Electronic Arts Kills the Online Pass

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Agayek said:
erttheking said:
.....WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH EA!?

I mean...Jesus Christ. They're listening! They're actually fucking listening!
I'm pretty confident they're only saying this because they rebranded it.

There was a Jimquisition video that mentioned it a while back, where Dead Space 3 didn't have an online pass. It had an "Extreme Edition" or somesuch that served the exact same role.

I'm as sure as I can be, this discontinuation of the Online Pass bullshit is just an attempt to soothe the hate right after they renamed the practice.
WELL YOU...are probably right. Still, here's to hoping that SOMETHING is getting through their skulls.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Good start. Frankly, seeing signs that someone at EA is listening to something their customers are saying (other than on relatively shallow and intangible matters like cover art) is better for them than almost any actual gesture. Hopefully they'll keep it up.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I don't give a shit about EA for a long time now, but ditching the online passes... just sounds like they have smoething better than that, something more silent, like making every PC game having to connect through Origin or something... Oh wait...

No online passes but always-online games... YES YES MY CREATURES! Fly my dear DRMs, FLY!!!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
First Microsoft is dropping the points thing and now this.

The hell is going on?

I'm not complaining mind you because this is pretty damn awesome, but I'm scared to turn on the facet because there might be blood!
What's this about MS not using points? Am I going to have to bring out the Chardonnay?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Huh, I guess I might start considering EA games again. Of course it would be prudent to be cautious but I'm still optimistic that they might be turning it around after seeing themselves win[?] the Worst company in America title for the second year in a row.

Or maybe John Riccitiello's successor has some fucking brains and realised that you need loyal customers in order to run a business.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Not really worth getting excited about considering:
-The current console cycle is coming to a close soon
-It's highly likely that the next gen consoles are poised to kill the used game market innately (which was what Project 10 dollar was for anyway)
-Doesn't apply to non-console markets anyway

You want me to sing your praises EA? How about you do something that's actually praiseworthy, instead of peddling an "upgrade" to a soon-to-be-outmoded system.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Dexter111 said:
Andy Chalk said:
There's no arguing the point that gamers didn't respond to it, but while this is good news for those who were staunchly opposed to the concept, it does leave one rather important question unanswered: What comes next? I don't believe that EA is so institutionally evil that it will be compelled to come up with something even worse than Online Pass, but there's no question that it's going to come up with something. "We're still committed to creating content and services that enhance the game experience well beyond the day you first start playing," Reseburg said.
Next-Gen consoles with these kind of systems integrated I'd say.
One option is that they killed it because "it didn't show any success", the other might just be because they will soon no longer need it and they can get some PR out of it while they're at it.

There's no need for "Online Passes" on PC for instance, since they pushed Origin down every EA-gamers throat, where they have to register the game in the first place for it to work.
Wait............. OH SHIT!!!!!!! They are going to make everyone sign into Origin from every service.......... And the games will have a unique id on the disc that locks it out from other consoles, so you will have to "add" the ability to play it from your Origin account....

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
AzrealMaximillion said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
First Microsoft is dropping the points thing and now this.

The hell is going on?

I'm not complaining mind you because this is pretty damn awesome, but I'm scared to turn on the facet because there might be blood!
What's this about MS not using points? Am I going to have to bring out the Chardonnay?
It's in another news article here.

Basically MS is going to stop using MS points for their next console if I remember it right.

So yes, drink away. :D

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Agayek said:
erttheking said:

There was a Jimquisition video that mentioned it a while back, where Dead Space 3 didn't have an online pass. It had an "Extreme Edition" or somesuch that served the exact same role.

I'm as sure as I can be, this discontinuation of the Online Pass bullshit is just an attempt to soothe the hate right after they renamed the practice.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this is just PR to rebrand things. I hope EA has ditched it for good but talk is cheap I'll wait to see what crap is attached to the next EA game. If nothing I'll give them kudos but not before

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm...impressed...? I just...I don't know...EA being...smart and listening to its customers?
WHAT DO I DO SOMEONE HELP

Aug 1, 2010
I..... wha...... huh?

Sorry EA, did you say something? I thought I heard something, but there's no way it can be true. It had to have been a dream.

Oh. Wait. Seriously?

You know what, I don't even care how terrible the followup is going to be. This is absolutely fantastic.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Agayek said:
erttheking said:

Bingo.

The biggest issue with EA is that any nice pat on the back done by them is usually followed up with a backstab.

Plus, as others have said EA could cure cancer and still be disliked by people.

The stench of being a greedy moronic douchebag doesn't fade that easily.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
L34dP1LL said:
Yay? I'm with Andy, who knows what new brand of evil machination they'll spawn next. I doubt they did it just because of customer feedback.
Maybe it was just a mix of them not selling online passes or more new copies. Or maybe they realize it was misguided because the used game buyers weren't the ones making the massive profits from the used game market.
Either way, I agree, something worse is probably on the way.
They were evidently selling online passes. It makes me think that they must have been losing new sales or the like.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ed130 said:
Plus, as others have said EA could cure cancer and still be disliked by people.

The stench of being a greedy moronic douchebag doesn't fade that easily.
To be fair, EA would likely cure cancer, then lock it behind install payments so that insurance companies couldn't reduce their profit margins.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
A few more years and a few more companies backtracking on stupid decisions and we might actually be back to the state we were during the PS2 days!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I bet they're tired of being dubbed "Worst Company in America". Two years straight - and considering all the shitty companies out there - is quite an accomplishment.

Still, as the article said, there is the question of what they'll do to fill the void. Let's see if they're truly trying to inject some life into their PR.