Endings You Didn't Like (Expect Spoilers)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
...I'm the first one to mention Halo 2? Come on now, that was a fucking cliffhanger!

"Chief, would you mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?"
"Sir: Finishing this fight"
:credits:

It was bullshit! There wasn't even a proper final boss (not that Halo has had strong boss fights anyway) but you kill the Prophet in the middle of the game and are chasing another through to the end of Halo 2. You finally corner him on his ship and BAM! game over, come back for Halo 3.

Jan 27, 2011
Games:
Deus Ex human revolutions had a pretty lame ending compared to the AMAZING rest of the game.
Not gonna put any spoilers, because I don't want to go into detail. Everyone knows what I'm talking about here.

-
Magical Starsign (DS)
Ok, so it really started to suck after the first half kicked in, actually. But still, after a Lighthearted and awesome first half, and a depressing as hell second half (AN NPC COMMITTED A POINTLESS SUICIDE ON SCREEN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!), you get to the ending and find the teacher that you've been trying to find for the whole game. And you find her deep in a cave that turns you to gummy (like the candy) which is food for the final boss. And when you find her, she has almost completely turned into gummy, and is pretty much in a "I have no mouth and I must scream" position. With the last of her strength, she helps you save the solar system from a giant moth that eats solar systems.

...And then, the party of classmates that forged such a bond during the game all go their separate ways, never to see each other again. It was REALLY upsetting.

Surprisingly, there was another game I played that did a lot of the same things, but I ended up liking a lot more. Mostly, because the suicide was a SUPER defining moment for that character, and the ending left it open about if the heroes ever met up again afterward.

-
Sonic Chronicles (The RPG they made on the DS):
WHEEEE, run away from a collapsing vortex and back to your homeworld, to find that many years have passed, and the place has been taken over, and then SUDDEN CLIFFHANGER ENDING FTW!!!!

And then Tails goes "Whoa, I did not see that coming. I wonder what's gonna happen to us in the next game?" ...And there will never BE a next game, because the game REALLY sucked.

++
Movies:
-
Sucker Punch
....I was expecting a sad ending, but that ending made me go "WHAAAAAT?!". Basically, she got lobotomized. And then, the psychiatrist that was helping her was like "I really don't think this was needed", and the doctor goes "But...You signed the document for me to do it...See?", and then as the main antagonist of the movie is either about to rape/beat/whatever to the now comatose main character, cops bust in and arrest him.

Now...here's my issue. If the Psychiatrist's signature was needed for the lobotomy, then how did she not go "wait, I didn't sign for this" BEFORE the procedure? Then again, I'm mostly upset that all of that effort still landed the heroine a fate possibly worse than death, and it was so damn easily preventable. >: (

++
Anime:

-
Inuyasha. It was the first anime I ever really got into, and it....Ugh...
Ok, so the anime starts off GREAT. Then slowly starts to decrease in quality. And then, just when I was getting a bit bored of it, BAM. They hit you with a REALLY good story arc (the "band of 7" arc). And in it, they killed off a very important character, one of the love interests in the main love triangle that was going on. This made me go "Oh good. Now the hero can FINALLY move on and get over his dead girlfriend" (she had come back as a kind of undead near the beginning of the series).

Then, rather than going for the ending, they kept dragging the plot on and on and on...then they REVIVED the dead girlfriend as that undead-soul-vessel thing AGAIN, restoring the status quo of the love triangle. And then they had a decent set of episodes where it looked like they would kill the villain....and due to a VERY contrived plot device, he survives.

And then they dragged the plot on some more, and then in the last freakin episode, the dead-but-now-brought-back-AGAIN girl catches the villain's one weak spot (a baby containing his soul) being carried away by a sub-villain. The dead-girl then points her bow at it, saying "This is how it ends!"....GETS DISTRACTED BY ANOTHER SUB VILLAIN, and the other person carrying away the weak-spot-baby GOT AWAY.

Then, the heroes, having survived this weird ordeal that involved being eaten alive, and then cutting their way out, rest at the home-base-town, and go "Well, we ready to try again? ...Ok, let's go", and run off into the sunset.

......THERE. WAS. NO. FREAKIN. RESOLUTION! I watched that show for at least 3 years, even through all the low points, and then they don't even have the courtesy to END THE DAMN THING?! I was pissed.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DOOMGUY said:
I dont like. wait scratch that, I HATE any video game ending where your character or the badass dies becuase to me that is just a HUGE middle finger and to its just "I had to go through all that just to die anyways?" yea that annoys the balls off of me.also i didnt like the ending to I am Legend
Not every game is intended to be won. Sometimes, it's the experience that matters.

Though it's kind of funny in games where the hero dies, but you can get a game over from them dying earlier in the same title.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
I've only played the first two Professor Layton games and they're fun, but I hate their ending.

After seeing that servant guy get kidnapped by the old man (forget their names) with only a gear at the scene for a clue and come back perfectly fine, I jokingly thought "Hey! Maybe this guy is a robot! Haha! Hey! MAYBE THE WHOLE TOWN IS ROBOTS! HA HA HA--WHAT?! I WAS RIGHT?! WHAT THE HECK?!"

This one, I didn't guess at all. How could I have? Noxious gases that cause everyone in the city to have the exact same hallucination?! At least the robot town was somewhat plausible! This one is totally impossible! I can't accept this! And Don Paolo, how did you disguise yourself as Flora when you are so much larger than she?!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm going to have to go with Drakengard.

The game kind of gets all downer on you after like, then minutes, but the endings are both downer and BAD, and that can't stand.

And there are a lot of bad movies and games out there, but there's something special about the Butterfly Effect.

I thought the movie was stupid and pointless, but the ending made me think the people behind it felt the same way, too.

Both endings, really, because I saw the theatrical ending AFTER the intended ending.

Logiclul

Sep 18, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Apollo Justice's ending was bad, two piss easy presents and you win the trial?! Fuck you game...

And as for the jury decision at the end, why in the name of biscuits would i knowingly drop my win? There's Non Standard Game Overs and then there's "i'm gonna knowingly fuck myself over for no adequate reason HERP DERP!"

It's a good game don't get me wrong, but it's the worst of all the Ace Attorney games for sure.
You completely missed the point of the game ending in that fashion.

Anyway, I hated the Death Note ending as it had many plot holes and was simply awful. HOWEVER, if the series had ended at episode 25, it would have been perfect.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
I disliked the original ending of Fallout 3 because I used Fawkes and STILL got the "you're a douche because you didn't pull a Spock" panel. Fawkes is *immune* to radiation, I'm not. He flips the switch, everyone lives, I flip it, I die. Doesn't seem like a big problem to me, but noooo. If I don't do it myself, I'm a dick. :/

Also, Deus Ex HR was kinda blah for the endings.

Finally, Dead Island's ending and cut-scenes in general are kinda crappy.

A. I didn't even know who the hell this Charon guy was until we were on the chopper because the developers took the corresponding emails out of the game.

B. There's no way in hell anyone with half a brain would take that infected woman with them off the island.

C. I just faced down infected by the dozens, and an army's worth of soldiers with assault rifles, why the *hell* am I hesitating because this Ryder White guy has a gun pointed at me?

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Anime:

-
Ok, so the anime starts off GREAT. Then slowly starts to decrease in quality. And then, just when I was getting a bit bored of it, BAM. They hit you with a REALLY good story arc (the "band of 7" arc). And in it, they killed off a very important character, one of the love interests in the main love triangle that was going on. This made me go "Oh good. Now the hero can FINALLY move on and get over his dead girlfriend" (she had come back as a kind of undead near the beginning of the series).

Then, rather than going for the ending, they kept dragging the plot on and on and on...then they REVIVED the dead girlfriend as that undead-soul-vessel thing AGAIN, restoring the status quo of the love triangle. And then they had a decent set of episodes where it looked like they would kill the villain....and due to a VERY contrived plot device, he survives.

And then they dragged the plot on some more, and then in the last freakin episode, the dead-but-now-brought-back-AGAIN girl catches the villain's one weak spot (a baby containing his soul) being carried away by a sub-villain. The dead-girl then points her bow at it, saying "This is how it ends!"....GETS DISTRACTED BY ANOTHER SUB VILLAIN, and the other person carrying away the weak-spot-baby GOT AWAY.

Then, the heroes, having survived this weird ordeal that involved being eaten alive, and then cutting their way out, rest at the home-base-town, and go "Well, we ready to try again? ...Ok, let's go", and run off into the sunset.

......THERE. WAS. NO. FREAKIN. RESOLUTION! I watched that show for at least 3 years, even through all the low points, and then they don't even have the courtesy to END THE DAMN THING?! I was pissed.

Just an FYI, the series wasn't supposed to end there but it got canceled or something. They recently made the last 24 episodes (AFAIK they're only currently available in Japanese with english subtitles) which I enjoyed a lot. The last section is called "The Final Act" if you look for it.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Arkham City: Ras al Ghul should've been the final boss considering he was the mastermind behind everything. Clay Face would've been a nice second to last boss but once his role is revealed Joker could've taken a backseat to Ras al Ghul.

PilgrimScott_III

Sep 28, 2011
aegix drakan said:

Actually, in recent years, they did give a proper ending to the Inuyasha anime, with the Final Act episodes (26 in all). Yeah, they have a bit of a rushed feel to them, but they should at least offer you some closure. But I agree, back before those episodes were released, I was pretty annoyed with the lack of closure as well.

As for my own endings I didn't like, I'd have to say the conclusion to Avatar: The Last Airbender. Yeah, the main plot got wrapped up, but there were so many questions left unanswered.

EDIT: Crap, ninja'd.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Psykoma said:
aegix drakan said:
Anime:

-

Just an FYI, the series wasn't supposed to end there but it got canceled or something. They recently made the last 24 episodes (AFAIK they're only currently available in Japanese with english subtitles) which I enjoyed a lot. The last section is called "The Final Act" if you look for it.
I had heard that the writer got bored of writing the same story (My God, why would they get tired of writing Inuyasha for years?) and rather than actually write an ending, s/he just stopped to take a break from it. Which is a pretty pissy thing to do when you think about it. Though I have heard they finally finished it and it is actually good. Might look into it eventually.

StereoMike

Jul 13, 2010
Anything based on Stephen King that isn't The Shining or The Mist. Children of the Corn and It are the biggest offenders. Especially It. The malevolent force in the town is scary because it's never defined or given any discernible form, just represented by Pennywise the clown, but then he goes and ruins it all by having it take physical form, and that form is a giant spider. Then the main characters all kick it to death. This is not a way to end a movie that is all about tension and mystery.

I've never read either book so I don't know if the ending works a bit better there, but those movies were so good until the ridiculous endings. I'm reading the last book of the Dark Tower series right now, and I hope the ending isn't completely ridiculous, but I'm definitely expecting it to be.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
PilgrimScott_III said:
aegix drakan said:

Actually, in recent years, they did give a proper ending to the Inuyasha anime, with the Final Act episodes (26 in all). Yeah, they have a bit of a rushed feel to them, but they should at least offer you some closure. But I agree, back before those episodes were released, I was pretty annoyed with the lack of closure as well.

As for my own endings I didn't like, I'd have to say the conclusion to Avatar: The Last Airbender. Yeah, the main plot got wrapped up, but there were so many questions left unanswered.

Actually I kinda agree with Avatar. It was fine for the main plot, but I wanted to see Zuko's mom and it kinda seems like Zuko quit being Fire Lord in the final scene, though maybe he was just visiting his uncle and helping out with his tea shop (showing a much more humble character). I would have loved a small "And this is what happened to everyone in the end" summary during the credits. What happened to the Earth King? Last we saw he was apparently going on a journey to see the world. What about Azula? Was she simply imprisoned like her father? Was Jet really dead? Incidentally, I loved when they made fun of that in the episode about the play. And what about his friends? The members of the White Lotus? So many unanswered questions.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Saltyk said:
PilgrimScott_III said:
aegix drakan said:

Actually I kinda agree with Avatar. It was fine for the main plot, but I wanted to see Zuko's mom and it kinda seems like Zuko quit being Fire Lord in the final scene, though maybe he was just visiting his uncle and helping out with his tea shop (showing a much more humble character). I would have loved a small "And this is what happened to everyone in the end" summary during the credits. What happened to the Earth King? Last we saw he was apparently going on a journey to see the world. What about Azula? Was she simply imprisoned like her father? Was Jet really dead? Incidentally, I loved when they made fun of that in the episode about the play. And what about his friends? The members of the White Lotus? So many unanswered questions.
Ah, but you can bet that The Legend of Korra will be answering ALL of these questions. I had many of them as well. Betting there are going to be a lot of flashback episodes--like Avatar had--showing what happened to everyone and how things went down.

I did not care for the ending of Gears 3 or Resistance 3. Resistance 3's ending made me go, "Wait. That's it?" All the problems that the world has been facing for years, and all it takes is one man to magically fix everything when an entire army couldn't do it? I wanted an ending where whatever was attacking the Chimera finally made it's way to Earth, and then things would get even worse.
Gears 3 was a let down because of all the little hints that both the games and the books had been dropping over the years. Everything was pointing to some ground-breaking discovery that would shock everyone, humans and Locust, and instead...we got blah. There was so much more they could have done, and they even know it. Baird was still raising questions up to the last fight, and those questions were never answered.
Didn't really like the last two levels of Modern Warfare 3 either. It did wrap up nicely, but there are some loose ends that bother me, not the least of which is "Where did Frost go?"

0mn1p0t3ntg6y

Jan 30, 2011
The ending of Fallout: New Vegas. Just a cutscene for going through all that? Atleast let me run around and enjoy my victory.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Lost
Death Note
Evangelion
KOTOR 2

Are the four that immediately came to mind. Most horror movies end in disappointment when you consider the build up.

king_katchit

Mar 16, 2011
Pinkamena said:
What are you talking about. Portal 2s ending battle was fucking awesome. And how can you not love the turret choir?
Lilani said:
Care to explain? If you're going to criticize something you may as well give a reason why.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but I hated the ending.

(I'll be intentionally vague in case anyone still hasn't played it.)

During the final battle, when the roof opens, the first thing that came to mind was "Surely not, that's just daft...Oh, you are serious?" *Sigh*

Horses for courses and all that.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
gphjr14 said:
Arkham City: Ras al Ghul should've been the final boss considering he was the mastermind behind everything. Clay Face would've been a nice second to last boss but once his role is revealed Joker could've taken a backseat to Ras al Ghul.
Would ye mind putting that in spoiler tags plz? : / . As for myself I disliked Deus Ex HR's ending. Monologues euch : p

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Considering all the spoilers untagged so far and the title of the topic, I actually do mind.
:\