Epic: DLC Needed to Fight "Used Game Culture"

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
weker said:
El Luck said:
Or...you make a game that people wouldn't want to trade in.
El Luck said:
Yay more forced in multiplayers woot woot :D I know Jim had that big video about how people replay games, but I am sure there are more people that don't, which he failed to consider.
I don't tend to replay many games at all, excluding some with moral choice.
I would rather have this day one DLC (as long as it doesn't cost money when I buy the game, and also doesn't prove to be a crucial part of the game) then start forcing game styles on developers.
...Where did i mention forced multiplayer?

weker

May 27, 2009
El Luck said:
weker said:
El Luck said:
El Luck said:
Yay more forced in multiplayers woot woot :D I know Jim had that big video about how people replay games, but I am sure there are more people that don't, which he failed to consider.
I don't tend to replay many games at all, excluding some with moral choice.
I would rather have this day one DLC (as long as it doesn't cost money when I buy the game, and also doesn't prove to be a crucial part of the game) then start forcing game styles on developers.
...Where did i mention forced multiplayer?
You didn't, why do you ask?
"game that people wouldn't want to trade in" for the common consumer these are games that you don't trade in. Most single player games, unless their the likes of fallout get traded in super quick, as there is no reason to keep them.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
Fingers crossed that the book industry never figures out a way to do this.
Give it time, with books going digital more and more look for things like "bonus chapters" or something of the sort to crop up eventually.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Xanadu84 said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Xanadu84 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
You mean the culture of making games available to people who otherwise would never have bought them an thus has no effect on your bottom line whatsoever? THAT culture?
Do you honestly believe that the average consumer who would buy a game new, who comes into a store and sees that he can buy the exact same game for 10 bucks cheaper, would choose to pay 10 dollars more without any incentive whatsoever? If you do, I have a bridge to sell you.
If it is a game that I KNOW I want, I'll get it new so that I make sure the game is intact, manual is intact, and for that intoxicating new game smell.

If it is a game I THINK I might want, I'll get it used so if I don't like it, I'm not out $60. Return it, maybe throw it towards that new game coming out next month.
So you think publishers should bank a sizeable percentage of there earnings on almost all customers being very concerned with creased manuals, and them valuing that more then cold hard cash? You think that people who prefer the smell of plastic to money make up most of the market?
Well, if the game is still $60 8 months after release, and there are used copies on the shelf for $25 (Final Fantasy XIII, we're looking at you here) then maybe the parent company should try something fun like LOWERING THE NEW PRICE ONCE IN A WHILE. And not just for your annual black Friday or Labor Day sale.
Okay, but that's a separate issue. They lower the price and used game prices come down as well. Same loss. Besides, if you want a company to agree that it makes mathematical sense to lower their prices, they need to believe that they still make a good percentage per unit sold. Used games bring this percentage down, and encourage developers to keep prices high. Besides, the higher the volume of games are out their, the easier it is to support a secondhand market. More people who would think that 60 bucks is too much of a risk will spend a smaller amount and brave that risk, meaning more copies returned when the those individuals return the game. And people will return a game even if they like it.

Herr Uhl

Sep 25, 2010
They could offer the stuff you get from the collectors edition into the regular one. That would give physical stores more custom as well as making new copies more lucrative than used ones.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I agree with making Day one and preorder DLC over Online Pass. Online Passes are just stupidly executed.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
DLC Needed to Fight Used Game Culture
No. No it isn't. A better business model is needed to sell more launch games.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but has anyone noticed that the "used games" issue has only been a supposedly industry-threatening issue since the advent of nickel-and-dime DLC?

I'm getting sick of the companies and their bullshit. I'm also sick of all of the disinterested morons who think that all of this nonsense is a good idea.

The way the industry is headed, we'll be charged in gameplay per minutes with a connection fee. We as consumers are being ripped off in the name of higher profit margins. I realize that, as a business, profits are your desired result, but don't do it at the expense of your client base.

Then again, what I'm calling for is decency from a corporate culture and action from the most lazy people on earth.

We're all doomed.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's like they aren't even looking over and seeing Steam, a service that permalocks used games to an account, making a castle out of money because people don't mind not being able to sell their games back when they are able to buy them at an affordable price, or better yet, for several hats that they just picked up in an engaging and goofy game.

Wasted Frank

Jan 23, 2011
I actually agree with online passes, if they work the way I think they work. If you buy the game new an online pass comes with it, if you buy it used you have to buy an online pass for £10, what's wrong with that? Didn't the new Batman game do that with the Catwomen part?

By the way the price of games in shops is mainly dictated by the shop. Are they going to lower the price of the new game and only get half of the profit? or keep it expensive and get you to buy used.

weirdee

Apr 11, 2011
The dichotomy of that situation is broken when you look at steam sales and discover that most games' profits exceed what they were making in other markets despite being at a lower price, and that steam doesn't take full profit from used sales because they don't have any.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
weirdguy said:
It's like they aren't even looking over and seeing Steam, a service that permalocks used games to an account, making a castle out of money because people don't mind not being able to sell their games back when they are able to buy them at an affordable price, or better yet, for several hats that they just picked up in an engaging and goofy game.
Shush you. Your logic has no place in this discussion. Now if you excuse me I need to go figure out which DLC codes unlock the start menu of this game I just picked up.

weirdee

Apr 11, 2011
Console versions of skyrim don't use steamworks, right? Otherwise, it'd be impossible to sell a used copy back when the code is spent.

General_Tragg

May 25, 2011
Wasted Frank said:
I actually agree with online passes, if they work the way I think they work. If you buy the game new an online pass comes with it, if you buy it used you have to buy an online pass for £10, what's wrong with that? Didn't the new Batman game do that with the Catwomen part?

By the way the price of games in shops is mainly dictated by the shop. Are they going to lower the price of the new game and only get half of the profit? or keep it expensive and get you to buy used.
That is how it works, intrestingly though, because it's a generated code people have worked out how to generate them, and because they generate working codes there's a chance that that freshly package shiny new retail version you bought contains a code someone else already redeemed. Isn't it funderful!?

Additionally I was under the impression that DLC was the combat against used games. Admittedly most DLC is craptacular which is probably why it isn't working.

For those championing digital distribution, I don't know about the US, but here in Blighty the price of a new game is £49.99, it's just everyone except Argos sells them for £39.99. When you get to the playstation store however the price is £49.99, and they can maintain a higher price point for much longer than shops because they don't need to worry about getting rid of stock...

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Can someone please tell me where the hell developers and publishers get this idea that used games is somehow a personal insult to them? It's confounding to me where they get this attitude that they are somehow entitled to the money of a used game. You already got the money for the game sale you moron! You have no further say in what happens to the game once you sell it! Where the hell do they get the idea that they do? I can't think of any kind of product which works that way. And calling it a "culture", like it's come kind of rebel group on the fringes of society who are the only ones doing this, is just insane. What the hell are these guys smoking?

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
If it isn't one excuse for bad sales, it's another. Hell, just admit that maybe, just maybe, your games aren't quite as good as you really think they are. And maybe, just maybe, the economy sucks right now, and people have to cut back on their game buying in order to buy other things. Things like, ya know, food.