Editor's Note: Changing with Change

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
Quote: "You won't find here ... reviews where the commentator's personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism."

Okay this made me lol a bit, because the vast majority of this site's traffic is initially brought by Yahtzee, who is the very definition of a reviewer whose "personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism". Now to be fair he also brings up a lot of excellent points and has a great deal of insight to share, but ... still lol.

Note: I happen to loooooove Zero Punctuation and it's the reason I even know about this site, so if the ultra heavy handed mods could refrain from banning or warning me, that would be awesome (a spade's a spade).

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Wait, you've only been on here for a year? I could have sworn you were here when I joined...

Anyways, good luck!

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
"You won't find one-sidedly optimistic previews here, or reviews where the commentator's personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism."
Did anyone else immediately think of Yahtzee, lol

Oh, and congrats on the promotion, person who's name I'll never stop finding hilarious.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Kanatatsu said:
Quote: "You won't find here ... reviews where the commentator's personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism."

Okay this made me lol a bit, because the vast majority of this site's traffic is initially brought by Yahtzee, who is the very definition of a reviewer whose "personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism". Now to be fair he also brings up a lot of excellent points and has a great deal of insight to share, but ... still lol.

Note: I happen to loooooove Zero Punctuation and it's the reason I even know about this site, so if the ultra heavy handed mods could refrain from banning or warning me, that would be awesome (a spade's a spade).
Yahtzee himself has made it very, very clear- he's not a reviewer, he's a critic.

OT: Congratulation Steve, now maybe you'll be a bit more receptive to my demands? I was trying to get Russ to give me control over your servers and funding for a secret volcano lair, but my lunch-meat-ification ray was still a prototype back then.

TL;DR, I need a 100 billion dollars or you'll be turned into smoked deli ham. Literally. By Monday.

EDIT: And you're next, whoever holds the rights to Austin Powers! Not letting me embed videos! Phlakes will have his revenge (and some nice cured salami)!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Heh, Wargames Guy has a nice ring to it.

Congrats and good luck!

off topic: The only thing I've heard about the dot-com crash is that it hit a lot of companies like a brick to the face.

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
I'm genuinely curious, how much can we read into this switchover as being from the same financial problems that cause the Escapist not to pay several of it's contributors?

How bad is your financial situation, exactly? I understand if you guys don't want to release any specifics, but I would be genuinely sad if this site disappeared.

Funny that such a critically regarded site can still be in this sort of financial trouble. Overspending or under-advertising?

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Whenever I see this kind of article the first thing I do is:
Ctrl + F, "deliver the same high quality content you've come to expect"

and wouldn't you know it, most of the time it's there.

OT: Interesting to see a new Editor-in-Chief.

At least I have a vague idea of who you are and what your contributions were to the Escapist. Good luck

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Well, now that you're in the Captains chair will you start cackling maniacally?

Oh and congrats, you deserve it Steve! :)

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Hey Steve. I hope your first action as king is to remove all warnings from everyone, youknow. To show that you care!

Ehemn. Congratulations on the job. Read some of your articles they were great.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Congratulations Steve~!

After hearing you throughout the various podcasts I have to say, I'm really looking forward to where you'll take the site. If all goes well, I'll be joining the publisher's club around Christmas time in support of you and the rest of the site~!

Best of luck with your new job. : )

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Steve Butts said:
Editor's Note: Changing with Change

Meet The Escapist's new Editor-in-Chief.

Read Full Article
EiC? Captain? Pffft.

You'll always be Doctor Strange to me. ;D

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
A Jules Verne quote in your first post as chief!
I couldn't be happier!

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
'reviews where the commentator's personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism.'

I can think of a very obvious example where this is not the case, and I'm actually not talking about Yahtzee. That said, I still watch their shows and enjoy their stuff, even if I think one of their shows excels the one they started out with.
It doesn't detract from the fact that The Escapist is my favourite website. Period.
Not my favourite games site, not my favourite video site- my favourite site.

I've really enjoyed your reviews in the past, Steve, so I'm delighted you're taking up the reigns.

To mash up cultural references...

'Perry White has left the building.

Long live Perry White!'

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Does the Editor-in-Chief's chair have a mini fridge and a built in comm-system?
If it doesn't then I think that should be your first order as the new boss!

Also, congratulations on the new job!