Election thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
One more day. And then maybe we can get to talk about something far other.
I really really hope so.

Btw, we have elections in Germany next year. I am not sure it will gather enough interest on this forum to even sustain a single thread.

Reactions: gorfias

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I really really hope so.

Btw, we have elections in Germany next year. I am not sure it will gather enough interest on this forum to even sustain a single thread.
Is Merkel retiring before that election?

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
No, but she isn't running another time. 16 years are enough. So whatever happens, there will be a new chancellor.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
She wanted to quit last time, yes. But she reconsidered when it seemed as if the party would lose without her. She still gave up being party head soon thereafter to her preferred successor. Who threw the towel later.

There is still no way she would run again. She doesn't want it and her party doesn't want it. Last time the party did want it because there was no sucessor. This time the party has some candidates with backing, even if none wants to continue her politics.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
If the progressives can get it passed through congress, Biden will sign it. He is not going to oppose it if democrats manage to pass it.
...except Medicare For All. He's specifically said he doesn't support that and will veto if it comes across his desk.

Be very, very angry on top of that if the Supreme court somehow ends up giving him the election.
You mean like saying that an entire state has to be counted under the same rules or it's an equal protection issue and that the federal deadline for choosing electors is constitutional and enforceable?

Will we know the winner on Election Day?
Definitely not. Comparatively huge number of mail ballots means delays in counting, and possibility of states flipping after the initial election day numbers. Also likely lawsuits from one or both sides.

For the first time in my life I'm planning on voting a straight ticket.

Honestly no one should be voting by mail. Too much risk of your vote being thrown to the garbage. Just take the risk of voting in person.
What I'm doing. After work, on my way home. I live ~10 blocks from my polling place and work about 10 miles from it.

Having to have the air temperature that I inhale now kept below 70F or I stop being able to properly distribute oxygen to my cells
That sounds...extra unpleasant to have to deal with in Texas. You might want to go, as they ay in Fallen London, NORTH.

Supreme Court simply say no, it doesn't count, they're staying.
Lifetime appointment, they don't have to do anything for Trump to keep their power indefinitely, and it would be political suicide and chaos of a sort the Dems really don't want to start to use "appointed by Trump" as sole grounds for impeachment. Short version of your scenario is that I could see Trump trying to pull it, the Senate going along as doubtful but possible, and SCOTUS telling them to fuck off - whoever wins the electoral vote is President and there is a clear deadline by which any question of the election must be resolved and a final slate of electors chosen.

Trump would have better luck quietly bribing electors in states where either there is no faithless elector law or that law does not invalidate the faithless elector's vote. Or getting individual state elections thrown out in states with red legislatures that go Biden this election, and draw the process out to the point that the state legislature is forced to decide the official outcome and can simply hand it to Trump.

Due to the way votes are cast in a contingent election, Trump could steal the election via the House of representatives if neither Biden or Trump win enough electoral college votes.
Ah, yes, the "no matter how popular you are in California, it cannot win you the presidency alone" problem, which still happens even in contingent elections. Although since the House determines the rules it operates under, couldn't it just call for a regular vote instead (although that would be violating norms, I doubt it's illegal to do so)? As Trump has made patently clear, norms are not laws and are only enforced by goodwill.

But you get more money in taxes.
...if you already make enough that none of the policies in question are likely to touch on you or anyone you know. Everyone else get's screwed on that too.

I look at who the Democratic Party has put at the top of their ticket and think, they really haven't learned anything.
They really didn't. And if Biden loses, they'll claim vociferously that it definitely wasn't any mistake on their part - instead it was because Russians shitposted on Twitter and Harris is a nonwhite woman, and it's all the fault of bigots!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Definitely not. Comparatively huge number of mail ballots means delays in counting, and possibility of states flipping after the initial election day numbers. Also likely lawsuits from one or both sides.
I don't know if it is true or not, but TV news last night reported some states are saying they will not begin counting mail in ballots until after voting has stopped. Why would that be?
I'm frightened by the theory that Hillary cheated in 2016 but simply not by enough. If they wait to count AFTER voting has stopped, the point of this delay may be so that they'll know just how many votes they'll have to steal to steal the election.
Election day. Regardless of who you support, I hope you all get out to vote and that only legit votes get counted.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Why would that be?
Because US elections aren't a single election, but rather 50 elections each run under slightly different rules and in some states those rules include things like not counting any votes before polls close on election day.

I'm interested in how they intend to steal votes using mail in ballots though, given the counts will be done under observation of both parties like they are every election.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't know if it is true or not, but TV news last night reported some states are saying they will not begin counting mail in ballots until after voting has stopped. Why would that be?
I'm frightened by the theory that Hillary cheated in 2016 but simply not by enough. If they wait to count AFTER voting has stopped, the point of this delay may be so that they'll know just how many votes they'll have to steal to steal the election.
Election day. Regardless of who you support, I hope you all get out to vote and that only legit votes get counted.
It was some states rules

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It was some states rules
Iowa continues counting until 11/9!!!
Oy.
But thank you for that link.
Because US elections aren't a single election, but rather 50 elections each run under slightly different rules and in some states those rules include things like not counting any votes before polls close on election day.

I'm interested in how they intend to steal votes using mail in ballots though, given the counts will be done under observation of both parties like they are every election.
I don't know either. I think it was Michigan that was doing a recount that had to be stopped due to irregularities.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Why would that be?
There is an idea that earlier, incomplete results might influence late voters who then ditch hopeless candidates or switch based on early election reactions. Which would be an unfair information advatage over earlier voters. That is why many nations ban the publication of exit polls until all votes are cast as well.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Anyone watching Maxine Water's district? Election there today too.
She reportedly lives in a $6 million mansion outside her impoverished district while the guy running against her, Joe Collins, says he is from that district. He's a US veteran . Appears to be a very attractive candidate but he's up against one of the most powerful machine politicians out there.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
To be fair her home is only worth $2 million and she's married to an ex-NFL linebaker. So I doubt it was Maxine's income that paid for it.
I also read before the district was redrawn, her home had been in the district. To me, this isn't difficult: he's a Conservative Vet, she's a Leftist career politician. I prefer Collins but Democrats reportedly outnumber Republicans in that district by several to one. Still, I wish there were term limits in the House. She's been there forever and her district is hurting.
EDIT:
Reviewing other interesting elections...

Arizona is allegedly turning Blue. A Republican Senator, Martha McSally faces election today... reviewing.
I've heard Maine's Susan Collins is toast.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
It should be noted about AZ's Senate race between McSally and Kelly that last time McSally ran, she actually lost. She only holds her current position because our shitheel governor appointed her after McCain died.

Also, can I ask why people feel like a country as large and populous as the US that votes need to basically be cast and counted in a less than 24 hour period?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It should be noted about AZ's Senate race between McSally and Kelly that last time McSally ran, she actually lost. She only holds her current position because our shitheel governor appointed her after McCain died.

Also, can I ask why people feel like a country as large and populous as the US that votes need to basically be cast and counted in a less than 24 hour period?
No idea. Or why Election Day shouldn't a national holiday like Independence day or Christmas so the maximum amount of people can vote. Or hell, allow mail in voting as an accepted form of alternate voting for the majority of voters, not just the military and seniors.

I mean, aside from favoring certain groups to get to the polls on election day over others.

And literally no idea why people insist we have to know the victor immediately, when the EC doesn't meet till mid December and congress doesn't seat till January. There's more than enough time to count ballots accurately without causing issues with transition.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Neither. Both are evidence of clique-ish behavior.
Why are those the only choices?
What's the difference between simple agreement and "clique-ish" behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.