Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
He's probably going to say he won't sign any stimulus bill unless they overturn the election in his favor.
That assumes McConnell would allow any such bill to come up. The man-turtle has made pretty clear that he thinks poor people are bred to suffer and born to die.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
That assumes McConnell would allow any such bill to come up. The man-turtle has made pretty clear that he thinks poor people are bred to suffer and born to die.
I think he did say he wanted a stimulus bill, but it will only be 500 billion. Nancy really overplayed with her all her nothing routine. She should have gotten the 1.9 trillion bill, even if it wasn't perfect. You can't negotiate with a republican senate.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
If I were a progressive president, and I had majorities in both the house and senate. This is the first thing I would do.

Basically, you want M4A, done, want GND, done, 15 dollar min. wage, done, why is no one talking about this?
Because we don't have a progressive president with majorities in both the house and the senate...

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Because we don't have a progressive president with majorities in both the house and the senate...
Also we would get things like:
  • Balanced budget requirements
  • Super majorities to raise taxes
  • Stripping minorities of rights
  • Stripping industrial regulations
  • State religion
Ballot Initiatives are a sign of a failing political system. Instead of at least an attempt at trying to intelligently craft a policy response with people whos job it is to actually weigh the often serious elements of policy so that they are both coherent and achieve their desired result (AKA Politicians), it asks people who often have little context for what they're actually voting for to make massive decisions. That's why for every Initiative that legalizes cannabis, you often get ones that, say, effectively overrule worker protections designed to cover those very workers. If you want more corporate and special interest control over the political system, an initiative system is the express means of doing it.

I'm not saying representative democracy is perfect. Far from it, but if you have to make 30 decisions on whether to pass an initiative that you barely have the patience to read the abstract for, much less the 10-30 pages of details in how it would work for things like Medicare for all or how to structure tax policy.

A side note: If I had a magic wand and could make a democratic election scheme from scratch, I would eliminate every elected office except for a legislature governed by a single-chamber divided by proportional representation. You need a simple majority to establish a government and the executive positions would be filled by the majority party/coalition. Each party would put forth a platform and an ordered list of potential representatives, and you would vote for the party that you most want to be in the majority, with the actual representatives to the chamber being assigned in the order of the list. That would not be a perfect system by fair either (geographic areas, particularly ones with spare population, could effectively get ignored almost entirely in terms of their needs), but it would eliminate the many overlapping areas of democratic legitimacy that has caused the US system to become so dysfunctional.

But we deal with the system we have until we have the power to change it. It doesn't matter how good your policy proposal is if you cannot pass it into law.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
If you want more corporate and special interest control over the political system, an initiative system is the express means of doing it.
You are correct that initiatives are, at least as they manifest in the case of the United States, a sign of a failing political system, but it's not because the public lacks particular expertise which politicians have; campaigns can (at least in theory) explain the relevant issues to a public that has confidence in those explanations. Bad ballot initiatives perpetrated against the public by campaigns driven by special interests (like what from your description I'm assuming you mentioned is California's prop 22) are principally an effect of the media climate surrounding politics and the abysmal lack of faith in political institutions generally. This media climate and lack of faith in political institutions also affects elections which, according to the same logic you apply to initiatives, results in bad politicians because of the public's lack of expertise in human resources. Of course, that's assuming any good politicians even make it through a primary. So what makes (many of) these ballot initiatives bad applies equally to electing representatives and executives, and the results of legislation have the same taint even if the road to get there isn't very similar.

What makes ballot initiatives a sign of a failing political system in the United States is that they demonstrate the wide gulf between public opinion and legislative decision. The weakness of ballot initiatives that you point out is also a potential strength, however; an individual politician might not want to own something like Prop 22 when the same could be passed by the public itself and therefore blamed on the public itself. They similarly might not have the courage to own something like the legalization of marijuana or something that might be popular with the public as well as a good idea but would anger powerful campaign contributors; these too can pass by initiative. As you noted, initiatives have both good and bad results. That suggests that it is more complicated than initiatives being good or bad; the context matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Also we would get things like:
  • Balanced budget requirements
  • Super majorities to raise taxes
  • Stripping minorities of rights
  • Stripping industrial regulations
  • State religion
Ballot Initiatives are a sign of a failing political system. Instead of at least an attempt at trying to intelligently craft a policy response with people whos job it is to actually weigh the often serious elements of policy so that they are both coherent and achieve their desired result (AKA Politicians), it asks people who often have little context for what they're actually voting for to make massive decisions. That's why for every Initiative that legalizes cannabis, you often get ones that, say, effectively overrule worker protections designed to cover those very workers. If you want more corporate and special interest control over the political system, an initiative system is the express means of doing it.

I'm not saying representative democracy is perfect. Far from it, but if you have to make 30 decisions on whether to pass an initiative that you barely have the patience to read the abstract for, much less the 10-30 pages of details in how it would work for things like Medicare for all or how to structure tax policy.

A side note: If I had a magic wand and could make a democratic election scheme from scratch, I would eliminate every elected office except for a legislature governed by a single-chamber divided by proportional representation. You need a simple majority to establish a government and the executive positions would be filled by the majority party/coalition. Each party would put forth a platform and an ordered list of potential representatives, and you would vote for the party that you most want to be in the majority, with the actual representatives to the chamber being assigned in the order of the list. That would not be a perfect system by fair either (geographic areas, particularly ones with spare population, could effectively get ignored almost entirely in terms of their needs), but it would eliminate the many overlapping areas of democratic legitimacy that has caused the US system to become so dysfunctional.

But we deal with the system we have until we have the power to change it. It doesn't matter how good your policy proposal is if you cannot pass it into law.
A possible solution I've heard is to mix the two. If there is an upcoming vote you can request to vote in it personally. If not your representative votes for you.

Another is councils formed similar to jury duty.

It's 7:30 am and I'm in work so I really can't go into a lot of detail right now but I will say that I feel a lot of the political apathy that exists has been bred into us. A society that is more involved may be more politically aware. I feel that people always argue that people don't care enough but I don't think we have this system because people don't care, people don't care because we have this system. They've spent their whole lives leaving it to other people but people now are becoming more interested.

America needs to sort something out soon. The last two elections have been questioned by the losing side.

Either their both wrong and nobody has faith in the system.

One side is right and the other has an unfair advantage.

Both sides are right and the system is totally fucked.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
A possible solution I've heard is to mix the two. If there is an upcoming vote you can request to vote in it personally. If not your representative votes for you.
Sounds like a possible example of liquid democracy, though that's a broader category than just that proposal.

Another is councils formed similar to jury duty.
How they are picked and how those councils have issues framed to them (how they could potentially be lobbied) and the power that they have to seek information becomes quite important. Not a bad idea, though. May want to have a referendum process in case something weird happens due to random chance such as everyone picked having a conflict of interest or the same unpopular view.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Sounds like a possible example of liquid democracy, though that's a broader category than just that proposal.

How they are picked and how those councils have issues framed to them (how they could potentially be lobbied) and the power that they have to seek information becomes quite important. Not a bad idea, though. May want to have a referendum process in case something weird happens due to random chance such as everyone picked having a conflict of interest or the same unpopular view.
Liquid democracy, that's the one. Only really became familiar with it recently so I can't say it's a good system with any confidence. Could be a lot of holes I haven't considered. But that's another issue to address. Any system we choose is going to have flaws. Some we can iron out as the system develops and some we can't. Too many people expect anyone offering an alternative to have a fully formed ready to go replacement system. Even representative democracy isn't that seeing as so many countries do it differently.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
For the lels of course?
It's quite possibly the most exciting happening that could have come out of this elections. The only better options are WW3 over the presidency - Brazil and Mexico still refuse to recognize Biden as president, but over a 100 nations in the world already did. Which means that such a scenario is very unlikely now.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It's quite possibly the most exciting happening that could have come out of this elections. The only better options are WW3 over the presidency - Brazil and Mexico still refuse to recognize Biden as president, but over a 100 nations in the world already did. Which means that such a scenario is very unlikely now.
I mean the UK also hedged it's bets a bet and even the tweet sent contained parts of the other lol

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I want Trump to blow this wide open

All of it.
I'm guessing this "researcher" hasn't actually seen any ballots to make this claim, and is about as reliable as that USPS worker who took $130k to say there was fraud and promptly recanted when investigators started asking serious questions. The LG of Texas has announced a reward of $1M to reports of fraud, and that is obviously going to result in a massive ton of bullshit from chancers looking for a payday.

70% of Republican voters believe the election "wasn't free and fair". That's where systematically undermining your own people's faith in democracy gets you, and if that continues it ends in democracy being scrapped. So congratulations on that, Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.