Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Dragonborn DLC files found in latest patch

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Politeia said:
I wouldn't mind werebears, but I don't get the feeling that the skeleton butler/giant mudcrabs were serious suggestions. The pitchblack dungeon that was showcased would be very, very interesting. The lighting in the game often renders things like torches and the candle/magelight spells useless.

Pure speculation here, but the unconvered files mention a "benthic" area. For those who don't know, the benthic zone is the lowest point of a body of water. For deep trenches, the benthic zone is pitch black where light particles can't penetrate. If the eruption of Red Mountain opened a trench near Solstheim where some important temple had sank in a long forgotten era then we might just have a really interesting dungeon crawl where oxygen would be as important as lighting. The issue, to date, is that you can't fight underwater. Something that would have to change in an upcoming patch if I'm even partly correct.
Dawnguard got half-way to darker dungeons, many of the caves were several times darker then base game dungeons.

What is interesting to note is that the files also have a benthic lurker creature. the return of the Dreugh perhaps?
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_36_Lessons_of_Vivec
"Under the sea, Seht stirred and brought the army he had been working on in the castles of glass and coral. Clockwork dreughs, mockeries of the Dwemeri war machines, rose up from the seas and took their counterparts back beneath, where they were swallowed forever by the sea."

If they did make underwater combat I suspect it would be limited to daggers.

Spiritofpower said:
Hopefully the next Hearthfire-sized one will have giant Mudcrabs. That would be so insanely awesome. And a new skeleton follower who can also be a steward for your Heartfire house, if you have it. And, heck, add in Werebears while they're at it.
While giant mudcrabs do exist, the Dunmer Redorn house even summoned the massive emperor crab to take its old shell, which was large enough to have 5 large mansions and several stores in it, during the Oblivion crisis, I doubt we will see them in-game.

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/fall-aldruhn
From the annals of the Crisis:

"The armies of Oblivion destroy Ald?ruhn, ancestral home of House Redoran, even though ancient rituals were used to awaken the dread emperor crab and the whole city literally rose up to fight the invaders. With their warrior House decimated, the dunmer of Vvardenfell fall back as daedra move towards a siege of Ghost Gate. Prayers to Vivec and the Nerevarine go unanswered."

Merry Christmas, V, and holiday cheer to everyone!

-MK

REMEMBER REDORAN. NEVER FORGET.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Politeia said:
I'm thinking the benthic lurker is going to be an original creation, I obviously have my heart set on some kind of abyssal encounter though. Revisiting places we've already seen doesn't excite me nearly as much as exploring new areas, but given that Skyrim is smack dab in the middle of 3 of the 4 previous games that's somewhat inevitable. Though I am legitimately hoping we'll get to glimpse some of the wreckage that Morrowind became since the Red Year.

I'd say the Dreugh are a distinct possibility, Bethesda is really dipping into the Morrowind bestiary for this one. Though that fact does have me wondering why we haven't uncovered guar in the files, they were ubiquitous in Morrowind.
If the files relating to Herma-Mora turn out to be a big deal then who knows what sort of weird lovecraftian horrors that guy could unleash, he is keeper of all forbidden knowledge.

Mororwind is being rebuilt, I mean its been nearly 200 years since the Red Year, so I doubt its still THAT bad. Dunmer have moved back to Mournhold and the such.

MOURNHOLD, CITY OF LIGHT, CITY OF MAGIC!

As for the Guar, I suspect that they might no be able to survive in the cold, though that's all guesswork.

Politeia said:
I don't think it's going to happen, if it did it would be limited to a sort of puzzle deal involving lighting and water physics. Underwater combat is far too unwieldy to be practical.
true, very true.

swinging a massive deadric hammer on land would be hard enough, doing it underwater would be impossible.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Hopefully it'll be worth purchasing- I loved Skyrim- played for about 170 hours, just one character after all. However, both DLC packs so far sounded so very bland to me that I didn't bother picking either of them up. Hopefully this new one will add a substantial amount of new, fresh content.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Woo! The thread has recovered and stabalized again.

I hope they don't add underwater combat, I already can't see underwater on my Skyrim, probably because of a mod.......

Didn't Herma-Mora take the heart of Lorkan in Skyrim once you did that quest to open the dwemer box for septimus? If so maybe that will be involved again somehow or some other horrible and terribly powerful artifact of some kind that he has.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Dandark said:
Woo! The thread has recovered and stabalized again.

I hope they don't add underwater combat, I already can't see underwater on my Skyrim, probably because of a mod.......

Didn't Herma-Mora take the heart of Lorkan in Skyrim once you did that quest to open the dwemer box for septimus? If so maybe that will be involved again somehow or some other horrible and terribly powerful artifact of some kind that he has.
Herma-Mora told Septimus the heart was in the box, but it never was, Herma-Mora was just using Septimus to free the Oghma Infinium.

No one knows where the heart of Lorkhan is, after it was freed by the Nerevarine at the end of Mororwind, it vanished somewhere. Where it went however, is anyone's guess.

*edit*
someone made a interesting observation
Look at this picture of an Elven helmet

Now look at the Dragonborn brackets on the map icon image found in the DLC files

they look oddly similar.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Arnold Judas Rimmer said:
For some reason when I heard the title I was expecting some sort of Super Saiyan-esque Dragon Born transformation :s
VAGETA! WHAT DOES THE SCANNER SAY ABOUT HIS POWER LEVEL?!

ITS OVER 9000 DRAGON SOULS!!!

WHAT 9000 DRAGON SOULS?

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Speaking of Solstheim I hope that at some point they add a quest like Raven Rock to skyrim, because of Hearthfire we already have a system that allows us to build stuff, imagine being able to build an entire city! Maybe you could even be Jarl of the town and you would be able to manage it.
By Ysmir's beard, make it happen, Bethesda!

Spiritofpower

Aug 29, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
For some reason when I heard the title I was expecting some sort of Super Saiyan-esque Dragon Born transformation :s
VAGETA! WHAT DOES THE SCANNER SAY ABOUT HIS POWER LEVEL?!

ITS OVER 9000 DRAGON SOULS!!!

WHAT 9000 DRAGON SOULS?
WHAT 9000!? THERE'S NO WAY THAT CAN BE RIGHT?
I wouldn't be so sure! I'll have you know I was trained in the art of Kaio-ken!

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Apparently the Benthic lurker creature has tentacle animations

https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1417456-18-beta-update-solsthiem-dlc-hints-thread-10/
BenthicLurkerHandLeftTenticles.txt
BenthicLurkerHandRightTenticles.txt
BenthicLurkerMouthTenticles.txt
BenthicLurkerStompTenticles.txt
BenthicLurkerWhipDust.txt

I dread to see what modders will use them for

RafaelNegrus

Mar 27, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
AlotFirst said:
Wouldn't angry naked Nords be the most common enemy type? Or did they go extinct?
Getting cursed and dumped by witches fell out of style decades ago when the High King of Skyrim at the time lost a part of Wuuthrad after an "encounter" with one of the Witches.

The Companions gave him such an earful that attempts by witches to paralyze people, and take their stuff, was officially declared the second worst crime in Skyrim, the first of course being allowing Lurbuk to sing.

In a meeting with the High King over the implications of the new laws, the witches agreed that simply attempting to kill people was a better option, to which the High King agreed, and noted it would probably be best for them, the Nords that is, to just attack witches on sight instead of trying to hit on them.

Thus began the great witch slaughter of 4E 180...... which was later very quickly forgotten when the High King lost Ysgramor's Soup Spoon, yes we all know its really a fork, to a nobody from Windhelm in a dice game.
Knowing how much Elder Scrolls Lore you know, I can't tell if you're joking or not.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Orcus The Ultimate said:
The Funniest thing is that i have all of these via Moded Content !
Your point? there is quite literally nothing that cannot be modded into Skyrim.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Orcus The Ultimate said:
The Funniest thing is that i have all of these via Moded Content !
I have some good mods but don't have some really great ones. Can you please link me to the mod that let's you ride dragons without it being glitchy as hell? Or the one that added Solsteim?

chuckdm

Apr 10, 2012
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Eh, I'll jump in on the over-openness of the open world that is Skyrim, and that's really what I think it is: just a little *too* open.

If I have no magical talent, no one in their right mind should let me become the Archmage. The Companions shouldn't have much regard for me if I fight all my battles from the back line with magic (which they repeatedly say they think is unbefitting a warrior to use).

I think the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood marry well as dual membership societies and neither one of them really interferes with becoming the Archmage if I fancy to, but I do think that the Companions would object to both of those guilds of criminals and consider any participation therein a black mark on their honor by association.

*SNIP*
Whilst I agree with your overarching point (I still think 99% of the game should be open, but there are a FEW more places where a LITTLE restriction would be good) I would like to make one correction here.

The Companions have two thinks you're forgetting here. 1) The whole werewolf thing. (I'd put up a spoiler warning but if you've read 9 pages of this post you're past that already.) 2) They value strength, and don't really care where you draw that strength from.

For example, Aela is an archer. For all their talk about their admiration for a burly dude with a bastard sword, it seems funny that both one of the most senior members, and also the one who makes the best follower, is an Archer, and they all have respect for her. That's why they wouldn't have an issue with mages. Hell, my first playthrough I went as a dual-wielding spellsword and did light armor + actual sword + bound blade/healing/sparks. When Vilkas decided to "test my arm" I summoned up a second sword. Trying later to Spark him to death he counted it as an actual attack and almost killed me. So yeah, they may not like magic, but if that magic leads to Dragonskin + Light Armor + Dual 1h swords = more damage and higher armor than any of them have, they are probably just happy to have another strong shield-sister/brother at their back.

As to their potential issues with the Thieves Guild and/or Dark Brotherhood, keep in mind your membership with those groups is, at least in theory, secret, so the Companions most likely wouldn't know. (Of course, walking through the door wearing Dark Brotherhood Armor is gonna kill this theory a bit, but...) Beyond that, especially if you complete their quests by always siding with the werewolves and never curing it, there's a good chance that the Companions will take a decidedly darker turn overall as a result if your actions, and thus it's safe to assume they'll turn a blind eye at the very least.

That said, I do still agree with most of your point. I feel like most quests would benefit from a 3-way system of choices - one "good" choice that locks out future bad options for the rest of a quest line, one "bad" choice that locks out good options, and one "neutral" choice that allows you to choose both next time around. For example, you should have the option to not just side with the stormcloaks or imperials, but also at least 1 more option to negotiate a truce (perhaps split Skyrim between them?) Hell, a totally off-the-wall side-with-the-Thalmoar option would make sense. In fact, racial choices could come into play there. That is if you picked a High Elf then Dalphine should require an extra test to prove you're not Thalmoar. But still, I agree having a wider array of outcomes would be nice. Back to someone's New Vegas reference earlier, I feel like this is something Bethesda could've learned from Obsidian, really - 2 options is seldom much of a choice.