Elder Scrolls Online Screenshots Fail To Impress

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Oh, christ, I was exited when I thought something elder scrolls related was being announced, but this is about the worst possible thing they could do with the series. I do find it funny that Jim Sterling happily ranted about how Skyrim proved that games with good single player could stand on their own without multiplayer (something I completely agree with), and now they announce this. It's part of an ongoing trend of stamping IP's on things they shouldn't be stamped on to generate easy profit. Besides, how is a game focused around exploration, freedom, modding, and becoming a god among men going to possibly work as an mmo? Short answer, it won't.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
TheCommanders said:
Oh, christ, I was exited when I thought something elder scrolls related was being announced, but this is about the worst possible thing they could do with the series. I do find it funny that Jim Sterling happily ranted about how Skyrim proved that games with good single player could stand on their own without multiplayer (something I completely agree with), and now they announce this. It's part of an ongoing trend of stamping IP's on things they shouldn't be stamped on to generate easy profit. Besides, how is a game focused around exploration, freedom, modding, and becoming a god among men going to possibly work as an mmo? Short answer, it won't.
The interview with Paul sage already confirmed there is normal ES exploration in the game, and that users will be able to mod SOME things like the UI

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
TheCommanders said:
The interview with Paul sage already confirmed there is normal ES exploration in the game, and that users will be able to mod SOME things like the UI
Yeah, see, I read that interview, and it was almost sad, really: it sounds like he's starting to realize this might have been a bad idea. Rearranging your UI isn't modding, and is something that most MMORPGs pander to by default already, and that's all that they've said we'll be able to change. By normal ES exploration, what they actually mean, confirmed in another interview, is MMORPG style linear progression from leveled area to leveled area. Also, many of the things people enjoy about Elder Scroll games, like owning houses, messing around with things in towns, and so on, are not easy to implement in an MMO, and the same Paul Sage you are referring to confirmed that they won't be doing any of that. I don't want to talk too much smack, as obviously I haven't heard all the details of the game and could still be proved wrong, but I'm resolving not to get my hopes up.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
TheCommanders said:
Yeah, see, I read that interview, and it was almost sad, really: it sounds like he's starting to realize this might have been a bad idea. Rearranging your UI isn't modding, and is something that most MMORPGs pander to by default already, and that's all that they've said we'll be able to change.
They never said that was the ONLY thing we would be able to change.

TheCommanders said:
By normal ES exploration, what they actually mean, confirmed in another interview, is MMORPG style linear progression from leveled area to leveled area.
I suggest you re-read the GI article again, it never said that.

They said some areas would require that you level up to be able to explore, but not that it was a leveled area -> leveled area type game.

TheCommanders said:
Also, many of the things people enjoy about Elder Scroll games, like owning houses, messing around with things in towns, and so on, are not easy to implement in an MMO, and the same Paul Sage you are referring to confirmed that they won't be doing any of that.
Wrong, in the 20 minute video interview he confirmed there are tons of clickable objects in the world for people who like to be able to interact with things

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The lack of showing Character Select Screens is disturbing.

I won't hate the game until I play it however.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
When are these companies going to get it through their heads?

We wanted KOTOR 3, not an MMO.
We wanted Dragon Quest X to be a single player JRPG, not an MMO.
We don't want the next TES games to be an MMO.

Sure, you say it's not TES VI but it's own separate project. You know it's going to affect TES VI.

Also, I just think people are sick of MMO's. People who want that will play WoW but many people have been on that roller coaster for years and are finally sick of it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Crono1973 said:

Sure, you say it's not TES VI but it's own separate project. You know it's going to affect TES VI.

Also, I just think people are sick of MMO's. People who want that will play WoW but many people have been on that roller coaster for years and are finally sick of it.
Zenimax online was created specifically as to not affect Bethesda and the making of thier SP Elder scrolls games.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Don Savik said:
Is it me or does the texture quality look like shit? I know mmos have to be sub-par compared to other games but this is just.....bleh. Looks like ps3 launch title quality.

Also, HUGE problem. That could pass as a screenshot for Rift or LOTRO or DDO. Nothing about the style tells me its Elder Scrolls. In fact, I probably wouldn't have even guessed that if you didn't tell me.
I agree, I see nothing indicative of Elder Scrolls. Just generic high (bland) fantasy.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Jaeke said:
I have that issue and let me say: That screenshot is NOTHING like the rest, I have no idea why they decided to use that particular one for the helm.
Yeah, I'd really like to know why they thought that would make a good promotional image.

His mouth...

It's like a dark void...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
SajuukKhar said:
Crono1973 said:

Zenimax online was created specifically as to not affect Bethesda and the making of thier SP Elder scrolls games.
Yes but the existence of the MMO will no doubt have an affect on TES VI. Gameplay/story elements will surely cross over. Who knows, you may never see TES VI if TES MMO does well and makes it seem financially stupid to make more single player games.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
The colors look so... pale, as if the designers had no brighter hues to work with.

I can't say I'm exited yet. Give some juicy info and I might, and that's a big might, consider a purchase.

Or just wait for it to go free-to-play. It's what I'm doing for ToR.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Yes but the existence of the MMO will no doubt have an affect on TES VI. Gameplay/story elements will surely cross over. Who knows, you may never see TES VI if TES MMO does well and makes it seem financially stupid to make more single player games.
Pete Hines already confirmed the MMO has not, and will not, affect any future games Bethesda makes.

Furthermore the MMO is set 1,000 years before Skyrim as to not interfere with the development of the main series's plot.

the most we will see about TES Online in a future, SP, game is a book saying "some shiz happened back at this point in time".

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Crono1973 said:

They are part of the same company so money that is used for ES:eek:nline could have been used for VI and a failure in one will effect the other.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
TheCommanders said:
Yeah, see, I read that interview, and it was almost sad, really: it sounds like he's starting to realize this might have been a bad idea. Rearranging your UI isn't modding, and is something that most MMORPGs pander to by default already, and that's all that they've said we'll be able to change.
They never said that was the ONLY thing we would be able to change.
Correct, I meant that that's the only thing they've said so far that we'll be able to change. He also said they did not have big modding plans:

"Right now we don't have a large modding plan."
-Paul Sage

SajuukKhar said:
TheCommanders said:
By normal ES exploration, what they actually mean, confirmed in another interview, is MMORPG style linear progression from leveled area to leveled area.
I suggest you re-read the GI article again, it never said that.

They said some areas would require that you level up to be able to explore, but not that it was a leveled area -> leveled area type game.
I should clarify. They stated that new areas would be unlocked as you level up, which means you will have to progress through them in the order they decide on, rather than (as is elder scroll tradition) in whatever order you want, with certain areas slightly harder or easier. So there is exploration (of a sort) but not Elder Scrolls style exploration. I understand that they sort of have to do it this way, operating as they are under the current model for MMORPGs, but there you are.

SajuukKhar said:
TheCommanders said:
Also, many of the things people enjoy about Elder Scroll games, like owning houses, messing around with things in towns, and so on, are not easy to implement in an MMO, and the same Paul Sage you are referring to confirmed that they won't be doing any of that.
Wrong, in the 20 minute video interview he confirmed there are tons of clickable objects in the world for people who like to be able to interact with things
In this article, which sums up the first details about TES Online:

http://www.examiner.com/article/first-details-for-the-elder-scrolls-online-leak-out

it specifically says that players will not be able to own houses.

As for the second part I said, I should have been more specific. A MMO world has certain restrictions which mean a player cannot alter the environment as much, because it affects the other player's game space. As such, objects can be interacted with, but not physically manipulated or moved.

So what I said was correct, but I see what you thought I meant.

Finally, in regard to the actual topic of this thread, I saw someone comment that this sort of art style is necessary for MMOs, as it ages better. To that I say: when it looks aged to begin with there's a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Darknacht said:
They are part of the same company so money that is used for ES:eek:nline could have been used for VI and a failure in one will effect the other.
The money used in the making of ESO was raised specifically for it. Had the MMO not been made, they would never have had the money.

TheCommanders said:
Ahh I misunderstood what you had said then, they way you said it seemed to imply that you meant "they said this is the only thing we will be allowed to change". Furthermore I could see something similar to Star trek Online's foundry being made that allows user created missions.

For number 2 I suggest you go back and play Morrowind, Daggerfall, or Arena, those games had MANY areas that you could not get to and explore without leveling up. It was only Oblivion and Skyrim that introduced scaling enemies which allowed for it. Most games in the series have been closer to how the MMO plays out.

For the third point, I know we cant own houses, and I did misunderstand what you meant.