Edge Games "Completely Certain" of Legal Victory

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I think there should be some law in regards to what is or is not a video games company.

For instance, if you spend your time suing people instead of making games, you are not a video games company. Get the fuck out.

The_Amaster

Dec 15, 2008
Wow, whats with some of the EA hate in here? Four years ago, yeah, but they've really cleaned up their act as of late.

Also,
Break said:
Oh, Tim, you silly, silly man. The press isn't biased towards EA at all. Surely you must be able to understand, even in this strange little world you seem to inhabit, that the press is biased against you.
This

ctrl-alt-postal

Nov 16, 2009
Surely this tim "fucktard" langdell (That's right, you don't even deserve capital letters you tosspot) is reaching the "EDGE" of credibility???

I think his about to get "EDGUCATED" by EA and the LAW for fraudulant conduct and intent to subvert justice by perjury.

He claims to be developing games that can be proven to not exist. The only artwork for said games ever produced has been traced to third party artists who have given NO permission for said artwork to be used by fucktard.

So he is claiming copywrite infringement for the use of his company moniker, a company that has no games presently in production, but claims to by infringing copywrite on someone elses art to promote the falsehood of his company being a legitimate legal entity?

So:
Fraud
Copywrite Infringement
Willfull deception to a court of law

What kind of punishment can he expect in US or UK courts for this?

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
ctrl-alt-postal said:
What kind of punishment can he expect in US or UK courts for this?
I think having every dollar stripped from him and forbidding him from ever making a penny above minimum wage would be appropriate.

Oh, and he should be sued every time he uses the word "the" because he clearly did not invent it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Wait, so essentially no one can use the word "Edge" in their games titles now?
What the hell?

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
EDGE EDGE EDGE EDGE EDGE.

I still think they should just rename the iPod application from Edge to "Timmy Langdell is a douchebag", then everyone can be happy.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
this stupid company is the reason behind why soul edge became soul calibur.
not cos they had a case, but because namco couldn't be bothered dragging it through the courts.

Ossum

Apr 19, 2009
And in other news, many small-time game makers have discovered that intellectual property trolling produces greater income in a viciously tight market with far less risk. Such litigation works because of the nebulous nature of copyrights, trademarks, and patents in the United States. High-profile companies find settlements for several million dollars less expensive than a protracted legal battle with trolls who have nothing but legal expenses. Captain Obvious has the story, Captain?

CO: "I'm standing here with Tim Langdell of Edge Games, whose protracted legal battle with EA seems set to come to a conclusion. Tim, what can you tell us?"
TL: "Well captain, I realized several years ago that actually producing content people would buy is just a ridiculous amount of work and very, very risky for someone of little real talent such as myself. I thought if I could trademark something conspicuous that would likely show up in a video game, like Death, War, Rocket, or Edge, that I could just sue people all day for using my trademark without my permission."
CO: "Do you currently have any licensing agreements for other companies to use any of your trademarks?"
TL: "Hell no, then I couldn't sue them. This whole EA thing is just the tip of the iceberg. Once companies see that I can get money from the thousand-pound gorillas, it'll be all over. I'll sue for characters dangling off the edge of cliffs. I'll sue for the edges of swordsmen's blades. And every single game company will settle instead of being hauled into court for a third of their entire game library. All I'll have paid is the cost of a few hours of lawyer time. Essentially I'd be making over $3,000,000 an hour, and I won't even be doing the actual work!"
CO: "So instead of producing your own content which could make you money, you'll be parasitically siphoning value off the creations of other people who inadvertently use your protected IP in their products."
TL: "That's it exactly, Captain. With valuation in nearly every game company I expect to buy a little beachfront property in Hawaii in the next few weeks. All my work can be done through teleconferencing with my legal team, you know. Can we wrap this up? I have a tee time with the guys from some patent-holding companies. We need to talk about how to search for vulnerable companies to sue that will probably settle immediately, to establish a precedent before taking on the big guys."
CO: "Sure thing, Tim. Just a tip though, make sure you don't slice the ball, the edge of the club can really screw up your shot."
TL: "I'm suing you."

CO: "Well folks, you heard it here first; Tim Langdell of Edge Games is about to sueball the entire universe next week. This is Captain Obvious for NotReallyNews.com."

Thanks, Captain Obvious. We'll have more on this story as it unfolds.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
DoW Lowen said:
EDGE EDGE EDGE EDGE EDGE.

I still think they should just rename the iPod application from Edge to "Timmy Langdell is a douchebag", then everyone can be happy.
This made my day, although they should do just barely enough to avoid legal repercussions ("Jimmy Fangdell is a douchebag") and then have a disclaimer "Any reference to humans, living or dead, is entirely coincidental." (The loophole here is that Langdell isn't really human at all.)

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
I think I'll go trademark the letter 'e' now. Just so I can sue Edge games for using my letter three times without my consent.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Woodsey said:
"Isn't it amazing how biased towards Electronic Arts the press is on this? When did EA suddenly become the good guys?"

I think you'll find EA became the good guys when the opposition became morons like you, good sir.
Exactly. Plus attacking the person is a weak attempt at arguing. Really Edge Games is Full. Of. Shit. In this case anyway. I mean is this really all Tim Langdell going to bother doing? Just sue anybody with Edge anywhere near their game?

Archemetis said:

That sums up my opinion on the subject.
Yes. Very true.

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
HG131 said:
Do you think the WWE Superstar Edge pays him for that stage name?
LOL, i never thought of that. That is a good question, I think if they're going to sue Mobigame for something so silly, they may as well go the whole 10 yards.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I have to wonder - does Tim even have any employees? I mean, the lawyers would be hired from a law firm, but does anyone actually work inside Edge but him? And if so, doing what?

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
If I had a Death Note, I know one name I would write in it. And I would specify the death to be a million paper cuts from the edges of all the BS legal documents this guy creates.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I'm gonna start a company with a 'the' in the name.
Then I'll sue everyone who dares use the 'the' word in any of their products.
Genius.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
And this is why copyright is bullshit.

To think that adults can be so immature.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
They threatened to sue EA over Mirrors Edge? That's ridiculous xD

I think they're just trolling because they aren't getting much attention these days.