Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I'm guessing this "researcher" hasn't actually seen any ballots to make this claim, and is about as reliable as that USPS worker who took $130k to say there was fraud and promptly recanted when investigators started asking serious questions. The LG of Texas has announced a reward of $1M to reports of fraud, and that is obviously going to result in a massive ton of bullshit from chancers looking for a payday.

70% of Republican voters believe the election "wasn't free and fair". That's where systematically undermining your own people's faith in democracy gets you, and if that continues it ends in democracy being scrapped. So congratulations on that, Republicans.
The "recanted" story is a fabrication and literal fake-news.
You have no idea how hard you're being played.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
That's quite the victim blaming you got there.
Victims of...? Here I thought you were going to pretend to be neutral and not taking a side but that seems to imply you are saying they lost the election due to voter fraud. Not sure what else they'd be victims of. Not sure why they'd be victims of it unless you're saying it's so serious it resulted in a change in outcome.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Victims of...? Here I thought you were going to pretend to be neutral and not taking a side but that seems to imply you are saying they lost the election due to voter fraud. Not sure what else they'd be victims of. Not sure why they'd be victims of it unless you're saying it's so serious it resulted in a change in outcome.
Just another case of the right trying to appropriate the language of the left for a cheap attempt at a gotcha. It seldom works because they're just parroting these words and phrases without the slightest clue what they actually mean or how they're used.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Just another case of the right trying to appropriate the language of the left for a cheap attempt at a gotcha. It seldom works because they're just parroting these words and phrases without the slightest clue what they actually mean or how they're used.
But...you lefties are always on about equality, right? If only actual victims of things get to say they are victims, obviously that's unequal, and if you say otherwise my freedom of speech has been taken away from me.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Mostly because it's useless to learn.
Liberal Arts - underemployment rate, 59.5%

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The "recanted" story is a fabrication and literal fake-news.
I think when the official authorities who have to take official statements say that he has recanted, that suggests he officially recanted. Or at least, he has very severely watered down his claims.

He can deny that he backed off all he likes on totally unofficial YouTube vids supported by shifty, professional bullshitter propagandists, but what he said to official investigators is what counts.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
He can deny that he backed off all he likes on totally unofficial YouTube vids supported by shifty, professional bullshitter propagandists, but what he said to official investigators is what counts.
This. The "Everything is fake news!" crowd don't seem to get that reality was here first and doesn't give a shit what they think. It's on the official records that he recanted, so that's that.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That's quite the victim blaming you got there.
You want to say there's been a victim, you need to supply both a metaphorical dead body and evidence of an intentional attack.

Liberal Arts - underemployment rate, 59.5%
Just to put that in context:

Business Management - underemployment rate, 58.5%
Medical Technicians - underemployment rate, 52%
Agriculture - underemployment rate, 58.7%
Leisure & Hospitality - underemployment rate, 59.8%

And in terms of raw unemployment rate, liberal arts turns out better than industrial engineering, computer science and physics.

Lykosia

May 26, 2020
Country
Finland
A) No. Healthcare is not going to be replaced by robots. Healthcare is being expanded by technology, not replaced. Factories have had automation for decades, unless you want automation inception where AI auto installs AI, that's not getting more automated. Law, trade, and banking are things that have careers specifically to have legal accountability for something. AI isn't going to replace accountability. Insurance, sure. Journalists... lol, sure, we can fire those people I don't mind.
B) The things you're thinking of are way outnumbered by the things you aren't.
Healthcare can be automated easily. Anything from surgeries to administering drugs can be automated in the future. Only place left for humans is empathy, the one to tell the good news or bad news.

Law enforcement is already using robots and more roles can be given to robots in the future. Even judges can be replaced with robots that can detect when people are lying.

Coronavirus has only accelerated this process because comppanies have realized that they don't need human workforce who get sick, tired or complain about work. Or needs to be paid.

Of course it will create new jobs in IT and such, but will it replace the ones that are lost? Hard to say. Automation is the future.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Hey now, that's not realistic.

The shifting bar at the top seems to suggest a few of the lawsuits have actually had an impact, whereas right now about 10 of them have been thrown out of court and none have had any success.

Everything else in the image is accurate though.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
I'm guessing this "researcher" hasn't actually seen any ballots to make this claim, and is about as reliable as that USPS worker who took $130k to say there was fraud and promptly recanted when investigators started asking serious questions. The LG of Texas has announced a reward of $1M to reports of fraud, and that is obviously going to result in a massive ton of bullshit from chancers looking for a payday.

70% of Republican voters believe the election "wasn't free and fair". That's where systematically undermining your own people's faith in democracy gets you, and if that continues it ends in democracy being scrapped. So congratulations on that, Republicans.
I would have just stopped at "It's the Epoch Times," an outlet so batshit that Breitbart looks like a model of journalistic integrity.
It's 7:30 am and I'm in work so I really can't go into a lot of detail right now but I will say that I feel a lot of the political apathy that exists has been bred into us. A society that is more involved may be more politically aware. I feel that people always argue that people don't care enough but I don't think we have this system because people don't care, people don't care because we have this system. They've spent their whole lives leaving it to other people but people now are becoming more interested.
I get the instinct, but I also tend to get very suspicious of "more individual engagement is good," when it comes to politics, largely because the last four years has necessitated a level of engagement with politics for a lot of Americans well in excess of most administrations prior and it nearly broke us. I studied politics, to the point that I have worked in Congress and for state agencies, and I still want to go back and yet I am burnt out on the topic. Now imagine someone without the impulse to want to know that level of detail and asking them to do that on dozens of issues.

If you want that society, we need to figure out three things:

1) we need to purge a fundamentally anti-democratic movement that has effectively destroyed what democratic principles the conservative movement ever had (not many, but they were at least there). There's a left element to it as well, though it is nowhere near as pronounced.

2a) We need to fix news media. Outside of a handful of major outlets, real journalism has been hollowed out, with only the largest players able to survive (NYTimes, Wash. Post, LATimes Miami Herald, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, etc.). Real local journalism is practically dead, replaced with bloggers with no editorial standards, yellow journalism designed to pander to the opinions of it's readers rather than ask them to consider opposing ideas (more on this in 2b), outright authoritarian propaganda (RT, Spudnik, China Daily), or are de facto monopolies from being bought out and gutted by unscrupulous bad actors (I think we all remember Sinclair). Until the real tools to analyze and address those local and statewide issues is rebuilt, more democratic engagement is going to play into the hands of bad actors.

2b) We need to fix social media. The push for engagement on social media platforms has meant that stories and posts that push buttons (notably outrage) get way more traction regardless of merit, which means if a story or post caters to your pre-existing biases, you're more likely to share it. More engagement turns into more views, which turns into even more engagement, etc, creating essentially a misinformation feedback loop. Meanwhile, thoughtful analysis of issues rarely gets traction. Even here, we see a genuine discussion about how to address a crisis in free speech being turned into an outright false headline, and the discussion that followed spent barely a page's worth of posts on the subject and more quickly devolved into the pre-existing feuds between posters, trolls, and a few people trying to break through the conversation.

Here's the even bigger problem: 2a is relatively easy to fix: you just need more money to hire more local journalists. There's a few ways of getting there, but it fundamentally comes down to paying for journalism. 2b is a much harder problem to tackle, because social media's base model involves sharing posts and stories that, even eliminating things like engagement algorithms (which exacerbate these issues further), would not fix the selection bias issue that causes misinformation and inflammatory content to spread.

If you don't fix these issues, it doesn't matter if you have the most effective democratic system on the planet; it simply will collapse because the voters themselves are so misinformed and polarized that a reasonable dialog becomes impossible.

Reactions: SupahEwok

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of context, for anyone else following this: James O'Keefe is a convicted fraudster, and Richard Hopkins has solicited over $130k via a GoFundMe page since this.

Lying to the public (via, say, a mini interview video like the above) is not a crime. Lying to a federal agency (via, say, a sworn affidavit) is a crime.

I think this offers a fair amount of explanatory power in this mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.