Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh God, are you still going on about Rowling?

Anyway, off to bed. And I swear to God, if at least one state hasn't declared by the time I wake up, then...

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Democrats didn't do poorly based on apathy for their mediocre talking points. They lost because Republicans turned out. Your explanation doesn't make sense. Agema's does.
Your interpretation of Agema's explanation suggests that Republicans are delusional morons. If it's true that Republican turnout was motivated by 'defund the police', then Republicans are just completely detached from reality.

Meanwhile, Fox News exit polling has 72% support nationally for "changing to government-run healthcare". And the clowns in the Democratic Party campaigned on not doing Medicare for All.

No, the centrist narrative is just ludicrous bullshit to cover for the fact that they tried the same thing as in 2016 and it barely got Biden over the line because a quarter million people died to a disease.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The reason democrats didn't turn out isn't that not enough people didn't support defunding the police. If you have a guy having a mental breakdown with a knife you still need the police, no mental health worker will risk their life to go there while the guy still has the knife.

No, the reason democrats didn't turn out was cause Biden was the candidate and everyone dislikes him. Out of the republicans who remain, they all like Trump. If Bernie had won the primary a lot more people woulda turned out.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Democrats didn't do poorly based on apathy for their mediocre talking points. They lost because Republicans turned out. Your explanation doesn't make sense. Agema's does.

Edit: unrelated side note. I'm enjoying the internet celebrating Steve Bannon's (perfectly reasonable) ban for suggesting beheadings, largely for the irony that the same internet was celebrating the mock guillotine outside the whitehouse a couple months ago. We've had 4 years of people acting like they want to be the French Revolution, one right-wing voice says heads on a pike and the whole world explodes.
It's ok, man. Anger is boiling.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
No, the reason democrats didn't turn out was cause Biden was the candidate and everyone dislikes him. Out of the republicans who remain, they all like Trump. If Bernie had won the primary a lot more people woulda turned out.
Democrats did turn out.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Democrats did turn out.
Of course they did, they all voted in the mail before the elections! Don't tell me you think that there was any foul play here... That's a conspiracy!

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
So apparently one of the big reasons why Georgia is so contested was because of stacy abrahams. She apparently had a big part to play in getting people to vote there

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Just a random unrelated fact I want to bring up about Georgia. The Corona pandemic killed a total of 8500 people there. People who usually die from Corona are old people. Old people usually vote Republican. About 5000 votes are left to count and Biden will get a majority of those.

Karma's a *****

Reactions: ObsidianJones

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

After losing her statewide election? Seems like a stretch.
BECAUSE she lost her statewide election that was ran by her opponent who openly flaunted him purging voters.

The Yale Law School graduate, tax attorney, and former Georgia state representative became a rising star when she ran for governor of her home state in 2018, but she also lost that election to Brian Kemp under a cloud of what appeared to be racially motivated voter suppression. According to an Associated Press investigation on the eve of the election, Kemp, then Georgia’s secretary of state, mass-canceled more than a million voter registrations between 2012 and 2018, and in the run-up to the tight gubernatorial race, froze an estimated 53,000 registrations, a majority of them belonging to African American voters.

When Abrams lost by just shy of 55,000 votes, she told Vogue: “I sat shiva for 10 days. Then I started plotting.”

Abrams had long rejected the oversimplification of her state as solely populated by white conservatives. She’d advocated to turn out and protect the vote in Georgia for years: In 2013, as a member of the state legislature, she created a voter-registration nonprofit called the New Georgia Project, which completed 86,000 new voter applications. But after her 2018 loss, she doubled down and became one of the country’s preeminent voting rights activists, launching the nonprofit Fair Fight to combat voter suppression. Riding the wave of support—celebrity, even—she won during the governor’s race (Oprah and John Legend campaigned for her), Abrams traversed the state, hoping to replicate the electoral feats she achieved in her own bid, in which she tripled Latino, Asian American, and Pacific Islander voter turnout and doubled youth participation in Georgia. As Vogue noted in its profile of Abrams last year: “She inspired 1.2 million Black Democrats in Georgia to vote for her (more than the total number of Democratic gubernatorial voters in 2014)” and “gained the highest percentage of the state’s white Democratic voters in a generation.”

“We didn’t fail,” Abrams told one consortium of voters. “In the state of Georgia, we transformed our electorate.”

That work continued, to triumphant effect, into 2020. Building on the efforts of New Georgia Project and others, Abrams and Fair Fight registered a staggering estimated 800,000 new voters since 2018 and helped squash suppressive policies like “exact match,” which had required registrations to precisely match voters’ licenses down to the hyphen, or else risk being tossed out. Abrams told NPR on November 2: “45% of those new voters are under the age of 30. 49% are people of color. And all 800,000 came on the rolls after November ’18, which means these are voters who weren’t eligible to vote for me but are eligible to participate in this upcoming election.”

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Just a random unrelated fact I want to bring up about Georgia. The Corona pandemic killed a total of 8500 people there. People who usually die from Corona are old people. Old people usually vote Republican. About 5000 votes are left to count and Biden will get a majority of those.

Karma's a *****
Trump didn't cause the pandemic. Without the pandemic, Trump would have won in a landslide. That's not karma, that's genuine misfortune. But I think even a narcissist like Trump would agree that election impacts are the least important downside of a pandemic.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Trump didn't cause the pandemic. Without the pandemic, Trump would have won in a landslide. That's not karma, that's genuine misfortune. But I think even a narcissist like Trump would agree that election impacts are the least important downside of a pandemic.
No. I don't think Trump would agree with that.

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
the reason I'm saying this is because Trump handled the pandemic horribly. purposely downplayed it's causing much unnecessary death. less people would have died if Trump took this more seriously and now he possibly lost Georgia because of it

Reactions: Secondhand Revenant

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
the reason I'm saying this is because Trump handled the pandemic horribly. purposely downplayed it's causing much unnecessary death. less people would have died if Trump took this more seriously and now he possibly lost Georgia because of it
No, there's nothing exceptionally different anyone would have done about the pandemic. I know people are stuck on this idea that Trump did terrible and made lots of people die, but that's not true. it's just half the country got stuck in the first two stages of grief.

Reactions: Iron

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
No, there's nothing exceptionally different anyone would have done about the pandemic. I know people are stuck on this idea that Trump did terrible and made lots of people die, but that's not true. it's just half the country got stuck in the first two stages of grief.
I guess you are doing a good example of denial

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

Karma's a *****
I've sadly lost two friends in this election. They have both voted for Trump. And I can't have them in my life.

Why? Because Trump didn't even try to contain the Virus. He didn't warn people. He didn't make mandates. He politicized a deadly virus which we know how he knew was deadly. He said himself, he always wanted to play it down.

And he got up on that stage, knowing how this will kill people, and said it was just going to go away.

He offered snake oil. He knew that it was airborne and that masks could help. And in fact, he disrupted a perfectly good supply chain of PPE and he chose five companies at 'random' to actually stand to make a profit from the virus.

If Trump failed in his ACTUAL attempts to control the virus... I would still have my friends. I wouldn't even mind him winning the election because he tried for the American People. But the truth of the matter is that he saw a hard battle. And he didn't want to feel like he would have made an effort that he would probably lose. So he politicized it, left it up to Americans, so if they failed... they failed. He didn't lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.