Enders Game studio releases statement on Orson Scott Card's views

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
rob_simple said:
Are you white? I have to assume that you are, because everything you say absolutely reeks of White Man's Privilege. You seem to be working on the assumption that gays, 'negars' and Christians are all fighting to become the dominant force in society, and while that is certainly true of a minority of religious factions (not the consensus of the religion as a whole) for the most part people are just asking for acceptance and, if that's not on the cards, tolerance.

You're whole 'wahh it's a double standard' argument is the exact same bullshit I always see men pulling in Feminist threads when they complain that women have the audacity to want equal pay and yet you're not allowed to fuck them just because you buy them dinner. You don't seem to understand what a double standard is: If one group is only slightly less oppressed than the other, that's not a double standard; it's a sad reflection of society, as a whole.
I'd like to point out that your being quite a hypocrite with that statement, especially the first line. To claim your all about tolerance in one sentence then the next attack him for possibly being a white male and that if so he has no right to comment because of their race and gender (aka racism and sexism, do you oppose them or not?).

From reading his comment it sounds like he's trying to say that he hasn't got an issue with gays and even supports them fighting for their rights, but thinks they need to do it properly. Parading in the streets (which is apparently illegal where he lives) and getting away from it is a double standard to allow it when other groups (regardless of who they are) aren't allowed to do the same thing. Rather he suggests they vote against those that are against gay marraige, petition congress to change the laws and if it comes to it enter office themselves and change the laws which they are allowed to do without discrimination (as far as I'm aware).

I agree with both of you, your correct that it's a disgrace that gays get prosecuted and even killed in some places and he's correct that they shouldn't get special treatment (regardless of why their doing it), if you want equality then it has to be equal for all not just equal but each group gets a special exemption. Personally the laws need to be standardised for all, one set of laws that are for everyone regardless of race, gender, sexuality or religion. No special exemptions and no discrimination against, it's the only fair system.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
HardkorSB said:
Have you seen Hollywood Homicide or Firewall?
I don't get the negative response to Firewall. I saw it and thought it was brilliant, and was then baffled when it turned out to have negative reviews. Still am.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
RicoADF said:
rob_simple said:
Are you white? I have to assume that you are, because everything you say absolutely reeks of White Man's Privilege. You seem to be working on the assumption that gays, 'negars' and Christians are all fighting to become the dominant force in society, and while that is certainly true of a minority of religious factions (not the consensus of the religion as a whole) for the most part people are just asking for acceptance and, if that's not on the cards, tolerance.

You're whole 'wahh it's a double standard' argument is the exact same bullshit I always see men pulling in Feminist threads when they complain that women have the audacity to want equal pay and yet you're not allowed to fuck them just because you buy them dinner. You don't seem to understand what a double standard is: If one group is only slightly less oppressed than the other, that's not a double standard; it's a sad reflection of society, as a whole.
I'd like to point out that your being quite a hypocrite with that statement, especially the first line. To claim your all about tolerance in one sentence then the next attack him for possibly being a white male and that if so he has no right to comment because of their race and gender (aka racism and sexism, do you oppose them or not?).
I've actually sorted this out with him in a PM, but I feel the need to address your first paragrraph. My point is that, and bear in mind I am saying this as a white male myself, a lot of white, middle class men have a really weird habit of making out they are victimised in a world where they have literally every advantage given to them. Louis C.K. says it much better than I ever could:

I wasn't saying he had no right to comment, given that I'm a white straight guy it would be super hypocritical of me to do so, I was saying that he was being incredibly dismissive of what these people are fighting for and that the only conclusion I could draw was that he had such a privileged existence he was blind to all the prejudice other people encounter on a daily basis.

I do get how you could see it as hypocritical --and to be honest it was a flippant remark that I probably shouldn't have made in an otherwise serious post-- but I was just trying to figure out where he was coming from, and why he was declaring that everyone was equal and couldn't see that that was absolutely not the case, especially for gay people who are still being denied basic human rights in even the most progressive parts of the world.

And as I said, I'm not saying gay people deserve special treatment, but that's not what his example with the parades demonstrates: what that demonstrates is general oppression but with one group slightly less oppressed than the others. Yes, there is an element of double standards, but the bigger issue is that the government sees fit at all to tell any groups of people they cannot have a voice. That isn't the fault of gay people, it's the fault of the government.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
rob_simple said:
I've actually sorted this out with him in a PM, but I feel the need to address your first paragrraph. My point is that, and bear in mind I am saying this as a white male myself, a lot of white, middle class men have a really weird habit of making out they are victimised in a world where they have literally every advantage given to them. Louis C.K. says it much better than I ever could:

*SNIP youtube video*

I wasn't saying he had no right to comment, given that I'm a white straight guy it would be super hypocritical of me to do so, I was saying that he was being incredibly dismissive of what these people are fighting for and that the only conclusion I could draw was that he had such a privileged existence he was blind to all the prejudice other people encounter on a daily basis.

I do get how you could see it as hypocritical --and to be honest it was a flippant remark that I probably shouldn't have made in an otherwise serious post-- but I was just trying to figure out where he was coming from, and why he was declaring that everyone was equal and couldn't see that that was absolutely not the case, especially for gay people who are still being denied basic human rights in even the most progressive parts of the world.

And as I said, I'm not saying gay people deserve special treatment, but that's not what his example with the parades demonstrates: what that demonstrates is general oppression but with one group slightly less oppressed than the others. Yes, there is an element of double standards, but the bigger issue is that the government sees fit at all to tell any groups of people they cannot have a voice. That isn't the fault of gay people, it's the fault of the government.
No problem mate, now I get where your coming from and agree. The problem with these discussions is they often end up with people debating over a few words which means one thing to the writer and another to the reader, text isn't the best way to discuss these matters especially when even in person people often end up arguing over a topic they have the same view on, it can get rather silly from a 3rd person's viewpoint.

As for the topic at hand which I deviated from in my last post, I don't know who this person is so I'll refrain from commenting. It sounds like from the others that have posted here that he's an anti gay rights person that funds groups that support traditional marriage. That's his right regardless of weather I agree with it or not, but it's also our right to decide weather to buy things that he makes. That's something the customers are going to have to decide on themselves, voting with their wallets.

Catcha: in the air - indeed the issue is.