Ebola Cannot Be Halted or Slowed Any Time Soon, Says New Study

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
BadNewDingus said:
Artaneius said:
BadNewDingus said:
Artaneius said:
BadNewDingus said:
Considering that this is from a study where they compile a bunch of research from outside sources and make a educated guess ... I still wouldn't panic. Panic drives people mad and causes more harm. Of which, the media has done a great job of doing. I do believe that the numbers of which they're giving us could be false and are far worse, but it is kinda hard to hide anything like this these days.

Also, if the any strain was airborne the numbers of infected would be gigantic. It's just the fact that our nurses are not prepared for this sort of virus. Flu season is coming and if anyone is sick should stay the fuck home. I don't know how many times I've seen idiots go out shopping while sick and coughing everywhere. Those are the people that will spread it.
So people who are single, sick, and have no one else to take care of them aren't allowed to buy food and supplies to keep them from starving to death?
You do know you can buy almost anything online. And if you're sick, I'm sure you'll have food in the house before you got sick. It's not like you're going to run out of food from a couple of days from being sick. That's what being independent is all about. Not relying or trusting others to deal with your problems.

And yes, single people have to take care of themselves or have one of your family members come over to help. We're not talking about the end of the world here. Just don't go out when you sneezing constantly and snot coming out of your nose. I know you'll just reply, "Well, what about their job." And you know what, whenever I was sick, my boss told me to go home and yelled at me for even coming to work. You'll get others sick and only cause more harm for being a trooper.

Now, do you have any snotty retort to this post?
Yeah, I do.
* Not everyone has a stockpile of non-preparation food. Some people go shopping when they literally have no food, not when their food is low.
* Not everyone has access to the internet.
* Not everyone has access to an online grocery that delivers in their area.
* Not everyone lives in an area where their friends or family live to get groceries for them.
* Not everyone has a job where their bosses are happy for them to go home. Many people work in jobs where they will be let go if they miss more than a day of work in a row. This includes jobs which involve preparation of food.

Pretty much summarizes how wrong your post is. Most people lose their jobs if they are sick for more than a week especially if they aren't union. In democratic countries the INDIVIDUAL is more important than the community. Not everyone also has a family that is willing to do things for them, especially if they aren't getting anything out of it. If I wanted family to help me with something I would have to pay them to get it, plus pay for the actual items. Which means I might as well as get it myself.

This isn't a communist or fascist society. Where people are forced to care about others above themselves. People get sick, that's life.
Uhm, good job with the copy and paste of anothers post? You had to wait for someone to come up with a response?

Well, the post under the list is at least new. So I'll reply to that. Again, with the selfish behavior. You only care about yourself and don't care if you get an old person sick who could die from the flu. You could get a flu shot to fight it off. Unless you're those type of people that don't believe in vaccines?

Anyways, caring about others isn't a bad thing and it isn't against being a democrat either. Answer me this, if you slip and fall or passed out at work because the flu got to you ... what are you gonna do now? You could be out of work for so long that you'll probably get disability. And thus, the government is gonna take care of you. Oh wait, no one is allowed to take care of anyone in this government because you already called that fascism.
If I slip and fall at work, if my contract doesn't say about anything about short or long term medical leave which it doesn't then I'm screwed. I accepted the terms and conditions of the job when I signed the contract. If the government wishes to help me that's fine but I don't expect it. I don't expect anyone else to solve or help with my problems.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, still not bothered. I don't deal with sick people, steal soiled bedsheets, randomly share bodily fluids with anyone who is infected.

Loop Stricken said:
Maybe they should try, I dunno, not letting possibly-infected people flee the country?
Easier said than done. They can't enlist people to join hands around the country borders and form a human shield. Wouldn't help much against airplanes either.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
It's all scare tactics and fear mongering. Yes it's killed a lot of people but wanna know something interesting. In the same time span Aids/HIV has killed over 600,000 people in Africa. No ones talking about that though.

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Artaneius said:
If I slip and fall at work, if my contract doesn't say about anything about short or long term medical leave which it doesn't then I'm screwed. I accepted the terms and conditions of the job when I signed the contract. If the government wishes to help me that's fine but I don't expect it. I don't expect anyone else to solve or help with my problems.
You say that, but if it happens(hope it doesn't. I don't hope pain onto anyone) you'll be crying about how no one is helping you.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Rhykker said:
lacktheknack said:
It's still only transmitted via bodily fluids after symptoms have started, though, right?

So while this is terrifying for the African countries where ebola has a foothold, it's not going to effectively spread in countries where we quarantine sick people.

Still, utterly tragic. :(
This.

To address things other people have said, the point of this story isn't alarmism. The world is probably safe. You, dear reader, are probably safe.
Oh God oh God we're all gonna die?

OT: I haven't and will not stop comparing this to Plague, Inc./Pandemic. It all seems so absurd and potentially terrifying.

Combined with someone apparently deciding they needed to talk about the Goliath Birdeater the other day, I'm feeling rather happy to be living in Vermont, otherwise known as that-state-nobody-has-heard-of.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
...Crap

It seems unlikely, but there's no harm in at least having an escape plan. Go spend the holidays in Siberia, or Antarctica or something. On the other hand, the chances of the Thing occurring will also increase...

Conclusion:

We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
BadNewDingus said:
Artaneius said:
You say that, but if it happens(hope it doesn't. I don't hope pain onto anyone) you'll be crying about how no one is helping you.
I've had it happened before. Had to have surgery on my arms and not only did I lose my previous job, I also had to find a way to bath myself without infecting the wound etc. Because the family members that offered to help me expected to be compensated for taking care of me. Which is ridiculous. I have been in those situations before and I dealt with them by myself. This was about 4 years ago.

Life is life, adapt or get left behind. You got two feet, stand up and use them.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Verlander said:
Yeah, still not bothered. I don't deal with sick people, steal soiled bedsheets, randomly share bodily fluids with anyone who is infected.

Loop Stricken said:
Maybe they should try, I dunno, not letting possibly-infected people flee the country?
Easier said than done. They can't enlist people to join hands around the country borders and form a human shield. Wouldn't help much against airplanes either.
Ah, but if they can't BOARD the planes...

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Verlander said:

Loop Stricken said:
You can't stop an entire nation of people getting on planes because a few are diseased. Similarly, I'd imagine most transport in and out if freight, which likely can't be stopped.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Nigeria has just declared that it is currently free of Ebola again. While it isnt all sun shine and rainbows as it could cross borders again and many infected people died, it does show it can be contained. Which is good as Nigeria is the regions most densely populated country. However it has a much better health care infrastructure than other infected countries.

Capcha, Have Courage.... Wow, so inspiration, much bravery.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
So, I just want to say one thing:

CALM THE FUCK DOWN, YOU'RE NOT GONNA GET EBOLA

Everyone assumes that this means ebola is going to run rampant across the world. This is flat-out wrong. It's beyond control specifically in Africa. It's, sadly, going to claim many more lives down there before the epidemic stops, but in the rest of the world? Nope. The virus has a ridiculously hard time actually infecting people*, and anyone who's suspected of being infected is isolated instantly to prevent further spread.

So, please don't panic out of fear of getting ebola. That's both stupid and disrespectful towards all the people actually affected by this.

* the virus isn't contagious during the incubation period, and you need to get bodily fluids from a sick individual into your bloodstream to get infected yourself. It's theoretically possible to get infected if a sick individual sneezes directly in your face and you get droplets in your eye, but keep in mind that ebola does not cause sick individuals to sneeze.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Alright, so this is a thing that is going on in the world. I have not personally been down there, I have not seen it and all I have to base myself on is the news and the internet, and we all know how trustworthy those are at this point don't we?

Regardless of what the truth of this situation is, even if it's worse than we think it's hardly shocking to me. I mean, you have a dense population that don't even have clean water or enough resourses to deal with the sick it's only natural that something like this flourishes.

I just find it strange that so many people seem to think that humans are above the natural order of things. It's the worlds way of saying we are not supposed to live there or in that way.
Also, we already know this is how the world works, so why are people surprised whenever a epedemic or something comes around?

I don't know, it just feels like feeling sorry for a fish that is dying because it's trying to live on land.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Meanwhile, in Nigeria... [http://io9.com/how-nigeria-stopped-ebola-dead-in-its-tracks-1648390740]

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Verlander said:
Loop Stricken said:
Verlander said:

Loop Stricken said:
You can't stop an entire nation of people getting on planes because a few are diseased.
Not with that attitude, anyway.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
O maestre said:
Nothing special really, just keep avoid mutating the disease with any symptoms besides coughing. As for transmission avoid the ones that increase mutation, and always evolve drug resistance. By the time the world is 100% infected you bring on the apocalypse!

Granted this is a general tactic and some of the more special diseases like nano-virus or necroa require other tactics

Ebola has only infected 3 countries so far, so odds are that it is still a controllable situation. That of course depends on if our governments start pitching in, not just with money but primarily with staff, right now most of the medical staff are still just volunteers. There are some problems that money cannot fix.
See, I tend to use drowsiness and paranoia so that I have an easy route to insanity. I love insanity. Even still, those first two are the only symptoms I've been using, and they automatically don't wanna see a doctor in-game. They notice after a while of this, but I pump it through liquid and air while strengthening its defenses. It's when it's gotten down to having to fight the cure that I put on the lethal and soon head for the big one.

In any case, it's not the pitching in I'm worriied about having or not having, but more the quality of that support. We can't have more Texas follies. Hell to the no, on that one.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Verlander said:
Loop Stricken said:
Verlander said:

Loop Stricken said:
You can't stop an entire nation of people getting on planes because a few are diseased.
Not with that attitude, anyway.
Pessimists will doom this world

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Svarr said:
And this is how the end of the world started, friggin finally. :v

Was a shitty place anyway.
The planet earth is quite wonderful actually. The human race? Not so much.