Electronic Arts Suspends SimCity Marketing - UPDATED

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
This just goes to show em better to be over prepared then under the losses are much less worse in the long run.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
What a mess! Looks like Aliens lucked out in that now this has everyone's attention.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Rule #1 of picking up online multiplayer focused games: DO NOT PICK UP ON LAUNCH DAY!

Actually, I'm kinda waiting to get my new PC though. My laptop can run it, but it'll look like ass so there's that.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
UPDATE: We contacted EA and were told that the company would not be commenting on the situation.
...Quite possibly the smartest thing an EA rep has said to the public in ages...

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
WouldYouKindly said:
Rule #1 of picking up online multiplayer focused games: DO NOT PICK UP ON LAUNCH DAY!

Actually, I'm kinda waiting to get my new PC though. My laptop can run it, but it'll look like ass so there's that.
Don't pick up the game at all. If you buy this game, you are part of the problem.

Just say no to bullshit DRM.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
Ickabod said:
I'm actually getting a bit of entertainment out of this trainwreck. Considering that I spend $60 on the game, it does help offset that expense.

Tune in next week when Starcraft 2 blows up the internet too.
I wonder if Blizzard learned anything from the Diablo3 launch? I'm sure there will be plenty of hilarity over on the Blizzard forums, if it's anything like the D3 launch.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Some funny person made this steam sale spoof.

http://postimage.org/image/v296imhuv/

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
IrateDonnie said:
Ickabod said:
I'm actually getting a bit of entertainment out of this trainwreck. Considering that I spend $60 on the game, it does help offset that expense.

I wonder if Blizzard learned anything from the Diablo3 launch? I'm sure there will be plenty of hilarity over on the Blizzard forums, if it's anything like the D3 launch.
Considering this pretty much happens to blizzard with every single wow expansion and several large patches/events I doubt they have learned anything other then you will never be prepared for the demand.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
You'd think someone at EA would have seen what happened when Diablo III launched, and taken steps to make sure that didn't happen with their game...

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
As of now, all I know is I'm looking forward to the next Jimquisition.

Please oh please oh please, be about SimCity's epic fail!

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
kburns10 said:
What a mess! Looks like Aliens lucked out in that now this has everyone's attention.
Quite, something is going to have to crash and burn pretty badly if its going to beat either of these two for the title of 'train wreck of the year'. Any other major disasters pending?

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
snekadid said:
"Stop telling people about our horribly broken game! It's hard to sweep this under a rug when people keep taking the tour!"
That's my thought as well.

You know, it is a worrying thing I see with these new games having too few servers, first it was Diablo 3 and now it's SimCity...how is one supposed to trust a game featuring online content and DRM to be playable? Reviewers surely don't have to deal with that problem (at least those playing it before the game launches to the common man) so they can't include any problems with that in their review. And if big companies are constantly undercutting their expected (I'm guessing they calculate this, doing otherwise would be foolish) need for servers, how can one trust them to give you a working product?

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Ya know, Cliffy B recently released a press statement that, among other things, lamented the fact that people hate on EA while holding such goodwill towards valve. Perhaps he could take note of this debacle as just one example of why the ignorant masses don't afford EA the same kind of due respect as companies less cynical and lazy in the products they put out.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Setrus said:
snekadid said:
"Stop telling people about our horribly broken game! It's hard to sweep this under a rug when people keep taking the tour!"
That's my thought as well.

You know, it is a worrying thing I see with these new games having too few servers, first it was Diablo 3 and now it's SimCity...how is one supposed to trust a game featuring online content and DRM to be playable? Reviewers surely don't have to deal with that problem (at least those playing it before the game launches to the common man) so they can't include any problems with that in their review. And if big companies are constantly undercutting their expected (I'm guessing they calculate this, doing otherwise would be foolish) need for servers, how can one trust them to give you a working product?
Well. Just about any credible reviewer would sort of hint at this happening before the game was released. Just look at the WTF is Simcity. Half the frikken review is about the drm and some of the caveats that follows in its wake.. <,<

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Ickabod said:
Nah, not gonna happen. The campaign's only connection to the server are the achievements (which definitely will be busted, as they were in WoL's launch), but other than that you don't need to maintain connection to Battlenet to play it.

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
In combination with the horrendous launch of Diablo 3, can we now all agree that always on DRM in singleplayer games is a terrible idea with few, if any benefits? Especially seeing how much damage it has done to two highly revered franchises and how it has wrecked the goodwill of a large portion of the consumers?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Cecilo said:
What refund. EA is refusing any and all refunds.
It depends where the person lives, if their in the US their stuffed, but most other places yes they do because the laws require it.