Environments that made you shed a tear

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
We have all come across very beautiful environments in games. Ones that make you take a step back and say 'Wow'. But has anyone come across a game environment that has made them shed a tear?

For me it would be the Crashed Frigate in Metroid Prime. Everything in it is so well done. The looks, the music, the way everything moves in the water, just blends together into one of the most perfect levels every made.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
I don't think I've ever actually shed a tear at the environments in a game, but the two main "Woah" moments I can remember..

First stepping foot into the main Hyrule area in Ocarina of Time. I'd never really played a 3d game with a big open section as a level, and it was really quite something. I was amazed at how long it took me to cross the field to hyrule castle, and seeing all the little things along the way.

The second being Mass Effec, the various planets you can land on with the Mako. Again, it was my first latest generation game with big environments that I can recall, plus I've always had a thing for Sci-Fi. The skies and terrain were really just amazing, the second one has some very nice looking planets as well, but there aren't any big, open areas to play around in sadly.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
made me very sad in Mass effect 2 (possible spoilers) when you visit the reckage site of the Normandy. :(

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Fallout 3 had nice ones, as did Iblivion if you found the right place.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
When the Sun rises or sets during Far Cry 2, its amazing that the game engine is from 2004 and it still holds up today as a marvel of programming, well done guys, superb work.

The first time I noticed the atomic bomb in the background of Multiplayer level Visari Hammer in KillZone 2 I was awestruck.

ninja555 said:
For me it would be the Crashed Frigate in Metroid Prime. Everything in it is so well done. The looks, the music, the way everything moves in the water, just blends together into one of the most perfect levels every made.
Just about every part of Metroid Prime made me stand back in awe, all the little details made a huge impact.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
When you first stepped outside of the Vault in fallout 3. It was like... woah.

Poofs

Nov 16, 2009
In Red Dead Redemption when you first climb up to the edge of a plateu and just look out i was awestruck

also in Oblivion when you first leave the sewers everything is just so open

Diet Chaos

Aug 21, 2009
Korten12 said:
made me very sad in Mass effect 2 (possible spoilers) when you visit the reckage site of the Normandy. :(
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There was something about Alchera's solemn, blue landscape that made it almost... tranquil, as if the Normandy's intrusion was something of minor impact. [Pun somewhat intended.]

EDIT: Also, if you haven't played the Overlord DLC for ME2, please do so now. The planet it takes place on is fantastic.

Also, although I haven't played it, Shadow of the Colossus had some gorgeous, sweeping landscapes that literally stretched for miles.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Oblivion,Fallout 3,The Legend of Dragoon,Farcry 2.
These games made me stop and admire their environments when I first beheld them.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
I recently went to the forest behind the house i lived at as a kid. It was developed and is now all polluted, and my favorite climbing tree, along with many others is now gone.

oh you mean in a game? nah.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Korten12 said:
It was kind of awesome seeing the Mako in an icy grave though...

Sep 14, 2009
probably ff13, in some areas it was so awesome and different, i stopped and did 360's for a while looking around at how in detail and how awesomely done the environment was (doesn't make up for the shit game (imo shit game))

Kud

I'm stuck because demonic spider
Sep 29, 2009
When you get off the train on Red Dead Redemption and you are going on your first horse ride, on your way to Fort Mercer.

Everything is perfect about that ride except for the chatter of your guide.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
ninja555 said:
We have all come across very beautiful environments in games. Ones that make you take a step back and say 'Wow'. But has anyone come across a game environment that has made them shed a tear?

The environment of The Void:
Apart that is my top game of all time, it should also have mention in atmosphere.

Darkgoosey666

Jul 18, 2010
In red dead redemption, i dont know how to do spoilers so i cant say anything but to those that have played it after the thing happens, and- nevermind i will go now and learn spoilers.