Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
The "recanted" story is a fabrication and literal fake-news.
You have no idea how hard you're being played.

Hmmmm

1. Sworn affidavit made under penalty of perjury

OR

2. The word of a known grifter and convicted criminal who financially benefits from keeping this "story" alive

It's so damn hard to tell which is more trustworthy...

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
A bit of context, for anyone else following this: James O'Keefe is a convicted fraudster, and Richard Hopkins has solicited over $130k via a GoFundMe page since this.

Lying to the public (via, say, a mini interview video like the above) is not a crime. Lying to a federal agency (via, say, a sworn affidavit) is a crime.

I think this offers a fair amount of explanatory power in this mystery.
Every right wing accusation is a confession.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I would have just stopped at "It's the Epoch Times," an outlet so batshit that Breitbart looks like a model of journalistic integrity.
I'll take your word for it. I'm utterly unfamilar with it to judge for myself, although the tautological name is enough to make one wonder.

<Bounced AZ case>
Pathetic and embarrassing. But that's the trick, isn't it? The aim here isn't to identify and prosecute actual fraud, it's to create a narrative of being the victims of fraud even if they can't prove any of it. Here, the propaganda will be that a biased judge threw their cast-iron proof out on a technicality (therefore both fraud and the "deep state" judiciary are cheating Americans).

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Reactions: Seanchaidh

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
largely because the last four years has necessitated a level of engagement with politics for a lot of Americans well in excess of most administrations prior and it nearly broke us.
If you call inane dribbling over conspiracy theories about Russian infiltration a 'level of engagement with politics', I guess?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You want to say there's been a victim, you need to supply both a metaphorical dead body and evidence of an intentional attack.
Well, there's a long history of Democrats screwing with elections, including recent officials in Philadelphia being convicted, but all the way back to this lovely event with my least favorite president. In the meantime, we're repeatedly told by one party in particular that anything that might assuage fears of misconduct, be it ID checks or maintained voter rolls or poll watching, is just racists trying to suppress voters. And at the same time, the last Democratic administration investigated their political opponents with the FBI during the election...

And you think it's Republicans fault there's a lack of faith in the election.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Imagine expecting us to feel sad for Republicans worries about something that's not proven to be a major issue using measures that will make it harder for some to vote but totally dismissing the idea of voter suppression, a thing that's got more of a real history in the US
I don't expect you to feel sad. I'd like you all to stop feeling so smug about the superiority of the lies you believe over the lies you don't.

djinns

Nov 9, 2016
Country
US
Well, there's a long history of Democrats screwing with elections, including recent officials in Philadelphia being convicted, but all the way back to this lovely event with my least favorite president. In the meantime, we're repeatedly told by one party in particular that anything that might assuage fears of misconduct, be it ID checks or maintained voter rolls or poll watching, is just racists trying to suppress voters. And at the same time, the last Democratic administration investigated their political opponents with the FBI during the election...

Rwing radio and social media are probably stoking all this distrust too

Last edited:
Reactions: bluegate

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I don't expect you to feel sad. I'd like you all to stop feeling so smug about the superiority of the lies you believe over the lies you don't.
Why, because you have to imagine we believe in lies to justify equating us to your party and your president?

Reactions: Buyetyen

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

Electoral fraud exists for sure: obviously so because crime is inevitable, and some people are going to do it. Electoral fraud can no more be utterly squashed than any other crime like burglary and assault - the only issue is how big a problem it really is. (And what makes Republicans think the Democrats are doing it all, given their own record?)

There's this document from the White House* based on an ongoing thorough recording by a right wing think tank. Just over 1000 cases in 20 years. How many elections have been in those ~20 years, local, state and federal, how many votes cast? 150 million people voted this presidential election alone, to put those 1000 proven cases into perspective. Now start to take a look through, virtually all of these are people affecting a handful of votes. All of these added together might not even swing Georgia 2020 (even if they were all in the same state, election and for the same party). And again, most of these voting protection measures Republicans talk about, they wouldn't even stop a load of these offenses.

This is why it's 9 parts magnifying a problem far beyond its real scope, and 1 part irrelevant measures that wouldn't even make much difference therefore almost certainly have an ulterior motive.

Your party has bought into rhetoric utterly unsupportable with the available evidence. This is the power of propaganda. You believe because your party keeps saying it, and your Republican friends and social circles say it, and even though the evidence isn't there, it's sinking in as dogma. 70% believe your election was "not free and fair": so then akin to Russia or Iran in quality. That isn't just objectively wrong, it's completely irrational. You cannot expect that insanity merits bipartisan policy change: that's like rewarding a tantrum (thus inviting more). The way this will go is that Republicans will not have faith in democracy, and the USA will lose democracy. Some of you guys need to get a grip and inject some sense back into your side, otherwise that's where you're going.

* In-text link won't work: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/docs/pacei-voterfraudcases.pdf

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I'm pretty sure there was an entire investigation into wide-spread voter fraud after Trump lost the 2016 popular vote and threw a little temper tantrum. And the results were like 99% of 'voter fraud' was down to clerical errors, either someone submitted a mail vote and then died or moved to a new address or had the same name as someone else who had died/already voted, and that remaining 1% was actual caught voter fraud where the offenders never managed to get more than 2 votes into the fraud before they were caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.