Elder Scrolls V to Use New Engine

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Um, since when is it news for a TES game to be on a new engine... weren't they all? (excluding expansions etc)

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
Definitely the best thing I've heard in a while. While the engine never bothered me in the past, there's nothing wrong with it looking better.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Irridium said:
They can move on to putting in a diagonal walking/running animation.
Definitely! I think one of bigger flaws in Oblivion and Morrowind (and Fallout 3 & NV, since they use the same engine) is the lack of diagonal walking/running. I play in first person and try to ignore it but it REALLY ruins the immersion every time I realize my character is just sliding diagonally. Or when I get into the third-person mode to check him out.

OT: I'm really excited about Skyrim. I hope it turns out good.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Definitely good news, I would have enjoyed the game regardless though. TES is Bethesda's flagship franchise, if anything deserves a new engine and lots of time and attention, it's this.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
If it has a mental physics engine that still won't allow me to lay out all my stuff in a pleasing-to-the-eye manner without exploding in all directions when I dare to even look at them, then I'm not buying it. Exploring is all well and good, but I like to come back to my own personalised house.

I've had a perfect (extremely simple) idea to solve this problem since about a week after the release of Oblivion. But no-one listens, so they can keep being stubborn and producing crap!

On the plus side, I'm always a Nord, so Skyrim is brilliant. I may not be looked down upon, or feared, as much as previous installments!

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
Continuity said:
Um, since when is it news for a TES game to be on a new engine... weren't they all? (excluding expansions etc)
that's what I was thinking. I recall in one of the Oblivion trailers that they have some kind of ethos that compells them to make a new engine between each Elder Scrolls title.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Fan-fucking-tastic.
I was getting pretty goddamn sick of the previous monstrosity.

Now we just have to wait and see all of the horrible, terrible things that will go wrong with this one.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
daemon37 said:
My wishlist for the new engine:
1) Facial/body animations that are less wooden
2) The ability to have conversations without freezing the game.
3) LESS PROGRAM CRASHES.

tbc
4) more weapons in the game (like spears,crossbows and trowing weapons)

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
I just hope they don't add any form of modding support, just so every body modder cries.