out within 1000 years of it's first life form due to meteorites. I'm more interested in the fact that scientists may have discovered an Anti-universe.

Though if there is life I'm so finding a way to keep something as a pet.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Grayjack said:
I also read that a message was sent to that planet back in 2006. It should arrive in 2029, so we should be expecting a reply in 2049 at the earliest. That is, if there is life and it's intelligent enough.
And it developed a civilization comparable in technological progress to our own, just happens to be operating its own SETI program to search for signals like the one we've sent, uses the same radio communication media, and is otherwise a virtual clone of humanity.

I'm all in favor of science, but too many people have seen too many movies and money for this sort of stuff is money down the rabbit hole.

LBringer

Sep 29, 2010
Samus Aaron said:
If this really turns out to be what this article is saying it could be, I hope that we don't attempt to settle it. I doubt that the human race has learned anything from its last bout with imperialism.
Yeah, they shouldn't... HAHAHAHAHAH who am I kidding, first chance they get, we're gonna try to colonize that place and make the planet suit us. Hell, first store on there will probably be either a MacDonalds or a Starbucks.

Sep 13, 2009
LBringer said:
Chris Overhage said:
The religious implications are going to be fun to watch. Lets see what the Vatican does here.
Probably try to claim it as a Catholic only planet?

OT: I'm actually more curious which government/corporation will try to own it first.
Russia... They think they own the Arctic. Lol

This might spark of another space race. First country to plant a flag gets dibs. Then eaten up by the local wildlife.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
SimuLord said:
And it developed a civilization comparable in technological progress to our own, just happens to be operating its own SETI program to search for signals like the one we've sent, uses the same radio communication media, and is otherwise a virtual clone of humanity.

I'm all in favor of science, but too many people have seen too many movies and money for this sort of stuff is money down the rabbit hole.
Well, I never said that we would get a reply. Those are very big "ifs."