Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Of course, otherwise people wouldn't be able to vote in the next election, their fingers would be marked until the day they died.
The only question is HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO WASH OFF THE INK.
Well according to a Lieutenant I talked to 7 minutes ago it can be washed off with warm water and gentle scrubbing.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Because they have training on how to follow orders
Yes and the one they follow orders from is the commander in chief who just so happens to be the president. You're advocating that the organisation running the election to be one that's beholden to one of the two candidates. It seems something an immoral and ruthless president could very easily abuse which becomes a huge threat when a president like Trump is in power.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Yes and the one they follow orders from is the commander in chief who just so happens to be the president.
Already covered. The guy I spoke to said he, and people like him, wouldn't lie to cover the person above him. "Just following orders" is not a valid excuse for wrongdoing, we've had that established for years.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Already covered. The guy I spoke to said he, and people like him, wouldn't lie to cover the person above him. "Just following orders" is not a valid excuse for wrongdoing, we've had that established for years.
Its so often has been an excuse for exactly that.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I heard from a friend that knows a guy who worked as a clerk at one of the polling places who talked to the janitor who heard that there was a van delivering mysterious stuff to the polling place! Sure, it was marked TONY'S PIZZA and it was a lot of pizza shaped boxes and when you opened the boxes, pizza was inside but who's to say that there weren't ballots taped to the bottom of the pizza?!?!?!

You can't prove it didn't happen.

#CheckmateLibtards
#FourMoreYears
#PizzaGate2.0
#WasTonyInOnIt
#TonyWasFoundDead!!!!
#Conspiracy
#SmashThatLikeAndSubscribeButtonForMoreGreatContent
#RaidShadowLegends

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I heard from a friend that knows a guy who worked as a clerk at one of the polling places who talked to the janitor who heard that there was a van delivering mysterious stuff to the polling place! Sure, it was marked TONY'S PIZZA and it was a lot of pizza shaped boxes and when you opened the boxes, pizza was inside but who's to say that there weren't ballots taped to the bottom of the pizza?!?!?!
We laugh, and rightfully so, but that really is the level of evidence they offer.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah, that's what people say. In the healthcare field professionals are obligated to report inappropriate practice... and yet time after time malpractice occurs with colleagues knowing and apparently doing little or nothing about it. I used to run a workshop on ethics (research ethics for scientists), and I found it was quite fun teasing out of the students the recognition of the disparity between what they knew they were supposed do and what they actually did.

But if we get back to the military specifically, the reality is that the military is full of the same flawed individuals that general society is. And a look in would see that in practice the military may have codes of conduct, but for all those flawed individuals, when the codes of conduct conflict with other deeply ingrained principles - obedience to officers, comradely support, etc. - they don't necessarily make the right choice.

That's the real world out there. There's no reason to assume the military are any more honest and incorruptible than normal election officials.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
No Americans have experienced being mistreated by the army. Y'know, the people who would be voting. Context is a thing, pay attention to it.
There was a movie called The Siege, came out in 1999 or 2000, where in the military is used to secure, patrol and police New York in the wake of a terrorist attack. The General in charge of the operation refused to do it early in the movie, saying thusly:

“The Army is a broadsword, not a scalpel”.

Yes it’s a bit of movie dialogue but it’s not untrue. Outside of the special forces the military, US especially, is run on the maxim of go big or go home. They are not the appropriate entity to police elections. It is laughably outside their fields of expertise and training.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
There was a movie called The Siege, came out in 1999 or 2000, where in the military is used to secure, patrol and police New York in the wake of a terrorist attack. The General in charge of the operation refused to do it early in the movie, saying thusly:

“The Army is a broadsword, not a scalpel”.

Yes it’s a bit of movie dialogue but it’s not untrue. Outside of the special forces the military, US especially, is run on the maxim of go big or go home. They are not the appropriate entity to police elections. It is laughably outside their fields of expertise and training.
Pretty much this. There's only 2 reasons EVER to deploy the military on home soil:

1. Intimidation of civilians who don't know much about the military
2. To arrive at a Kent State situation at best or turning a major US city into Fallujah 2.0 at worst

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A quibble, but is it actually legal to deploy the US military to secure US elections anyway? I'm not sure if that sort of thing was "nope'd" ages ago when they were limiting the use of the military on US soil.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Of course it's not over. Every single step of the way, it must be a fight to get the president that was voted president to be confirmed president.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
A quibble, but is it actually legal to deploy the US military to secure US elections anyway? I'm not sure if that sort of thing was "nope'd" ages ago when they were limiting the use of the military on US soil.
No they can't. Federal law prohibits deploying armed federal agents to polling places. And the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878, prohibits the Army, Air Force, and, by regulation, the Navy and Marine Corps from enforcing domestic laws inside the United States.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
No they can't. Federal law prohibits deploying armed federal agents to polling places. And the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878, prohibits the Army, Air Force, and, by regulation, the Navy and Marine Corps from enforcing domestic laws inside the United States.
Knowing that the military being in control of elections isn't even legally possible, I wonder why so many people we so invested in arguing it with me...
"You're not so different, you and I..."

Status
Not open for further replies.