Election thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
What's the difference between simple agreement and "clique-ish" behaviour?
I had to look up the "proper" word. Turns out the word is cliquish, which I almost typed at first, but then deleted because it looked weird.

Anyway, cliquish behavior is "simple agreement" that is blind and ongoing and only extends to a certain group of people. Certain users will only ever agree with other users. What's worse is when one of those users mock or attack the person, rather than the argument, and then get pats on the back from their clique.

cliquish behavior is not one act, it is a pattern of action.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Certain users will only agree with certain arguments. Nobody's obligated to like yours.
That rings hollow seeing as how I've been on the receiving end of being called a troll (an attack against my person, allowed apparently) and thus, my arguments don't deserve to even be listened to.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
That rings hollow seeing as how I've been on the receiving end of being called a troll (an attack against my person, allowed apparently) and thus, my arguments don't deserve to even be listened to.
I got a warning in the old forums for saying someone sounded like a troll. That person was banned a couple of months ago for, uh, being a troll. But that's neither here nor there. I can't bother with anybody arguing for Trump.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
And there's the proof of "Certain users will only ever agree with other users."
Otherwise, you would have said "I can't bother with any arguments for Trump"
I mean do I give a shit about any attempted defense of Trump? No. You want to talk about movies or games? Go nuts. I don't need a button to ignore people.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
And there's the proof of "Certain users will only ever agree with other users."
Otherwise, you would have said "I can't bother with any arguments for Trump"
No, that's at most "proof" that one certain user will dismiss anything pro-Trump users have to say.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Neither. Both are evidence of clique-ish behavior.
Why are those the only choices?
It seems you are not fond of people criticizing you. So when criticism is warranted you can either have:
1. one criticism that other people identify they support or
2. everyone criticizes you seperately

Because when you say its 'clique behavior' it comes off as 'I dont like more than 1 person criticizing me at a time.'

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Cliquish behavior is not one act, it is a pattern of action.
I think there's more to a clique than that. I think a key aspect of a clique is generally that it is insular and exclusionary - like a club where you have to win membership. There's perhaps an implication that people don't think independently, they're following an official line.

I don't think anything much like that exists on these forums. People just agree with others to a lesser or greater degree.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
It seems you are not fond of people criticizing you. So when criticism is warranted you can either have:
1. one criticism that other people identify they support or
2. everyone criticizes you seperately

Because when you say its 'clique behavior' it comes off as 'I dont like more than 1 person criticizing me at a time.'
Assuming that the criticism is actually criticism, and not just some kind of personal attack in lieu of engaging with an argument that they disagree with...
Assuming these premises, I would rather have everybody criticize me separately, that way I know they're putting in some actual effort to draft a post, as opposed to just clicking a button.

It's kind of like the followers of a stereotypical bully in cartoons that just follow around the main bully and go "yeah, what he said!"
That's what "likes" are like, in this context.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I already early voted the day of so I am staying in on election day. I think everything will pan out fine but in the back of my head I know some people have some malice in mind.

There is going to be a lot of course correcting but hopefully we can at least steer on the right track.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Assuming that the criticism is actually criticism, and not just some kind of personal attack in lieu of engaging with an argument that they disagree with...
Assuming these premises, I would rather have everybody criticize me separately, that way I know they're putting in some actual effort to draft a post, as opposed to just clicking a button.

It's kind of like the followers of a stereotypical bully in cartoons that just follow around the main bully and go "yeah, what he said!"
That's what "likes" are like, in this context.
It's not as bad as reddit, though.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I think there's more to a clique than that. I think a key aspect of a clique is generally that it is insular and exclusionary - like a club where you have to win membership. There's perhaps an implication that people don't think independently, they're following an official line.

I don't think anything much like that exists on these forums. People just agree with others to a lesser or greater degree.

Call it whatever you want, but I've definitely noticed a pattern. Certain people only ever "like" the posts of certain other people. Certain people always call out certain other people, but never call out people on "their side". Whenever someone mentions any of the usual suspects in a derisive manner, they get likes from "their group".

Kind of like this comment which is apparently perfectly fine according to the moderation team.

It's not as bad as reddit, though.
You are right, it is not.
Thank goodness we don't have downvotes and a system that elevates the most popular and hides the most unpopular.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Thread has been throughly derailed from the original topic and therefore locked. For the record, not all forms of moderation on this new forum will automatically leave a public warning message attached to a single post. Lack of a public warning should not be taken to mean that a post is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.