Erin and Hobbes #2

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Krantos said:
No.

No, No No No No.

See this is the problem I always have with people "Revisiting" classic cartoons. They always feel they have to make it darker. Like having Charlie Brown kill Lucy for pulling the ball away. Or Calvin's parents putting him on anti-psychotics.

The old strips' innocence is what made them good. Well, C&H was also good because of the way Calvin and Hobbes would tackle existential questions, but that's another story.

People using the characters like this is just stupid. It's basically saying "hurr, hurr, Hobbes is Swearing!"

The only time I've seen classic characters used well were those Bacon and Hobbes strips.

These Erin and Hobbes strips come across as the writers just saying "Hey LOOK! We're Using characters from another cartoon! Like Us because you like them! Do you like us yet?"

...then again, that's kind of what Crit Miss has been doing ever since Erin's hallucinations started. hmm...
I think your overthinking it. It's just a cute cartoon taking a shot at Xbox Live. it's not "corrupting" Calvin and Hobbes.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I never comment on these threads mostly because I don't read this comic. But I had to today.

Use Hobs properly or don't use him at all! Using such iconic character for a shock-value prop diminishes his value and your own work value. Don't do it, it is not fun, it is not funny

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Krantos said:
No.

No, No No No No.

See this is the problem I always have with people "Revisiting" classic cartoons. They always feel they have to make it darker. Like having Charlie Brown kill Lucy for pulling the ball away. Or Calvin's parents putting him on anti-psychotics.

The old strips' innocence is what made them good. Well, C&H was also good because of the way Calvin and Hobbes would tackle existential questions, but that's another story.

People using the characters like this is just stupid. It's basically saying "hurr, hurr, Hobbes is Swearing!"

The only time I've seen classic characters used well were those Bacon and Hobbes strips.

These Erin and Hobbes strips come across as the writers just saying "Hey LOOK! We're Using characters from another cartoon! Like Us because you like them! Do you like us yet?"

...then again, that's kind of what Crit Miss has been doing ever since Erin's hallucinations started. hmm...
To be fair, Hobbes has ALWAYS been the bad influence on Calvin. It's sorta the point. It isn't far off that Erin's bad influence would be a COD kiddie.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Observation 1: As sad as I am to see even someone's id-stuffed tiger corrupted by Xbox Live, at least he hasn't learned to be a racist homophobe in the process.

Observation 2: Am I the only one wondering what sort of problem-solving skills Calvin is learning from Kratos?

"I can't reach the cookie jar on top of the fridge. Therefore, I will gut my parents and use their bodies as a stepladder."

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
Susan Arendt said:
Wow. The amount of overreacting in this thread is fascinating.

*gets popcorn*
I know right! I can't stop reading these comments and keep coming back everyday to read more!

Also, will we be seeing another Calvin and Kratos?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sounds about right based on my experience with BOPs 2.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Well I know you guys wouldn't put out a comic that would get you sued, but it just dawned on me, between all the characters you use from popular games like Kratos and Zelda why aren't you being in danger of being sued?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Susan Arendt said:

*gets popcorn*
My thoughts exactly. I haven't seen so large a storm in so small a teacup since a child told some guy to pick a colour...

Is Hobbes the Nerd equivalent of the Prophet Mohammed or something? Is it heresy to draw him out of character or make fun of him in any way?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Scorpid said:
Well I know you guys wouldn't put out a comic that would get you sued, but it just dawned on me, between all the characters you use from popular games like Kratos and Zelda why aren't you being in danger of being sued?
Technically we're covered under the fair use doctrine on account of our work generally being parody. That wouldn't stop people from trying to sue us though, and if they did we wouldn't have the money to fight back. Really, the reason we don't get any legal threats or anything is because we're very small fish in a very large pond. The more popular you get, the bigger a target you become. See Penny Arcade and Strawberry Shortcake for an example of that.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Scorpid said:
Technically we're covered under the fair use doctrine on account of our work generally being parody. That wouldn't stop people from trying to sue us though, and if they did we wouldn't have the money to fight back. Really, the reason we don't get any legal threats or anything is because we're very small fish in a very large pond. The more popular you get, the bigger a target you become. See Penny Arcade and Strawberry Shortcake for an example of that.
Thanks! You know this is the 3rd time you've responded to me. So let me say thanks for being so active with your fans, you and Cory do great work. I always get at least a good laugh from your comics.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
On first thought I was a bit caught on the wrong foot too... BUT I think it is more about how Mr. Watterson handles his intellectual property he never gave away licences, never wanted to see Calvin and hobbes toys and is pretty shy to the public and his fans. So one will jump to the conclusion he won't approve of this either and defend his work against tresspassing. Also C&H are very loveable chrackters and you more you love someone the more you hate when something is done to them you do not agree with. I know there is rule 34 about C&H and I could not actually bring myself to activly search it because it would shatter my heart to see it. I do not agree with the use of how Hobbes as a charackter is depicted here but it is not that bad to get worked up about it.

If you come to think of it is actually a accurate display of Hobbes as a chrackter he always beat the shit out of Calvin when he insulted his "Tigerpride" and the point is there is a lot of insulting going on.
So sit back take a deep breath move on nothing horrible has happened.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
WTF, Stop ruining a classic character "just because you can". I dropped into CM because I saw hobbes, and I see you've set out to just ruin OTHER people's artwork. How is this even slightly related to your usual stuff?

Cory Rydell said:
I don't really want to do wrong by Watterson.

Oh really? What do you call this then?

I think Galactus has summed it up perfectly.

MrGalactus said:
This is a dagger straight to the childhood.

Stop doing what you're doing.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
People Need to chill the fuck out why are you getting so butthurt other this Its not ruining C&h for you

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Susan Arendt said:

*gets popcorn*
Make sure there's enough to go round! This could be a good 'un!

And I'm suprised Hobbes lasted 20 minutes. I consider myself relatively calm and Black Ops 2's multiplayer gets on my proverbials within about 10.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Never got into Calvin and Hobbs, so nearly everything about it is alien to me. Maybe a strip with P. Opus or Bill the Cat someday? Or am I really just a silly old fart?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Reduced_Silver said:
MrGalactus said:
This is a dagger straight to the childhood.

Stop doing what you're doing.
Seconded, with much vigour and sentiment.
Oh don't get your panties in a bunch you two.

I love Calvin and Hobbes, but I didn't really find this very offensive.
JRCB said:
It has the Calvin and Hobbes feel to it, but I think that Calvin would be more in line with what's happening in the comic.

Also, totally necroing an old link so I can spread Calvin and Halo.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/ch.html
That bit where Calvin pretends to be Captain Keyes was just gold. XD