Elder Scrolls Turns V at Spike VGAs

2up

Jun 15, 2009
Ophiuchus said:
Tom Goldman said:
Don't know if it's worth mentioning, since there's so many comments here about the 'same old engine' etc: Bethesda have confirmed that it uses a brand new engine. http://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/14010984884604929
Of course, but they never denied using an updated Gamebryo engine though. If I can recall, the latest Fallout used an updated Gamebryo engine. Personally, I think the engine is an ugly and outdated crapfest that has always been riddled with game breaking bugs, graphical glitches and awkward animations. Unacceptable really. In all likelihood they are using an updated version of Gamebryo and passing it off as brand new. This is what I believe until Bethesda actually states explicitly that it is a new engine created from the ground up. Otherwise, it is a tremendous disappointment to a lot of knowledgeable and tech-savvy gamers.

In the meantime, check out the latest Uncharted 3 gameplay video. Bethesda would do well to see how Naughty Dog improved their engine.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Yay for the news, but the teaser trailer sucked. I wanted to see a villian, a hero or SOMETHING.
Sorry, if I had watched the travesty that was the VGAs just for the new trailers, I at least wanted kickassness in said trailer to cover up for me having to listen to Dane Cook talk about anything.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Oh Oh Oh just thought of a joke. " This just in the new elder scrolls game " The elder scrolls skyrim " Will only be playable on Kinect and Move. Betheseda has just reported " We just don't wanna make a PC version " What will this mean for the elder scrolls series? Stay tuned to find out "

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
The whole announcement made me squeal like a girl, but one thing that made me super happy was the music. I love that they've been incorperating a unified set of themes and motifs for the past 3 or 4 games, and this doesn't dissapoint. It's glorious.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Sweet fucking jesus it's about time! I have no idea how this game is going to turn out, but Bethesda hasn't let me down yet, hopefully this will be another game worth spending more than a hundred hours of my life in.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
This is so god damn awesome! I have been waiting for this day since i finished oblivion!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ionveau said:
It better change the engine or it will suck hard how old is their engine like 15 by now?
Oblivion just looked like a shinier version of Morrowind, so dont count on it.

Game will be buggy as hell, just like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Will likely fall to the modding community to make it playable.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Next Elder Scrolls game? set in Skyrim?

Okay, I'm completely sold! And if Nord's are playable, I'll start my first playthrough as one.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
ionveau said:
Double A said:
ionveau said:
It better change the engine or it will suck hard how old is their engine like 15 by now?
Oblivion came out 4 years ago.

They should at least refine the engine so you can move stuff other than what you can pick up. "DERP THIS CHAIR IS INVINCIBLE!"
Oblivion came out in 1998 then in 2000 then in 2006 i think look it up

the oblivion from 2000 and 2006 both used the same engine and both engines are awkward and annoying to play with
Dude, you're thinking of The Elder Scrolls, which is the series. Oblivion in the fourth game in the TES series.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
I'll tip my hat to Bethesda and get ready to pay through the nose for this.
Crud.. Me and my elderscrolls obsession =/

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
ionveau said:
Double A said:
ionveau said:
Oblivion came out 4 years ago.

They should at least refine the engine so you can move stuff other than what you can pick up. "DERP THIS CHAIR IS INVINCIBLE!"
Oblivion came out in 1998 then in 2000 then in 2006 i think look it up

the oblivion from 2000 and 2006 both used the same engine and both engines are awkward and annoying to play with
Ah, a troll I see.

Still doesn't work, because no TES games were released in the year 2000. And Redguard, which came out in 1998 is actually pretty different to the other games in the series.

TES and Metal Gear, the two places where I have super-nerd-knowledge.
Axelord FTW said:
If I check my old Thamriel map, Skirim is smaller than Cyrodiil.

I hope they either extend the canonical playing area or let you wander of (go to) untold locations (islands, Oblivions, other planes).
I wouldn't worry too much. They can sort of... stretch the worldspace out. I mean, would any of the towns from Oblivion really be that small?

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
ImprovizoR said:
They said on their twitter that it's a brand new engine. And they also said that it's a heavily modified previous engine. I guess both claims are kinda truth. You know CoD4, MW2 and BO run on a heavily modified Quake 3 engine. So it is possible to pimp the shit out of the engine.
As I said, my final verdict will be based on game footage and then actual screenshots.

I do hope you are aware that CoD isn't really a graphical masterpiece? I have seen little to none graphical steps up since the MW1 game. There is a reason why it's locked 60 FPS you know. If I would compare it to Gears of War 2, CoD pretty much gets the short stick. But that's just bashing on CoD again.

I am not holding my breathe but I hope for a new engine with TES V.
I am just saying that you can upgrade the engine drastically. CoD engine isn't even called Quake 3 engine anymore but that's what it is. I never said that CoD was a graphical masterpiece. It's actually pretty ugly sometimes.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
i just hope they will release a bug-free game for a change.
And make it balanced. And mayyybe coop multiplayer. That last one would make my day.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Twad said:
i just hope they will release a bug-free game for a change.
And make it balanced. And mayyybe coop multiplayer. That last one would make my day.
Lol yeah, and maybe it will come with a jetpack that uses water as fuel.
If it's Elder Scrolls, it's huge, it's buggy and it's not perfectly balanced, and if it's an awesome RPG, it will be single player.
You might as well hope for it to cure AIDS.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Well, I'm now pleased. This is honestly the only game that I will, for sure, 100% positive, no other choice, buy. I just sincerely hope that the game aims to be more of a compromise between Oblivion's general gameplay and Morrowind's overall formula focusing on skill (and having lots of skills to choose from, no less).

Oh, and that guy who thought up the leveled loot, enemies, quests, and everything that could have been good in Oblivion? Yeah... Fire that guy. Twice.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
Seeing as how Oblivion and Mass Effect were my first major time sinks on 360, I couldn't be more excited unless they were both coming out tomorrow.