Elite Seven Chosen As Guardians of the Internet

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Hashbrick said:
Pfff big deal everyone knows you just pull the plug and plug it back in.
Of course if you want to actually do damage, you don't "pull the plug," you mess up the code so the thing doesn't boot properly or sends bogus data to your computer or delete all the html files or whatever...

I'm also wondering how a "reboot" of the internet would work. There is probably billions of terrabytes worth of constantly changing information out there, and someone put it on seven keycards that can be easily transported to the US? Sounds like crap.

EDIT: Now that I read the article, it just says the keycards contain the DNSSEC root key... So in other words, it's like saving the BIOS of a computer (so that was a stretch...) (BIOS - the part that loads before windows - if someone wiped your hard drive, that is the only thing that would load). All the internet data is lost, but at least it will boot... What's the point of that?

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
The reporting on this, wherever I see it, seems to just be... wrong.

As far as I'm aware there's no "reboot the internet if cyber-terrorists take it down" aspect at all. What's changed is that the root DNS servers now have a crypto key so that the results can be digitally signed and everyone can verify that they're getting results from the real DNS root servers, and not some malicious bogus server (that could redirect your request for "google.com" to the IP address of "google.scamsite.com" or whatever they wanted)

What I'm not so sure of is whether these keycards give these people access to a secure vault with the private key part of the certificate, or gives them the ability to change the key being used at regular intervals, or what their role in the system really is. Either way, they just need to be trusted with some crypto key, not legendary heroes of might and magic. Even then, they only need to be trustworthy in combination, not perfectly individually trustworthy; if I remember correctly, they need 5 out of the 7 cards to be used together.

Edit: reading further, maybe there is an element of potential rebooting - the cards are still just there to carry parts of a crypto key, but in the event of an attack the root servers might be disconnected from one another to limit the damage, which apparently would require these guys to step up to restore things to working order afterwards.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
So somehow the internet centralised deep underground in a secret desert base and guarded by the 7?

Guess which popular year 2000 video game this sounds like? (Oh shit, someone just went and installed it yet again.)

On a serious note, I'm still reeling at the mechanics of this. The internet is a decentralised network as far as I've always thought, so what on Earth would these key cards contain? And what does the base contain? I actually find this difficult to believe.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
By your powers combined, I am... THE INTERNET!

When they restart the internet, do the servers transform into giant robots?

Do they have cool code names and go out and fight bad guys during the day?

This is a good idea but it just sounds so funny. I suppose having a back-up is a good idea but it also seems like the premise of a ridiculously bad (or maybe awesome) movie.

IcyEvils

Sep 9, 2009
zfactor said:
I'm also wondering how a "reboot" of the internet would work. There is probably billions of terrabytes worth of constantly changing information out there, and someone put it on seven keycards that can be easily transported to the US? Sounds like crap.
Haha! It just so happens I was researching storage units on Wiki the other day, and found this little gem!
In fact, the combined space of all the computer hard drives in the entire world does not amount to even one yottabyte. According to one study, all the world's computers stored approximately 160 exabytes in 2006. As of 2009 the entire internet was estimated to contain close to 500 exabytes.

Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yottabyte]
And the source [http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/may/18/digital-content-expansion].

So in reality it is roughly 500 million terabytes. Doesn't seem that big, does it?

Edit: That article was a year ago.
The digital universe is expected to double in size over the next 18 months
It reminds me of "The Library" in Doctor Who..

oxiclean

May 12, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Are you guys actually serious? I mean really really serious? Who can possible take down the entire World Wide Web?
i remember reading somewhere that there is a particularly large botnet (the storm botnet i believe) that is large enough to cause serious damage to some of the main servers that the internet is based on.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Looks like I'm going to go hunting and unite the keys!

Also I wonder if they get a costume, or if their cool, or if their near by...I wonder!!!

Also this is AWESSSOMOMEEOMEOM!!!1!!1111111!!!!!!!!!ONE!!!!!

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
IcyEvils said:
So in reality it is roughly 500 million terabytes. Doesn't seem that big, does it?
Makes me want to buy 500 million 1 TB hard drives so I can back it up...

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Can they alos fuse into a ginat robot when there powers combine?

Or summon Captian Internet?

A rich vein of humour has been releaved this day, time to mine it!

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
There should totally be a movie made around this story. Filled with lots of action and faux-mysticism about the internet and how it can be destroyed or redeemed as such. I bet it'd sell like hot cakes! Just look at that Demons and Angels shite. :D

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Why does the US have to get the internet? Or whatever that meant. Seriously, wtf? The Internet is in a secret US base, isn't the WORLD wide web meant to be kept across the world?

Though, I could be talking stupid, I don't really much about how the Internet works.

Funkiest Monkey

Jul 10, 2010
So, who's gonna be the one to assemble an elite team to bring down the internet with these keycards? My money's on Kim Jong Il.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
I wonder how these 'keys' are gonna be passed down the generations.

Perhaps they should be called The Patriots.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Ranooth said:
Theres a Lord of the Rings spin off in here somewhere!
Yes, theres probably an 8th secret key, forged in the darkness of the pentagon.
One key to find them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Elite Seven Chosen As Guardians of the Internet
At least five of the super seven would have to converge at a secret base in the U.S. to restart the system, essentially restarting the internet and allowing us to resume play of Mafia Wars.
But what if five of them turned to the side of the terrorists, or the US was the major base for the terrorist attackers! In the words of Admiral Ackbar, "IT'S A TRAP!"

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Are you guys actually serious? I mean really really serious? Who can possible take down the entire World Wide Web?
Well yes, you keep believing in the security of your internet while I reformulate my plans to take down the internet. Damn seven guardians of the internet, always making me hunt down keys.

NOTHING IS WRONG. DO NOT SUSPECT ANYTHING. GO ABOUT YOUR DAILY SCHEDULE AS YOU WOULD NORMALLY.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Sougo said:
Ranooth said:
Theres a Lord of the Rings spin off in here somewhere!
Yes, theres probably an 8th secret key, forged in the darkness of the pentagon.
One key to find them all, and in the darkness bind them.
THE PRECIOUS!