Electronic Arts Suspends SimCity Marketing - UPDATED

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
"Listen, we've been running some projections and have decided it's no longer in our best interests to market the game."
"What?! How can that be?!"
"Well, according to the server stats, we've already sold as many copies than there are people who exist on the planet, so it would be physically impossible to sell even more copies than that."
"LETS KEEP TRYING, THE SERVERS CAN TAKE IT."

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
direkiller said:
Cecilo said:
What refund. EA is refusing any and all refunds.
They can't in most places outside of the US.
The fact that they only do it in countries they are legally obliged to do it and not in nations where they can get away with not doing it does them no credit.

It's also a sign that consumer laws in the United States are a joke.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! STOP SELLING OUR GAMES!!!

We can't handle it anymore! It's a disaster! We fried 7 server farms already just trying to handle all the login attempts! Please stop buying our game! We beg you."

You know things are FUBAR when EA takes steps to prevent more game sales.

Karathos said:
It's like people have never been part of a release-day server fuckup in a game. Honestly, people being up in arms about this is so 2002. If you care that much, get a refund. Otherwise, have some patience and wait it out.

Other than that: Bla bla bla, EA hate, bla.
Guess we should just accept it and move on. Also yes getting a refund from EA would be nice. Next I am going to ride my purple unicorn of into lala land where you are apparently permanently residing :D

EA refunds. Ha! They refuse to offer refunds because the current situation is "not exceptional" enough to qualify.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Man this train wreck keeps on getting better and better, I wonder if EA will actually learn something from this?
I'll take some of that popcorn too please.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
This is like watching a slow motion trainwreck unfold. Only it's worse because I actually bought the game and am one of the idiots who's trapped in the trainwreck.
Game's playable at Australian peak time, so... we don't care anymore and are having fun :)

KillaBC

Feb 18, 2013
To be fair EA needed this, i'm not going to hate on them it's a company that makes money. Anyway EA had become complacent over it's abilities to 'churn' out games. It thought it had unlimited resources and the capacity to sell anything. Turns out it doesn't and the community at large is ripping it a new one.

Is Sim City a good game in its self? I wouldn't know I haven't played it but considering the questionable business practices of EA has employing over the past few years. It seems to have made the slide to shareholder friendly firm with total focus on draining as much from the customer as possible. Sim City is the epitome of what EA has become, maybe now is the time to rethink its strategy.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Say what you will about Halo, at least Bungie/Microsoft said "Okay, we need to test our servers and make absolutely sure they work."

Here, it's not even attempted.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I think the greatest crime here is that SimCity is supposedly REALLY GOOD when, you know, you can actually play it.

But I'm not willing on spending $73 USD to buy the damn thing in New Zealand and I am not comfortable in voting with my wallet for a product that has an always online requirement.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
The Philistine said:
This has got to be the most entrainment I've gotten from a game I never bought.
Seconded. Hooray for schadenfreude. Especially after that argument I had with a coworker about whether or not always-on DRM can piss right off--my position is that yes, it actually can, and the sooner the better. I assume that, by now, he's beginning to reconsider his position on the matter.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
So that would be the third disaster in a few months, did this one sell or are more people unemployed now because of EA?

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
kyoodle said:
So that would be the third disaster in a few months, did this one sell or are more people unemployed now because of EA?
The servers had issues from too much of a strain. This means that there was a ton of users connecting, for else the servers wouldn't have had issues. This means that a ton of people bought it, for else they wouldn't be users.

EA does not process refunds. This means that there will be no retracted sales, for else a refund would indeed be processed.

Conclusion: The game did sell very well, for else there wouldn't have been a ton of people who bought it while no sales are retracted.

-- Please note, I'm speaking in hyperboles here. EA apparently does offer some refunds and EA probably didn't even calculate how many users they'd have to anticipate to break even ... Soo ... yeh, in practice, this logic doesn't work out, but it's a nice theoretical construct.

TL;DR: People will probably still lose their jobs because EA likes to blame devs and customers rather than themselves, but the game sold well.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
kyoodle said:
If it didn't sell the servers would've been fine, I think their jobs are pretty safe

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
kyoodle said:
The only person who will be fired is the hamster that powers their SimCity servers.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
EA like money but money does not liek EA? This sentance makes little sense but neither does EA's inability to predict demand for this game... but think how much money they're loosing/missing out on every second :p its gleefully amusing to consider.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Longstreet said:
Man, all these Simcity / EA news messages is like a gift that keeps on giving
Let's see what happens next.

I'm cooking up some popcorn, any takers?
My guess is, a massive glitch rears it's ugly head X number of days that stops the game recognising peoples legit online passes (I've not really looked into this, but it's an EA game, there's got to be an online pass right?) meaning none of them can actually play the game anymore. EAs attempts to fix the issue ends up destroying the multiverse.

I'd say this is funny, but I was a real big Sim City fan back in the day, so it's also kind of sad to see, in a way.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
"You can't play the game we sold you, because we are incapable of sustaining the system we put in place to keep people from playing our game without buying it."

Can anyone still argue that always-online isn't a really, really bad idea?