Ender's Game Actor Could Be New Spider-Man

Oct 20, 2010
LysanderNemoinis said:
Why couldn't be be Miles Morales? The important thing is the quality of the actor, not their skin color.
Because Peter Parker is spider man. The best, the only. Now if you want him to be black, then sure make Peter black - that's not an issue. They made Kingpin Black in Daredevil and he was awesome.
Scars Unseen said:
I guess I'll be the dissenting voice here in saying that I think that Spider-Man needs to be teen Parker in order to insert himself into the MCU smoothly. I don't want them to dwell on the origin itself, because I think we get the gist of that by now, but he does kind of need to be have only gotten his powers post-Avengers(and probably post-Ultron) in order to make sense within the established timeline.

Besides, give him a few movies, then kill him off. Then we can bring in Morales the way he should be(not just out of the blue for no other reason than people like him).

Also, isn't he first coming in during Cap: Civil War? We probably won't see him as high school parker for long if at all if that's the case.
That's a decent way to get to Miles Morales, and probably a badass movie: Spidey gets squashed.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well, he does look the part. And that's all I can say about him, have never watched him in anything.
Tough about Garfield, I think he was a pretty good Spiderman.

Virtual Boy

Feb 21, 2015
LysanderNemoinis said:
Why couldn't be be Miles Morales? The important thing is the quality of the actor, not their skin color.
Cause Miles doesn't work without Peter. Peter was Miles' Uncle Ben, the thing that inspired him to be a hero. Do Peter for a few movies, kill him off, THEN you can do Miles.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, on the one hand, it's Asa Butterfield. Saw him in Ender's Game and Hugo - both good movies, and he did a good job in both.

On the other hand, it's an MCU film, so my interest stops there.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
He looks a lot like Pete actually. If they do cast him, that's a huge step in the right direction. Hope the script is up to the task.
And we knew it wasn't going to be Miles since the Sony hacking last year. Besides, Miles practically killed the popularity of the series he was introduced in. No way are they going to have him be "the" Spider-Man.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Pyrian said:
remnant_phoenix said:
Pyrian said:
remnant_phoenix said:
One complaint: too young.

And that's not the actor's fault, of course.
...Given that he's 18?

Well, he certainly looks nerdy enough, I suppose, which Garfield really didn't.
He looks A LOT younger than 18 in that picture.
Maybe in movie terms, where it seems to be routine to cast much older actors. When was the last time you saw a group of college freshmen? They look like kids, mostly.
I teach secondary school. I see 18-year-old people every day. That's just my point. Using those kids I see daily as a point of comparison, he looks notably younger than 18 in that picture; he looks too young to play the incarnation of Spider-Man I would prefer to see in the MCU.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Wait are we seriously doing ANOTHER Spiderman?
I mean I liked Maguire, the recent one not so much at all, but at this point it gets silly.

But I can totally see that guy as Spiderman, assuming the writing is decent.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
He's a good actor. If it turns out to be true I'll be looking forward to seeing his take on the role.

Having Miles Morales instead of Peter Parker wouldn't make much sense, since the Marvel film universe is based on the regular Marvel universe and not the Ultimate universe.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Miles Morales is an interesting character. But he's not THE Spiderman. He's a different character that is currently carrying the Spiderman mantel in the non-mainstream universe.

Peter Parker is THE Spiderman.

That's not to say a movie shouldn't be made with Miles in it. But not until they give him his own moniker instead of sticking him under the mantel of one of the most popular heroes of all times. That a raw deal for Miles and they know it.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Please, literally anyone else. Sure, I want to punch his face, but it's not a pathetic impossibly dorky kind of face. It's more of a how the hell do you have such an infuriatingly smug punchable face kind of face.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think it's a good idea to pick him so young. I mean if you are trying to find an actor to handle a long duration franchise, the younger the better. Then, you can milk him for a lot more movies before he ages out of the "young action hero" bracket. So, get him at 18, let him be a senior in highschool, so then if the movie does well, you transition to college. Makes sense to me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
Miles Morales is an interesting character. But he's not THE Spiderman. He's a different character that is currently carrying the Spiderman mantel in the non-mainstream universe.

That's not to say a movie shouldn't be made with Miles in it. But not until they give him his own moniker instead of sticking him under the mantel of one of the most popular heroes of all times. That a raw deal for Miles and they know it.
Out of curiosity, given your emphatic stance on who THE spiderman is xD, would you have an issue if they race switched Peter? And made him another ethnicity, but kept everything else about him the same?

I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious when people talk about Peter being the one true Spidey, and then I actually think about who he is, all I can really come up with is "generic looking white guy". So I don't really see what is so unique about Peter himself, other than the decades worth of legacy he has as the most popular super hero in the world. When really, at his core, there isn't anything about Peter that couldn't be applied to other ethnicities.

Traits of Peter as I understand them:

1. Awkward, nerdy guy.

2. Picked on at school.

3. Strong love for his family and friends

4. Cursed by the god of unluck to never accomplish anything for more than an issue or two.

5. Really smart.

All of those traits are universal, so would having a black Peter Parker be kosher with the fans do you think?

Again, not trying to imply anything, just I keep seeing all this "Miles isn't Peter" discussion, and it makes me curious if anyone would actually care if they simply made Peter black. Because honestly, there isn't anything intrinsically white about the things that make him Peter.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Could we just stop making Spider Man movies? For the love of God, just stop. It's embarrassing at this point.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Eri said:
Could we just stop making Spider Man movies? For the love of God, just stop. It's embarrassing at this point.
Why? Are you talking about the films themselves being embarrassing, or the fact that they're making a sixth Spider-Man film in the space of what will be fifteen or sixteen years?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Lightknight said:

Out of curiosity, given your emphatic stance on who THE spiderman is xD, would you have an issue if they race switched Peter? And made him another ethnicity, but kept everything else about him the same?

I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just curious when people talk about Peter being the one true Spidey, and then I actually think about who he is, all I can really come up with is "generic looking white guy". So I don't really see what is so unique about Peter himself, other than the decades worth of legacy he has as the most popular super hero in the world. When really, at his core, there isn't anything about Peter that couldn't be applied to other ethnicities.

Traits of Peter as I understand them:

1. Awkward, nerdy guy.

2. Picked on at school.

3. Strong love for his family and friends

4. Cursed by the god of unluck to never accomplish anything for more than an issue or two.

5. Really smart.

All of those traits are universal, so would having a black Peter Parker be kosher with the fans do you think?

Again, not trying to imply anything, just I keep seeing all this "Miles isn't Peter" discussion, and it makes me curious if anyone would actually care if they simply made Peter black. Because honestly, there isn't anything intrinsically white about the things that make him Peter.
Interesting, that's actually a really good question that I hadn't considered.

If it was still Peter Parker but black, then yeah, that's still Spiderman in my opinion or at least a legitimate version of him. Not an entirely different character. Is the character "THE" Peter Parker? Universe #whatever Peter Parker that the original comics were set in? Probably not, but that's far more forgivable than a non-Peter Parker being deemed as Spider-Man. So yeah, I'd guess my main beef is just with someone not Peter Parker being pitched as Spider-Man.

I do have a bit of a problem with changing major attributes of the most popular characters but as long as the change is due to the quality of the actor then that's great. Like Samuel L. Jackson owning the Hell out of Nick Fury in a way David Hasselhoff never could :p.

I do think that casting Peter Parker as black just to check the race off of a checklist would be an inherently racist action. But hiring a black actor that owns the role? That's worth exploring. Donald Glover as Peter Parker? Let's give it a shot. Haha, I have to admit, that would be interesting. Far more than the random white dudes they keep badly casting.

I think Marvel will do a far better job at casting though. Sony was screwing it up.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
Happyninja42 said:
Lightknight said:
snip

If it was still Peter Parker but black, then yeah, that's still Spiderman in my opinion or at least a legitimate version of him. Not an entirely different character. Is the character "THE" Peter Parker? Universe #whatever Peter Parker that the original comics were set in? Probably not, but that's far more forgivable than a non-Peter Parker being deemed as Spider-Man. So yeah, I'd guess my main beef is just with someone not Peter Parker being pitched as Spider-Man.

I do have a bit of a problem with changing major attributes of the most popular characters but as long as the change is due to the quality of the actor then that's great. Like Samuel L. Jackson owning the Hell out of Nick Fury in a way David Hasselhoff never could :p.

I do think that casting Peter Parker as black just to check the race off of a checklist would be an inherently racist action. But hiring a black actor that owns the role? That's worth exploring. Donald Glover as Peter Parker? Let's give it a shot. Haha, I have to admit, that would be interesting. Far more than the random white dudes they keep badly casting.

I think Marvel will do a far better job at casting though. Sony was screwing it up.
Yeah, I'm not saying make him black just to fulfill a checklist requirement, I'm just talking about, if race isn't an issue, (in that a character doesn't have to be a specific race to be that character), then changing his race if it fits the story being told, shouldn't be an issue. You mention the Samuel L. Jackson/Nick Fury angle, another I can think of is, Idris Elba as Heimdall. I'm not sure if they did that simply to "have a black guy in the cast" but damn if he wasn't a fun Heimdall.

Personally I don't care if they change races around all day, as these stories have become worldwide, and no longer just the culture in which they spawned. So rebranding them to fit a different demographic, to me, is perfectly fine. I don't care that the new Human Torch is black for example, I just care if he can actually act. Considering who they picked for the role, I'm pretty comfortable that even if the movie sucks ass, it probably won't be because of his performance. I am curious how they are going to explain they are still brother sister, considering just how white his sister is. I'm assuming it's simply going to be an adoption thing, which is fine with me.

But when it comes to the Miles Morales issue, you and I are just on opposite ends of the issue I think. For you, Spiderman will always be Peter Parker. Personally, I'm fine with other people taking up that mantle. I don't see it as the "riding on Peter's coattails" or the "let them have their own heroes, and stop rebranding ours" kind of thing. Not that I'm saying either of those positions are yours, but I have seen both arguments presented by others on this subject. I'm totally fine with it, because as I've said, I love legacy stories. I love the idea of something becoming bigger, and greater than it's creator, and living on past them. So having others continue the battle of Spiderman, to me, is awesome. It let's new stories be told, but with the same familiar setting of the New York Webslinger. But that's just me. xD

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Lightknight said:
Happyninja42 said:
Lightknight said:
snip

Yeah, I'm not saying make him black just to fulfill a checklist requirement, I'm just talking about, if race isn't an issue, (in that a character doesn't have to be a specific race to be that character), then changing his race if it fits the story being told, shouldn't be an issue. You mention the Samuel L. Jackson/Nick Fury angle, another I can think of is, Idris Elba as Heimdall. I'm not sure if they did that simply to "have a black guy in the cast" but damn if he wasn't a fun Heimdall.

Personally I don't care if they change races around all day, as these stories have become worldwide, and no longer just the culture in which they spawned. So rebranding them to fit a different demographic, to me, is perfectly fine. I don't care that the new Human Torch is black for example, I just care if he can actually act. Considering who they picked for the role, I'm pretty comfortable that even if the movie sucks ass, it probably won't be because of his performance. I am curious how they are going to explain they are still brother sister, considering just how white his sister is. I'm assuming it's simply going to be an adoption thing, which is fine with me.

But when it comes to the Miles Morales issue, you and I are just on opposite ends of the issue I think. For you, Spiderman will always be Peter Parker. Personally, I'm fine with other people taking up that mantle. I don't see it as the "riding on Peter's coattails" or the "let them have their own heroes, and stop rebranding ours" kind of thing. Not that I'm saying either of those positions are yours, but I have seen both arguments presented by others on this subject. I'm totally fine with it, because as I've said, I love legacy stories. I love the idea of something becoming bigger, and greater than it's creator, and living on past them. So having others continue the battle of Spiderman, to me, is awesome. It let's new stories be told, but with the same familiar setting of the New York Webslinger. But that's just me. xD
I think it'd be different if it was a character that had a long line of legacy inheritors like DC has. Who is the Flash? Who is Green Lantern? Depends on when you started reading the series.

But Miles not only has the fact that Peter Parker has always been Spidey but has another hurdle in that he isn't Spiderman in the mainstream comics. So he doesn't even get the benefit of being canon.