Electronic Arts Kills the Online Pass

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Compatriot Block said:
Kudos to EA. This is pretty great.

Which is why I will be so sad about how this thread will probably be virtually nothing but complaining anyway.
Last time we heard EA speaking out on the evils of DRM we got Sim City, their excuse was that it needed to always be online which has proven to be false.
So yeah, EA's still going to get hate for killing off the Online Pass because history shows us they'll most likely replace it with player appreciation passes which gives the player the ability to play the second half of the game. The complaints don't come because EA can't talk the good talk, the complaints come because of what EA will put in effect once it kills off online passes, they're pretty big shoes to fill.

Sure EA may just end the online pass program and everything will be nice and happy, my guess is they'll implement the rumored nextbox's online requirement to counter used game sales.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
There's no way they actually did this because of "customer feedback". The pass system is a big money maker for them.

Honestly, I think this is just further evidence that at least one of the new consoles (looking at you, MS) will be trying to do away with used games anyway.

Plus, EA is really pushing hard on the digital market so used games will not even be necessary in even just a few years.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Already, you exalt me for my triumphs,
When I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries

Victory is nothing more than survival.
It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
ALL MY WHAT!?!?

The only time EA ever pissed me off personally was when I bought Uncharted 3 and the online pass was missing from the fucking manual. And now they're just going to stop with the bullshit?
Uncharted 3?

The Uncharted series isn't EA. EA has nothing to do with that series. Uncharted is Sony and Naughty Dog.

Anyways, this is a step in the right direction. Personally, EA hasn't done a whole lot to earn my ire (probably because I simply haven't bought an EA product in years), but I always thought that the online pass thing was a cheap cash grab.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I believe this has something to do with EA winning America's Most Hated Company for the 2nd year in a row. [http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57578712-71/injustice-ea-wins-worst-company-in-america-again/]

They most likely passed the first occurrence as a random fluke of the internet hate-bandwagon and didn't give it much thought since it was just some silly award. But when it happened AGAIN they probably realized that shit could become very annoying and potentially do permanent damage.
I believe they're now actively trying to avoid winning it for the 3rd year in a row and Step #1 of that process is listening to some goddamn customer feedback. Well no, I guess Step #0 was to kick the CEO and they've already done that [http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-ceo-resigns-6405525] :p

erttheking said:
I mean...Jesus Christ. They're listening! They're actually fucking listening!
I'm still skeptical, they're still a business who value profits and money-grabbing schemes far higher than anything else.

I'll be keeping my hopes contained and looking forward to this year's releases...especially Battlefield 4, lets see what they do with that goldmine of a game.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
erttheking said:
.....WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH EA!?

Jesus: Yes, and you still use my name in vain, Ertthekingdammit!

OT -- I am happy. I take this as a good sign, gents. EA may finally have passed the "darkest" part of "darkest before the dawn".

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Funny that I was waiting for the Escapist to report on it before I trusted my other news sites to believe it.

Trying to stay optimistic about this news and hope that EA really will try to do the right thing by its customers here. They'll probably try something else to keep those "damned pirates!" out of their servers/games, but for now I'll just be hopeful.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
the following shoe drop is brought to you by godzilla

i feel like this has to be making room for something else

you can't just flip a switch and suddenly be reasonable

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Antari said:
They listened to the spreadsheets, not the gamers. And if that isn't the case, one logical decision slipping through the cracks is not about to have me jumping for joy. They have decades of repairs to catch up on.
That is listening to gamers. If no one is paying up the extra 10 dollars, then it's clear gamers don't want it. There are a lot of instances where in which the crowd jumping and screaming about something is actually in the minority. So yeah, EA is actually listening to the people, and as of right now this is some proof that they're not selfish money grubbing assholes. They're a business for sure, but at least they're stopping something that is basically a blatant cash grab. I don't see other businesses doing this...

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Ermm, isn't this just because they have finally implemented Origin in every online EA game? Even in consoles?
I'm sure they'll just find another way of making every gamers life worse very soon.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well bloody hell EA, good show.

Now don't try and be sneaky and microtransaction every little last thing, we're not that stupid.

I shall remain cautiously optimistic in the meantime however.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
erttheking said:
.....WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH EA!?

I'm pretty confident they're only saying this because they rebranded it.

There was a Jimquisition video that mentioned it a while back, where Dead Space 3 didn't have an online pass. It had an "Extreme Edition" or somesuch that served the exact same role.

I'm as sure as I can be, this discontinuation of the Online Pass bullshit is just an attempt to soothe the hate right after they renamed the practice.

timothy-robertson

May 1, 2013
Clearly this was their plan all along.

Step 1: Create a horrible system that alienates users
Step 2: Get all (or as many as possible) of the other publishers on-board
Step 3: Ditch it for good PR and either force other companies to be seen negatively if they keep using it, or have to change it back as well.

Its brilliant!

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Well, EA, that's one point in your favor. However, please note that your total score is still below zero in the gamer world. You'll have to do a lot more (and a lot better) than that.

I wonder what will be said about this in the Jimquisition.

Off-topic: Whoever is presenting the "jesse & joy 'latinos imparables tour'" can kiss my ass.

Jakisall

Nov 23, 2009
timothy-robertson said:

Step 3: Ditch it for good PR and either force other companies to be seen negatively if they keep using it, or have to change it back as well.

Its brilliant!
Don't forget making every copy preordered/bought new a "limited edition" with "free DLC" to get "extra" stuff. It's Online pass with a new coat of paint

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
timothy-robertson said:

Its brilliant!
Basically this then. http://www.gotfuturama.com/Multimedia/EpisodeSounds/1ACV13/12.mp3

I can't believe that with all the Futurama clips I've seen on speed-dial on these forums, no one's thought to make a clip of that quote.