Electronic Arts Suspends SimCity Marketing - UPDATED

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'll take some pawpcawn too, if you don't mind. No butter, though.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious. I gave into my Maxis fanboyism (something which dates back to SimCity One) and forgot EA was associated. I figure things will be eventually sorted out, but I'm glad someone's putting this new DRM schtick through the wringer.

As someone else has said: a few more epic fails and the industry will wake up.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Okay, I kind of need to call it at this point. Cutting off ads to a non-functioning game is post-apocalyptic corporate protocol 101, it's not like anyone would be better off if they hadn't done that. Seriously, half of you sound like my wife at this point.

I'm always down for some EA wristslapping, but only when a wristslapping is in order. Now you're just reporting on their daily lives, this article tells me nothing.

Also don't get me wrong, they dun goof'd. I just think we should only say that in the articles where they did actually fuck up.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
My god, this is hilarious :D

This has got to be the best EA drama yet.

/popcorn

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well. This is a first for me.
I've seen marketing and ads pulled for many reasons, but to keep people from buying the game to save face and stand up servers is a new one.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
People need to stop buying these DRM controlled pieces of shit. Whining for refunds isnt going to make a publisher change their minds on DRM. theyll just say to themselves damn they're really made, we should make the DRM better next time.

im so so sick of reading about gamers and reviewers complaining about drm then either buying it or reviewing it. make a stand. say no. if they push his drm bullshit on us refuse to buy it, websites refuse to review it or even talk about it. this crap needs to die and it never ever will if you people keep buying the games just because you like the series regardless of the garbage they're making you deal with in order to play it.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I'm actually getting a bit of entertainment out of this trainwreck. Considering that I spend $60 on the game, it does help offset that expense.

Tune in next week when Starcraft 2 blows up the internet too.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
kaizen2468 said:
People need to stop buying these DRM controlled pieces of shit. Whining for refunds isnt going to make a publisher change their minds on DRM. theyll just say to themselves damn they're really made, we should make the DRM better next time.

im so so sick of reading about gamers and reviewers complaining about drm then either buying it or reviewing it. make a stand. say no. if they push his drm bullshit on us refuse to buy it, websites refuse to review it or even talk about it. this crap needs to die and it never ever will if you people keep buying the games just because you like the series regardless of the garbage they're making you deal with in order to play it.
It's kind of a reviewer's job to review them. The average consumer isn't necessarily going to know about all this always-online DRM stuff, and a review is potentially the only way they're going to learn about it.

OT: With all this talk about the DRM problems, I've never actually heard anyone comment on whether or not the base game is any good. It's almost moot at this point, but at least with Diablo III, I knew about the title of the quality as a whole, in addition to the DRM problems. The only thing I know about this game is that it's having DRM problems, which, let's face it, we all saw coming a mile away.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
It's like people have never been part of a release-day server fuckup in a game. Honestly, people being up in arms about this is so 2002. If you care that much, get a refund. Otherwise, have some patience and wait it out.

Other than that: Bla bla bla, EA hate, bla.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
kaizen2468 said:

I honestly don't think that many ppl outside the echo chamber of gaming sites really mind drm. Uplay, Steam, Blizz (starcraft 2 D3) whatever it is I'm actually fine with it cause its usually been relatively invisible for me. Granted this sims launch has been screwy for some but outside that drms always been a non issue. (for me)

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Funny, I just started up Origin and the first thing that hit me in the face was a pop-up begging me to buy SimCity.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
FEichinger said:
ohnoitsabear said:
The plus side to this mess is that it seems highly unlikely that EA is going to try always-on DRM again anytime soon. The SimCity launch has just been too much of a disaster. Hell, this may even encourage other companies to not do similar things in the future.
We saw how well that worked out with Diablo 3.
yeah but it was less than a year ago that diablo 3 came out, with the way sim city was made and runs it might not have been possible to reverse the decision to have always on drm. it was scrap the whole thing or go ahead and try and not make the same mistakes.

another angle might be they wanted to try it out for themselfs. the big guys need to each make the same mistakes, and see it from the inside, as they would be unwilling to share how badly they have messed up with their competitors. it might not stop any games in the works but it might well stop any new games going into production with this from the start.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
FEichinger said:
Longstreet said:
Man, all these Simcity / EA news messages is like a gift that keeps on giving
Let's see what happens next.

I'm cooking up some popcorn, any takers?
Ah, awesome, I'll have a bag!
Here ya go!

Anyway, like Dax said, Origin does keep begging you to buy the game. Guess Ea rules / demand only apply to everyone else but EA?

has ANYONE that roams around this forum been able to actually play?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008

You know how the lead guy from the A-Team says he loves it when a plan comes together? Well I love it when I get to watch a plan implode in on itself like a house of cards held together by globs of shit. Fingers crossed they shit-can the launch and release it again in a few months sans servers; and maybe fire the people who ever thought this was a good idea.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
rodneyy said:
FEichinger said:
ohnoitsabear said:
The plus side to this mess is that it seems highly unlikely that EA is going to try always-on DRM again anytime soon. The SimCity launch has just been too much of a disaster. Hell, this may even encourage other companies to not do similar things in the future.
We saw how well that worked out with Diablo 3.
yeah but it was less than a year ago that diablo 3 came out, with the way sim city was made and runs it might not have been possible to reverse the decision to have always on drm. it was scrap the whole thing or go ahead and try and not make the same mistakes.

another angle might be they wanted to try it out for themselfs. the big guys need to each make the same mistakes, and see it from the inside, as they would be unwilling to share how badly they have messed up with their competitors. it might not stop any games in the works but it might well stop any new games going into production with this from the start.
EA had the opportunity to delay the game release, if the retail version wasn't shipped yet.
EA also had the opportunity to stock up on infrastructure prior to release.
And finally, EA had the opportunity to give their existing infrastructure a stress test - and evaluate interest - during an actual beta.

Neither of which they successfully did, even though they had enough of a warning in advance thanks to the Diablo 3 debacle. There is no excuse for this failure.