Electronic Arts CEO Facing Trouble

Jun 11, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
Glademaster said:
The Rockerfly said:
Glademaster said:
Yes but thats when we release the time travelling robot ninja pirate alien cops with termination set to on.
Something with that many syllables in it, has to be evil! Bobby will have no choice to bow down to the greater evil...unless he is truly so evil that he would ruin the video game industry and have the robot, ninja, pirate alien cops bow down to him

:O

*gasp*
If thats the case then only Arnold Swarzhisnameagain, Stephen Segal, Bruce Willis and anyone else I can't think of to stop him.
Would surprise me if that was true, otherwise someone would have killed him already. I have a suspicion that Bobby is like the T1000 though
Ok so we will have him fired....
From a cannon...
Into the sun...

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
There's whispers about DIsney buying out EA. Look, I'm no fan of Disney: I reguarlly call them the Evil Empire. I do have to admit, however, that Disney has a relatively hands-off approach to its studios which it does not want its name associated with on the grounds that it would contradict their family-freindly image: See Mirimax or even Marvel.

This might be the smartest move Riccitiello can make right now, if only to save face.

On the other hand, I'd like to point out that he did make the stupid decision in buying Playfish for $300 mil. That was probably the nail in the coffin. It's one thing to greenlight new IP's that don't gain traction, it's another to buy up studios for umpteen millions in the hopes of cashing in on just another fad.

But seriously, we're rallying for you Riccitiello.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I hate to see a company who is making ammends like EA failing financially. Ugh it`s such a depressing thought to think that the companies churning out mediocrity are the ones making the most money.

This is just utter crap. :(

TheEggplant

Excess Ain't Rebellion
Jul 26, 2008
EA has not redeemed itself. Activision is the new Big Bad. Ubisoft is a disciple of Chaos.
There is only one solution in this situation. "Burn the house down. Burn them all."

Nov 28, 2007
The Rogue Wolf said:
Gamers railed against EA for years for making unimaginative, cookie-cutter games loaded with DRM and endless sequels. Suddenly, EA decided to turn it around and start investing in original properties and reducing DRM.

Gamers responded by turning around and spending all their money on yet another "safe" sequel, Modern Warfare 2.

I guess we really do get what we deserve.
I know. That's why a lot of gamers are seen as hypocrites. They ask for something fresh and new, then when it comes, they buy a sequel, because it's a safe buy.

In other words, they want something fresh and new, but they also want something guaranteed, which usually requires it to be taking stuff from an established franchise. I mean, here is the NPD list of the top 10 selling games of 2009:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) -- 4,200,000
2. Wii Fit w/ balance board (Wii) -- 3,500,000
3. Wii Sports Resort w/ MotionPlus (Wii) -- 2,400,000
4. Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel (Wii) -- 2,200,000
5. Wii Play w/ remote (Wii) -- 2,100,000
6. Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360) -- 2,000,000
7. Pokemon Platinum (DS) -- 1,900,000
8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)-- 1,900,000
9. Madden NFL 10 (Xbox 360) -- 1,500,000
10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) -- 1,400,000

Wow, lots of sequels were bought, considering how many gamers want "originality".

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
The Rockerfly said:
Saul B said:
The Rockerfly said:
No EA keep making new and interesting titles, please don't go the way of Activision
These words don't belong in the same sentence!

/short rant
Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Mass Effect, Dragons Age, Brutal Legend and Dantes Inferno. Some of the most interesting games to come out and to be released
It's not even new IP's. Some of the existing IP's are getting overhauls redos, and proper fucking sequels. NHL 08, 09, and 10 added enough content to warrant a purchase every year, something that NEVER happens; NCAA 10 is a massive improvement over 09; the Sims, yes the fucking Sims, the franchise notorious for reskins labeled as expansions, had an expansion pack that added an entire new play mode; and Bad Company 2 looks like it might keep my interest for more than 3 hours of gameplay this time.

I <3 new EA, and I'd be really sad if they go back to the jack boots and swastikas.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
*snip*

I'm pretty sure there's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere.
I think the lesson here is that EA pretty much handed Activision/Blizzard/Vivendi the keys to the money vault this year. They tried to take over too many companies in a time when a financial crunch was coming followed by a reluctance to put up any heavy competition to Activision's blockbuster titles at the time of year when most of the gaming coin is spent. When you have games like The Saboteur and Brutal Legend competing with Guitar Hero fluff and Infinity Ward titles what can you expect. They even released Dragon Age (which is frankly amazing) with the most amazingly confusing ad campaign ever. If there was anything this year needed it was Mass Effect 2 and Bad Company 2 along with Sims 3 releasing [in Oct/Nov].

Granted I think that EA will rule the school when it comes to selling Jan through March. Sadly it puts them in the same boat as 2009. Selling mega titles in the first 8 months of a year will only net you a chunk of 25% of all money spent on games. It's the 75% holiday season they need to step up a big game in. Even if it doesn't do quite as well because it's competing at least they aren't giving away the farm and looking bad when Activision rolls in it's 15% share increase.

I hope Kotick chokes on his caviar and accidentally stabs his hand with a fork.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
I used to despise EA...

They made bland games and were a souless sequal machine. Then they implemented retarded DRM's and honestly if things had remained that way i would be sitting here grinning at thier demise.

But, EA's turned it around for me. I love EA... I can say that now, now that they're not top dog anymore. They're creating new IP's... they gave Tim Schaffer (spelling) another game...he makes some awesome interesting games... buy them... and Brutal Legend came out damned good despite an appearantly hectic work atmosphere.

The main thing for me is they are taking risk on new games... that deserves some respect and they're chilling out with the whole 3 installs and your game wont work anymore sucker DRM... even though that only hurts legit consumers and not pirates who just D/L a new copy (That was a f'ing retarded plan whoever came up with that.)

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
The question is, could the old ways of EA work today?
I think times have changed and Riccitiello's actually on the right track.
The drop in stock value is just a side effect to the transition.

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Electronic Arts CEO Facing Trouble

"Anytime you underperform, you should be worried about your job,"
Ha ha I love it when people say obvious things like this.

OT: If he didn't do his job properly, he deserves to be fired.

Crazy_Bird

Oct 21, 2009
Plinglebob said:
Sadly, creative and interesting normally means new and unpredictable which is something investors do not like. By trying to keep the fans happy, he has alienated and scared off the money men which is the opposite of Bobby Kotick *spit*. Sadly, this makes Activision the "better" company.
You are totally tight but yet you forget one thing:
Innovation is not beloved by as many as you would think.It is not the evil investors or greedy CEOs but the gamers who buy the 15th identical release of FIFA or Madden. Gamers support this business model. Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts, two outstanding games, were financial disasters.

Do anybody think they get away with releasing bland and monotonous games if nobody were to by this kind of games?

A bit shorter:

The Rogue Wolf said:
what we deserve.
THIS!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
I'm pretty sure there's a lesson to be learned in there somewhere.
Never listen to the enthusiast/'hardcore' crowd as we don't represent the majority of the market :(

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
Gamers railed against EA for years for making unimaginative, cookie-cutter games loaded with DRM and endless sequels. Suddenly, EA decided to turn it around and start investing in original properties and reducing DRM.

Gamers responded by turning around and spending all their money on yet another "safe" sequel, Modern Warfare 2.

I guess we really do get what we deserve.
Sad but true. It'll be a shame if he leaves, I quite like Riccitiello, even if I can't pronounce his name or spell it properly without double checking it.

*Didn't buy Modern Warfare 2*
*Did buy Torchlight*
*Wanted to buy Mirror's Edge but the day I went in I got carded for a 16+ and didn't have my ID on me and now I have no money.*