Epic losing large amounts of money on the EGS

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
????????????????

I thought Steam started in 2008-2010. I did nor realize it started this early.
Nah, Steam has been around a loooooong time, tho I'm guessing most of the early userbase actually jumped onboard for the release of Half-Life 2 in late 2004.

Or you played Counter-Strike and/or TFC. Then you got on earlier cuz all the old WON servers shut down and migrated to Steam. Like I did
Untitled.png

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nah, Steam has been around a loooooong time, tho I'm guessing most of the early userbase actually jumped onboard for the release of Half-Life 2 in late 2004.

Or you played Counter-Strike and/or TFC. Then you got on earlier cuz all the old WON servers shut down and migrated to Steam. Like I did
View attachment 3624
How did I not know about this? I did not learn of Steam until early 2008. I was at least 14 if we're talking summer or late 2003.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
????????????????

I thought Steam started in 2008-2010. I did nor realize it started this early.
I've been on it for 16 years, its wide launch was with Half Life 2 but there were earlier versions of it. I would assume for match making or something or just beta testing before Half Life 2.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
How did I not know about this? I did not learn of Steam until early 2008. I was at least 14 if we're talking summer or late 2003.
Probably because Steam as a platform didn't really take off until around 2007. Also because in its first few years, it sucked.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Probably because Steam as a platform didn't really take off until around 2007. Also because in its first few years, it sucked.
It wasn't till like 2007 2008 that bigger publishers started using steam as a distribution platform. Before then there were some indie games and such, but nothing big that wasn't released by Valve.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Epic should improve its storefront UI, and be more consumer-friendly if they want to do the Amazon approach.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

View attachment 3624
I dived in the day after my birthday in 2005. Jesus I feel so old looking at that. Which makes sense because that was when I started really getting into the LAN Faming scene. Before Broadband and XboxLive ruined everything :p

Reactions: Chimpzy

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Honestly I think Fortnite might actually be big enough for Epic to survive this in the long run. With how young some players are, I wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with EGS simply because it's what they're used to.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's around the first time I heard of it. That and the Orange Box made me install it to play the game(I think. Some valve game made me install Steam).

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That's around the first time I heard of it. That and the Orange Box made me install it to play the game(I think. Some valve game made me install Steam).
It probably would have been the Orange Box if it was around that time. Valve made it mandatory for their games with the release of Half Life 2.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It wasn't till like 2007 2008 that bigger publishers started using steam as a distribution platform. Before then there were some indie games and such, but nothing big that wasn't released by Valve.
Oh man, you probably know this too, but early Steam was godawful. First couple years it was pretty much a glorified downloader and matchmaking tool for Valve games. Not even a good one either. Next couple years were only marginally better. Servers frequently went down, buying games was a pain, no search function, no community features, slow download speeds, and so on. Basically none of the basic functionality we now take for granted was around yet.

In many ways EGS as a service is roughly at the level of functionality Steam had circa '06-'07. Except, you know, it's 2021. Then again, Epic have made it quite clear that user experience is not high on the list of priorities. Their tactic is more throwing money at publishers for free stuff and discounts, while hoping sunk cost starts kicking in for the userbase before the next big f2p megahit smashes the Fortnite piggybank.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Oh man, you probably know this too, but early Steam was godawful. First couple years it was pretty much a glorified downloader and matchmaking tool for Valve games. Not even a good one either. Next couple years were only marginally better. Servers frequently went down, buying games was a pain, no search function, no community features, slow download speeds, and so on. Basically none of the basic functionality we now take for granted was around yet.
Yeah, it was basically just Steam's own in-house publishing/distributing arm and platform. I played CS:S like crazy back then, so was on Steam a thoroughly unhealthy proportion of my free time - although I recall very few occasions I had many problems with it. You can say it was crummy compared to now (and of course in a sense it would be), but my perception at the time was that it was absolutely fine - contextually, of course, to what the internet generally was like in that era.

The main objection I recall people having was they didn't like Steam running in the background, suspicious of what it might be doing with their computer.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah, it was basically just Steam's own in-house publishing/distributing arm and platform. I played CS:S like crazy back then, so was on Steam a thoroughly unhealthy proportion of my free time - although I recall very few occasions I had many problems with it. You can say it was crummy compared to now (and of course in a sense it would be), but my perception at the time was that it was absolutely fine - contextually, of course, to what the internet generally was like in that era.
My memories of the early days weren't so rosy. Maybe I was just unlucky to be playing whenever things went on the fritz, but the first year or so was rough. Perhaps understandably so, digital distribution was in its infancy, after all.
The main objection I recall people having was they didn't like Steam running in the background, suspicious of what it might be doing with their computer.
Also, requiring an internet connection to play your games, and having to download everything. Broadband wasn't all that common yet back then.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

In many ways EGS as a service is roughly at the level of functionality Steam had circa '06-'07. Except, you know, it's 2021. Then again, Epic have made it quite clear that user experience is not high on the list of priorities. Their tactic is more throwing money at publishers for free stuff and discounts, while hoping sunk cost starts kicking in for the userbase before the next big f2p megahit smashes the Fortnite piggybank.
Well, to be fair, there wasn't much on the steam store in the early days either. It was really just a matchmaker/updater/drm scheme/chat program. You don't need much of a search when there are only like 10 games on your platform. And since then Valve has build almost an entire internet backbone for its users, its been a long time since a major new release caused a huge issue with their service.

Epic had all the warning in the world about what users expected and they still fucked things up. Plus the way they have handled this makes me very distrustful of them since it really does seem like they are trying to strong arm their way into the PC market and become the only place for games. With their whole buying up exclusives and purchasing developers and so on.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I joined Steam around 2008-9. If it ever goes out of business, I am out soooo many games (though in theory they will allow people to download and play off line: we'll see. Windows Lives games disappointed).
I joined Epic when I got $5 off of World War Z a year or 2 ago. I've bought a couple more games from them as I want to support them. Nice to have options and I've got a ton of free games from them. Some near new triple A games. Sad to read they are having troubles. A vibrant and competitive market is good for consumers.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I joined Steam around 2008-9. If it ever goes out of business, I am out soooo many games (though in theory they will allow people to download and play off line: we'll see. Windows Lives games disappointed).
I joined Epic when I got $5 off of World War Z a year or 2 ago. I've bought a couple more games from them as I want to support them. Nice to have options and I've got a ton of free games from them. Some near new triple A games. Sad to read they are having troubles. A vibrant and competitive market is good for consumers.
If you really want to support a "vibrant and competitive market" then support gog, not egs. Gog is the most consumer focused of the larger online stores and they are dedicated to not having DRM in their games. Egs is trying to force itself in to the market using monopolistic tactics, gog is trying to get more of the market by being consumer focused.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
If you really want to support a "vibrant and competitive market" then support gog, not egs. Gog is the most consumer focused of the larger online stores and they are dedicated to not having DRM in their games. Egs is trying to force itself in to the market using monopolistic tactics, gog is trying to get more of the market by being consumer focused.
Good to know. I will try to shop there some more. I have a few games from them that just don't work (Unless I do crazy stuff like shut off 1/2 the cores on my CPU... yikes!) but some do. And I've gotten a few free games there as well. Just have to be careful with what I buy.

EDIT: my current GOG library. Not particularly huge:
1619372706481.png

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Problem with GOG for me personally is its chock full of shit I'm just not interested in. This doesn't make it a bad service or platform - I do own stuff on it - but its my back up after Steam and Origin.