Earth like planet found. Your reactions?

telophase

Apr 22, 2010
cWg | Konka said:
im not sure but doesnt the drake equation put there at being over 10,000 earth like planets in the milky way alone, so this isnt all that surprising
no its 10,000 civilizations not earth like planets

Sep 13, 2009
Grayjack said:
I also read that a message was sent to that planet back in 2006. It should arrive in 2029, so we should be expecting a reply in 2049 at the earliest. That is, if there is life and it's intelligent enough.
And the reply is all in Webdings.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Chris Overhage said:
The religious implications are going to be fun to watch. Lets see what the Vatican does here.
Says that that planet is really the Garden of Eden or something along those lines.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Terminate421 said:
How long until my own America makes it "Their" property?
And the colony can rebel and we will feel much empathy for British after it. At least thats how I hope it happens, it be deliciously ironic.
Great this will be one of the first planets to checkout when I discover FTL travel, but I think I've heard of this gliese before so I guess this information isn't really new.
The sad part is that it is impossible to accelerate faster than the speed of light. From my understanding, it would require more energy than there exists in the universe to attain that speed. And twice as much to slow down.
:(

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Oh goody :). This means people will finally give a damn about space travel again. Break time's over, NASA. Start getting astronauts ready to go!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I could have sworn reading another article that claimed to find a similar "earth like planet" a few months back.

Anyways, this doesn't actually prove anything. There was never any doubt that a planet could exist in the same zone as Earth. Nor does a planet existing in such an area guarantee that their is life on it. It's also important to remember that this is not a planet similar in size and mass to Earth. It simply exists in the same zone as Earth. But even then, it is still located closer to its star than Earth. So saying it is highly similar to Earth seems like a stretch. It might be in comparison to other planets we've found, but that doesn't prove much.

So yeah, this doesn't really prove anything nor raise any questions that weren't already being asked. I'm not trying to say it isn't an important scientific discovery. The discovery of any planet is. But I don't think it is this ground breaking discovery you guys are making it out to be.

Dec 14, 2008
Saltyk said:
philosophicalbastard said:
Great this will be one of the first planets to checkout when I discover FTL travel, but I think I've heard of this gliese before so I guess this information isn't really new.
The sad part is that it is impossible to accelerate faster than the speed of light. From my understanding, it would require more energy than there exists in the universe to attain that speed. And twice as much to slow down.

No, we need to find a way to create wormholes or use whatever they did in Outlaw Star to travel through the vacuum of space.

Still, this is cool news, but completely expected. Eventually anyway.
Technically worm holes are faster than light because you get there before light would, thus faster than light.

baseracer said:
We need FTL travel...too bad it won't happen in my lifetime =(
Hold out hope a little longer, I'm working on figuring that out.

Sep 13, 2009
Saltyk said:

No, we need to find a way to create wormholes or use whatever they did in Outlaw Star to travel through the vacuum of space.

well what happens when you get to the speed of light is it takes more and more energy as an object grows in mass at high speeds. This effectivly means that it would take an infinite amount of energy to move a single atom to light speed. It is one of the only impossible things.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Littlee300 said:
Terminate421 said:
And the colony can rebel and we will feel much empathy for British after it. At least thats how I hope it happens, it be deliciously ironic.

IrradiatedFish

Sep 24, 2010
Saltyk said:

Technically worm holes are faster than light because you get there before light would, thus faster than light.
Distance =/= Speed

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Saltyk said:

Yeah, but the FTL was alien tech discovered on Mars, and belonged to the Reapers, and which completely blows our earth tech out of the water. But regardless, I think we're more likely to discover wormhole transportation technology before we find alien artifacts on Mars...

*Edit*

Littlee300 said:
Terminate421 said:
Being American... I would die loling if that happened. And after that happens, Great Britain would be like, "YEAH, SUCKS HUH!"

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Terminate421 said:
23.73453 days. OP: Alright were going to go out there NOW to "Discover new life and civilisations, to boldy go where no man has gone before" I call being Data! (He was always my favourite.)

Sep 13, 2009
Saltyk said:
I remember reading somewhere that some Theoretical Physicists said that we could travel faster than light. It just takes a type of energy we have yet to discover.

That sounds like a good job though. Make up some shit and get paid big time

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Chris Overhage said:
The religious implications are going to be fun to watch. Lets see what the Vatican does here.
What kind of religious implications?

Maybe something like "the life forms on that planet are blind! They have no god! We must venture into this planet and teach them the ways of the lord! If they refuse they are the new spawns of Satan!"

Wow I sure hope some nutjobs DO act this way so we can smack them across the face.

slarrs

Mar 26, 2009
It's probably too far to matter. Maybe we'll be able to contact them someday reasonably soon (I.E a few decades), but I'll be long dead before we can reach them.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
Earth-like planets are so over rated, I'm fairly certain we've found quite a few of those. Even if it has life its not like we can colonize it and enslave its locals anytime soon.