Elite Seven Chosen As Guardians of the Internet

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Are you guys actually serious? I mean really really serious? Who can possible take down the entire World Wide Web?
That doesn't matter.

ICANN probably looked at the proposal, went "Guardians of the internet? That sounds FUCKING AWESOME!" and said yes.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
.p-0-q. said:
Ren3004 said:
Straying Bullet said:
Are you guys actually serious? I mean really really serious? Who can possible take down the entire World Wide Web?
Cyber-terrorists, I thought we'd made that clear.
your avatar went with that awesomeley i would say you win the INTERNET but.. yeah..
Yeah, offering the Internet as a gift will grow out of popularity now.

Tonight on The News: person mysteriously found dead in front of his computer with 7 bullet wounds!

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
So what do you do for a living?

Oh I'm one of seven elite people in the world who have the ability to reboot the internet if there was ever a terrorist attack. Im pretty well one of the Seven Holy Guardians of the almighty internet, sworn to serve and protect the mother internet. Not a huge deal.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Incredibly bad idea. Not so much the abillity to restore the Internet, which might become an issue if it's dropped defensively by some kind of "kill switches" used by various nations during a global conflict just as easily as by terrorists, but simply in the choice of who is holding those key cards.

I understand the political situation, and why they are going that multi-national for trust related reasons, but if this is serious there is no way some nations like "China" should have a card holder. The Internet is about free speech and sharing information, nations that have draconian limitations on free speech and/or have been engaging in "national firewall" type programs to filter information should not be involved in this at all.

Some of those nations having key cards seems like a natural invitation for them to intentionally NOT reboot the system if there was a massive incident, which would play more to their attitudes and philosophy than recovering it. Not to mention me wondering if this is true (and it sounds kind of hokey despite everything), because depending on how much data is on those cards it also means that doing a reboot someone could effectively tamper with the entire fabric of the Internet. A nation causing an incident specifically so they could see their card used in order to change things for example.

As odd as it sounds I would say that full sets of cards should be in the hands of the US and Britan to act exclusively as the first choices for a reset. International card holders should only come into play if for some reason all the other ones were neutralized.

Terrorism aside, if a serious war was to break out neither side given the likely divide would be able to put together enough cards. That might be part of the whole idea, but at the same time that's inherantly stupid since the bottom line is to be able to bring the internet back up as I understand it.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
These guys better be trained in weapons, kung fu, and all be able to take considerably more bullets than the average person.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
some people oblivouly got bord.

the only way that I can see the internet being brought down, is that if the hardware level of the internet was damaged/distoryed in which case the "restart" would be ponitless

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Sacman said:
as long as no one from /b/ was chosen we should be fine...
We are doomed if one of the people from /b/ worked as a double-agent and had the keycard with them...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
It may not be quite as simple as the box in the IT Crowd, but the internet is still run off of servers when it comes down to it.

It's not impossible for a cyber attack to bring the whole thing down.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
z3rostr1fe said:
Wow... So it will take alot of time just to reset the internets? I mean you still have to fly people into a secret base for the keys to be reunited, right? And what if the plan was foiled by these cyber-terrorists? I'm so pessimistic... :O
Oh crap. If the internet is already down, how will they book their flights to the US without Priceline and Orbitz?!

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Interesting idea...

Makes me want to disable all ISPs to force them to use it...

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
zfactor said:
Interesting idea...

Makes me want to disable all ISPs to force them to use it...
Well, your statement made me think that this announcement is some sort of hoax, to fool the people... I mean, it would make people think of devious ideas to prove the plan is a big failure, right? With that in mind, if this security plan was for real, it is already a failure... :/

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I hope all these "keyholders" will theme their houses to different elements of the earth.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
This is so. fucking. AWESOME
It's like the Osterhagen keys in Doctor Who. This planet needs more of this kind of awesome :p

And the way these keys are going to be passed down the generations :D [sub]AWESOME![/sub]