Editor's Note: Changing with Change

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Glad to see the Facebook commentators all share the same highbrow sense of humour.

Best of luck to you Steve! I hope you'll think of a nice way to end your articles, though Russ' /Fingergun will be hard to top..

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
Phlakes said:
Kanatatsu said:
Quote: "You won't find here ... reviews where the commentator's personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism."

Okay this made me lol a bit, because the vast majority of this site's traffic is initially brought by Yahtzee, who is the very definition of a reviewer whose "personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism". Now to be fair he also brings up a lot of excellent points and has a great deal of insight to share, but ... still lol.

Note: I happen to loooooove Zero Punctuation and it's the reason I even know about this site, so if the ultra heavy handed mods could refrain from banning or warning me, that would be awesome (a spade's a spade).
Yahtzee himself has made it very, very clear- he's not a reviewer, he's a critic.
Right, that's a distinction without any difference. Also known as splitting hairs.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I just hope you're not as evil as your avatar makes you seem. Seriously, look how devious that thing looks!

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Steve actually does things here? I thought they just paid him to bask in the glory of his mustache. Congrats on your successful coup though Steve.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Congrats on the new position. Just don't drop the ball. 'Cause if you do *Shakes Fist*

I kid. I'm sure the site's going to go from strength to strength under your Editorship.

Also I remember mention of a mobile app in development that was due this Summer... any news on that?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Steve Butts said:

Meet The Escapist's new Editor-in-Chief.

Read Full Article
Congratulations Steve.

I'm quite interested to see whats to come under the authority of Doctor Strange.

martyrdrebel27 said:
can you give us tl;dr version?
I hope that is a joke.

Reading is a very good skill to have. It does seem with the attention span of readers these days, pretty soon articles in newspapers, magazines, and online publications will have to be only one to two good sentences, because any longer and people won't read because they don't have more than a few seconds to read, because their lives are soooo "busy".

Continuity

May 20, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
Steve Butts said:

Meet The Escapist's new Editor-in-Chief.

Read Full Article
can you give us tl;dr version?
Butts says "hi".

OT: I look forward to seeing where you take the Escapist from here, I like the staff, the content and the general ethos and community at the Escapist but it seems to me like its been going though a tough time lately.
I hope your comments about companies not adapting and getting left behind don't prove prophetic!

Kanatatsu said:
Phlakes said:
Kanatatsu said:
Quote: "You won't find here ... reviews where the commentator's personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism."

Okay this made me lol a bit, because the vast majority of this site's traffic is initially brought by Yahtzee, who is the very definition of a reviewer whose "personal likes and dislikes masquerade as actual criticism". Now to be fair he also brings up a lot of excellent points and has a great deal of insight to share, but ... still lol.

Note: I happen to loooooove Zero Punctuation and it's the reason I even know about this site, so if the ultra heavy handed mods could refrain from banning or warning me, that would be awesome (a spade's a spade).
Yahtzee himself has made it very, very clear- he's not a reviewer, he's a critic.
Right, that's a distinction without any difference. Also known as splitting hairs.
Not really, you can criticise and comment on a game without reviewing it at all. A review is something very specific, criticism is not.
As for Yhatzee he's more entertainer than journalist, his videos are funny rather than informative.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
*Salute" I hope that as your first order of business you remedy the distinct lack of Shamus Young that this website has.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
Welcome. Let's just hope you don't make the same mistake your predecessor made and get into a dispute with one of the more popular contributors, which forced them to leave.

I'm talking of course about Extra Credits.

And yes, I agree with some people here. We need more Shamus Young. :)

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
The question we all want to have answered:

Do you have a finger?

And more importantly:

Do you have a gun?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Congratulations on the new position. For whatever it's worth, I've always enjoyed your reviews and articles. I'm sure you'll be fantastic in the top dog position 'round here. :)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Sorry I'm late to the party, but I, too, want to welcome our new EiC. I was very happy when I found out who the new EiC would be, as I'm familiar with Mr. Butts' work and know he'll do good for this site.
So, congratulations to the new job and I hope the best for you. Btw, you still haven't changed your title on the forums ;)