Earth's Mightiest Teaser

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
It's funny that you said "Iron Man 3: Guest Starring The Avengers", because throughout the trailer, he completely steals the show with his snarky lines. Robert Downey Jr. is just so charismatic and funny that it's hard to take my attention away from him...

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
cynicalsaint1 said:
I have to agree the NIN music feels out of place here - ever since the 300 trailer it seems like people can't get enough of pillaging The Fragile for trailer music though ..

Otherwise looks awesome can't wait!
i think the lyrical content of the song had a lot to do with the choice.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
marcogodinho said:
Wilbot666 said:
Joss Whedon is a perfect pick for this. Read the first 4 Astonishing X-Men graphic novels if you don't believe the stats. Ord of the Breakworld was simple, powerful and also excellently written/murderous.
Absolutely. Whedon´s x-men run should be the blueprint to its movie franchise. If the Avengers turn out half as good as those comics i´ll be a happy man. The line "I really like beer" alone makes it worthwhile.
Heh heh, in some ways I wish Whedon had had a chance to write some Deadpool into that series, I think he would have written a mighty fine dynamic between Logan and Wade.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
"00:44 - 00:45 Captain America meets his new 21st Century uniform. I'm really curious as to the context of this scene - the outfit is preserved like a museum piece, as in "this is Captain America's gear;" but it's NOT his actual gear (it can't be, he was wearing said gear when he was frozen) and in fact looks like a modernized version of the "costume" he wore at USO appearances. I'd really like it if there was a "bit" about that in there, re: Cap's legend having gotten exaggerated/embellished in the 70 years he's been "away.""

I wonder if it's a reference to the imposter Captain America that was active during the Cold War whilst Steve Rogers was still frozen? Perhaps the "new" Cap updated the uniform and this is one of those iterations.

It's a bit of a stretch but who knows, it could happen.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
BOB!

you missed something crucial the iron man suit pilot is dizzy / confused when he / she switches from vertical to horizontal flight

does someone steal the iron man suit?

there's a foreshadowing hint at this when mr america taunts him about it too.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
rayen020 said:
Looking at the bigger picture, is anyone kinda surprised that the avengers, i have to say it, the second most well known superhero team is getting a movie before the most well known superhero team, the justice league? i mean i know that DC would love to put out a movie for all its big IPs and then make a justice league movie. Is it weird that even though everyone knows about the justice league DC can't make a decent movie for anyone who isn't a pyschopath in a batsuit fighting other pyschopaths?

personally speaking i didn't know about the avengers until i really started getting into comics. I find it odd that with all the various incarnations of justice league for TV that isn't getting a big screen adaptation first.

Still Avengers is looking like it's gonna be awesome.
It's because DC suck at getting their movies off the ground in this way. There hasn't been a very decent Superman film in a while, and certainly none that really captured the essence of the Big Guy in a context that would work with other heroes.
Green Lantern was a total disaster that did more to upset a multi-hero continuity than help it.
The Dark Knight is obviously the best movie going for DC right now, but can you really see Nolan's Batman sitting up in the watchtower, next to Flash and Martian Manhunter? Can you really envisage Christian Bale shouting a gravelly voiced one liner as uses a laser-guided bat-missile to blow up an alien spaceship while he punches Darkseid in the face? Bit of a step up from Gotham's thugs.
And we are seemingly a million miles away from a Wonder Woman/Flash/Aquaman/Hawkman movie, and we need at least a few years to recover from GL to make it viable to reboot.
The best hope for Justice League being realized as a film is if Snyder's Man of Steel does great in the box office and ties Superman to the rest of DC a bit, and if DKR leans batman a bit closer outside of Nolans gritty realism world. That's possible if they go the whole resurrection route with Raz Al Gul and make Bane a total badass out of the pages of comics.

Kahohess

Sep 12, 2011
But, yeah... I'd probably pony up for a movie of nothing but Johansson in a black jumpsuit doing nifty acrobatic takedowns on henchmen.
In 3D !

What seems strange to me, BLack widow looks like she is in custody too at 0:48.

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
SimGrave said:
I have a question about continuity for you Bob, or anyone who has an answer.
At the end of Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton, Nick Fury talks with General Ross.
Leading us to believe that Fury wants Ross on board, not Hulk
In the Avengers' trailer, it's clearly Hulk, Bruce Banner that is part of the team, not Ross.
(yeah I know, that's how it is in the comics, but I'm talking about the movies here)
Why is that? As far as I know, there wasn't any closure between Banner and Ross.
Do you think that it'll be explained, or just ignored?
This was on the Thor Blu-Ray:

OT: I'm so excited for this film. I agree that the trailer is very Iron Man heavy. I want to see Iron Man taking the piss out of everyone though. That will be some of the best bits of the film.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know what sold me on this movie?

Captain America: "Big man in a suit. Take that away and what are you?"
Tony Stark: "Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist."
[Thor laughs]

SimGrave

Jan 7, 2010
Harveypot said:
SimGrave said:
I have a question about continuity for you Bob, or anyone who has an answer.
At the end of Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton, Nick Fury talks with General Ross.
Leading us to believe that Fury wants Ross on board, not Hulk
In the Avengers' trailer, it's clearly Hulk, Bruce Banner that is part of the team, not Ross.
(yeah I know, that's how it is in the comics, but I'm talking about the movies here)
Why is that? As far as I know, there wasn't any closure between Banner and Ross.
Do you think that it'll be explained, or just ignored?
This was on the Thor Blu-Ray:

OT: I'm so excited for this film. I agree that the trailer is very Iron Man heavy. I want to see Iron Man taking the piss out of everyone though. That will be some of the best bits of the film.
Why did I had the souvenir of Fury talking to Ross, while it was Stark? Well, it doesn't matter! This is perfect and pretty much the answer I was looking for. So thanks a bunch. I'm not that much into Super Heroes movies. They all are the same... Origin + Villain introduction. But, I finnd the over-arching story line more interesting that the movies themselves. I mean... IT IS EPIC! I just hope that the main villain in the Avenger will be just as epic.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
rayen020 said:
Looking at the bigger picture, is anyone kinda surprised that the avengers, i have to say it, the second most well known superhero team is getting a movie before the most well known superhero team, the justice league?
I think you'll find the most well known team is the X-Men.

The rest is leagues behind them to the point where trying to figure out who is no 2 is rather much a moot point.

The general public really doesn't know. Especially outside the US.

Kaisius

Dec 6, 2010
"Um... incidentally, why has nobody said "Avengers Assemble!" yet?"

Because you'll only get one shot at delivering that line. One. The movie could be a two hour long nerdgasm, but if you mess up that line, it will all be tainted. It will be in the movie, without a doubt, because if they do get it right....Oh Sweet Jesus. A lot of fans will gladly sign their souls over to Marvel.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Vortigar said:

The rest is leagues behind them to the point where trying to figure out who is no 2 is rather much a moot point.

I think the Fantastic Four is a close second, some years ago they'd likely be in front, but given that the recent fantastic four movies were pretty bad and the X-men ones on average decent, they've likely been overtaken.

Also I think the Justice League is more the sum of it's parts popularity, than the actual team itself.
SimGrave said:
They all are the same... Origin + Villain introduction. But, I finnd the over-arching story line more interesting that the movies themselves. I mean... IT IS EPIC! I just hope that the main villain in the Avenger will be just as epic.
One of the key things I liked about Thor was that it wasn't your classical origin movie, where a good person becomes powerful, he starts the film with all of his might and abilities, it was more about his shift in behaviour to become a better person.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Vortigar said:
rayen020 said:
Looking at the bigger picture, is anyone kinda surprised that the avengers, i have to say it, the second most well known superhero team is getting a movie before the most well known superhero team, the justice league?

Okay i'll agree the Xmen are the top, but the justice league is second by a long way, IMO. They've been around on TV for our parents, us and depending on your age our kids. The JL is well ingrained into the public conscious.

hwarang

Oct 12, 2009
The only thing that annoyed me was when Hawkeye unfolded his bow they used a shotgun pumping sfx. A part of me cringed pretty badly at that.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
I am kinda looking forward to seeing how Robert Downey Jr. is fit into the film since he seems to be an automatic scene-stealer. I hope they work it into the plot, say Iron Man doing his own thing that blows up in his (or more likely Capt. America's) face.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Vortigar said:
rayen020 said:

The Justice League is the best known superhero team by far; it's just that the NAME they're "best known" by isn't The Justice League - it's The Superfriends :)

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
honestdiscussioner said:
Bob,
Loki gets arrested on purpose, basically so he can steal the cosmic cube. When everyone is away, he retrieves his weapon and the cube, and uses it to escape. The thing(s) in the sky everyone is looking at probably isn't Loki himself, but perhaps something Loki had pretty much ready to go except for the missing Cosmic Cube.
Further, there isn't enough information to assume that Loki has been 'arrested' at all. He gives Scarlett a creepy stalker look, so he might just be throwing illusions into the HQ to have some fun with them. He's Loki, and all, that's the kind of thing Loki would do.

That's something we saw him do a lot of in Thor, now that I think about it.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Well I think it's safe to say the vastly better version of this trailer is below
/shamless plug