Endings You Didn't Like (Expect Spoilers)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Ever play a game, watch a movie/anime, or read a book and not like the ending?

A while back, I watched The Departed (if you haven't seen it you should). In the end, Leonardo Dicaprio has caught Matt Damon red handed, has him hand cuffed and entirely beaten. Then, on the way out, he gets shot by another mole in the police department. The fuck? It came out of nowhere. One minute, we're looking at him and the next, he's dead! We didn't even know there was a second mole! Then, Damon shots the other mole and makes it look like they shot each other. Finally, Damon is shot by DiCaprio's former boss. Okay, so I was kinda happy that Damon got his comeuppance, but I didn't like that the only real hero (DiCaprio) died.

Also, I just saw Immortals the other night, and while it was pretty good, I didn't like the ending. I'd explain, but I fear even in a spoiler tag, it'd be too tempting to read, and I don't want to spoil it for those who hadn't seen it yet. This is actually what prompted this thread in the first place.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
I love the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime, but I felt like it really fell apart at the end.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
The Soul Eater anime,
I'm under the understanding that the manga continues and the anime ends as such because of studio funding problems, but I still lament that the ending, or even that last segment of the show couldn't be as good as the first half or so.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
The ending to Petshop Of Horrors, the manga. The ending wasn't exactly disappointing, it was more that I didn't want it to end that way :'( *Sniff* Then again, I didn't want it to end at all...

jw1410

Aug 31, 2011
The ending of Deus Ex: HR felt a bit lack luster and 'meh'. All I can think of which I was really left me feeling disappointed.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Mydogisblue said:
I love the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime, but I felt like it really fell apart at the end.
Very much agree with this, the second half seemed pretty weak to me.

Saltyk said:
Also, I just saw Immortals the other night, and while it was pretty good, I didn't like the ending. I'd explain, but I fear even in a spoiler tag, it'd be too tempting to read, and I don't want to spoil it for those who hadn't seen it yet. This is actually what prompted this thread in the first place.
I saw immortals yesterday and I agree the ending was bad, but I also didn't care much for the story in general (wasn't why I saw the movie, but still bad).

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
The ending for one of the latest prince of persia, the one where you collect "light seeds". At the end you are forced to liberate the dark god you spent the whole game emprisoning to rescuscitate the princess who had sacrificed herself to achieve it. Looking like a total selfish ass in the process.
I know the studio who made it tried to pass it off as artistic licence, but I call bollocks. There's ~no treat whatsoever~ if you make the effort to get all of the light seeds, and there's a literal thousand of them. That's just lazy of the devs, or selfish of the studio who wouldn't invest 5 more minutes in the game.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Neverwinter Nights 2 had a really bad ending for the OC

Rocks fall, everyone dies

MotB tried to retcon it, but I don't think it worked very well.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Splice, Great film, but that ending is an ungodly abomination. The best thing to do when you watch it is to stop fifteen minutes before the ending, and pretend that they killed the creature in the name of love, or some shit.

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
I beat Crysis 2 this week, and Arkham Asylum just now. And, what the hell, is this a trend or what? Both endings were short, uninteresting, absolutely unsatisfactory. I want a "the world is saved [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzqOa9y02I]" ending, damnit! Something meaty, grand, exhilarating, unquestionably triumphant. You know, an actual ending -- not a mere hook for a sequel.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Saber Marionette J to X. Meh. Just meh.

Gunslinger Girl (TV). Wait, what? There should be more here! I feel like we've just gotten to know the girls and it's ending already? >:C

Mass Effect 2's Terminator knock-off. Fuck you Bioware, you really phoned it in with this one didn't you...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Yeah, giant Reset Buttons make great endings. Not. At least we got sparkly naked space lesbians though.

Clannad. Because it didn't end after Fuuko's arc. The rest of the show is... not good. Needs more Fuuko.

Bleach. Also because it didn't end.

Iczelion. Because it did end and shouldn't have!

Saki. Again, it should not have ended. Stupid studio going bust...

Strike Witches 2: ZOMG LET'S DO THE SAME THING WE DID THE FIRST TIME AROUND DUR HUR. Okay with a few small differences, but the endings of the first and second series are damn near interchangeable.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Griphphin said:
The Soul Eater anime,
I'm under the understanding that the manga continues and the anime ends as such because of studio funding problems, but I still lament that the ending, or even that last segment of the show couldn't be as good as the first half or so.
Pretty much this and Code Geass R2. All I can say is I dislike how it had turn out. Oh I also hated the ending to that film "Kingpin" althought looking back at it now it was more logical that they had went for that approach.

Disgruntled_peasant

Jan 13, 2011
Arkham Asylum. seriously, the entire game is a build up to a confrontation with the joker, though you know he's going to pull some trick out of his sleeve since a fair fist fight wouldnt exaclty make for a lengthy battle.

but then... that? really? that end boss was just terrible, then the final cutscene effectively says "and nobody was hurt and everybody lived happily ever after"

EDIT: after watching that yogcast preview, I cant help but think minecraft is going to be added to this.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
The ending of Akira really bothered me. I loved the first 2 acts. They really explored the grizzly underbelly of this world in which the ones who were in charge were trying so hard to sell as a utopia. There was great character development and an interesting political situation.

But then it had to go all anime and philisophical, completely throwing away all that character development. I probably could have handled it better if it all tied back in--maybe have the gangs step in to run things, taking care of things even the higher-up political people weren't aware of. But no. The ending wouldn't have been any different if they had just completely left out all of the gang stuff. It was just a waste of time--a way to pad things up before the whole Akira storyline kicked in.

And yeah, I know, the manga is much better and explains more, blah blah blah. I get that. But that has absolutely no bearing on the movie or how it made me feel. A great manga does not excuse a poorly-paced movie.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Saltyk said:
Ever play a game, watch a movie/anime, or read a book and not like the ending?

A while back, I watched The Departed (if you haven't seen it you should). In the end, Leonardo Dicaprio has caught Matt Damon red handed, has him hand cuffed and entirely beaten. Then, on the way out, he gets shot by another mole in the police department. The fuck? It came out of nowhere. One minute, we're looking at him and the next, he's dead! We didn't even know there was a second mole! Then, Damon shots the other mole and makes it look like they shot each other. Finally, Damon is shot by DiCaprio's former boss. Okay, so I was kinda happy that Damon got his comeuppance, but I didn't like that the only real hero (DiCaprio) died.
Thats because they fucked it up from the original. Go and watch the (far far superior) Infernal Affairs and you'll see how badly the remake fucked it.

Disgruntled_peasant said:
Arkham Asylum. seriously, the entire game is a build up to a confrontation with the joker, though you know he's going to pull some trick out of his sleeve since a fair fist fight wouldnt exaclty make for a lengthy battle.

but then... that? really? that end boss was just terrible, then the final cutscene effectively says "and nobody was hurt and everybody lived happily ever after"
Edit: Sorry, I misread Asylum as City, not because I wasn't paying attention, but because I've been hammering the game since it came out. Apologies for the confusion, and if I spoiled the ending for anyone (despuite putting it in spoiler tags...)

As for endings I didn't like, plenty of them. Though I really didn't like the ending to 'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger. Not that it was bad, it was a very well conceived ending, but was sinister, didn't sit right with me (while I'm not opposed to 'unhappy' endings, this was downright evil)

TheHappySquid

Feb 2, 2011
Hrmm... pretty sure this would fall into this category, but the ending of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. There's a disclaimer before the last chapter telling you to not read it, because it'll only ruin it. It's my favourite series of books ever, and I still haven't read the end.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Apollo Justice's ending was bad, two piss easy presents and you win the trial?! Fuck you game...

And as for the jury decision at the end, why in the name of biscuits would i knowingly drop my win? There's Non Standard Game Overs and then there's "i'm gonna knowingly fuck myself over for no adequate reason HERP DERP!"

It's a good game don't get me wrong, but it's the worst of all the Ace Attorney games for sure.

Also Bleach, because it should have ended sometime last year