Erin and Hobbes #2

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
WTF, Stop ruining a classic character "just because you can". I dropped into CM because I saw hobbes, and I see you've set out to just ruin OTHER people's artwork. How is this even slightly related to your usual stuff?

Cory Rydell said:
I don't really want to do wrong by Watterson.

Oh really? What do you call this then?

I think Galactus has summed it up perfectly.

MrGalactus said:
This is a dagger straight to the childhood.

Stop doing what you're doing.
How are you coming to that conclusion? He's taking a jab at xbox live saying its community is bad enough to make someone as calm as hobbes into a raging dumbass. They're not ruining anything.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Christ people chill out. I love calvin and hobbes grew up with them and i LOVE this strip people this is not something to be complaining about it's nothing. you want to know what will kill your childhood? robot chicken, but i still love that one too. except the one where buzz got turned into a bong and went retarded and woody had to kill him in his sleep. that one fucked me up.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Cory Rydell said:
Krantos said:
These Erin and Hobbes strips come across as the writers just saying "Hey LOOK! We're Using characters from another cartoon! Like Us because you like them! Do you like us yet?"

...then again, that's kind of what Crit Miss has been doing ever since Erin's hallucinations started. hmm...
Weve got another in the works that may change your mind, its going to be a mini arc.

I happen to be one of the (apparently few) vile and demented regular readers who enjoyed the previous hallucination arc. I'm looking forward to this next one.

Susan Arendt said:
Wow. The amount of overreacting in this thread is fascinating.

*gets popcorn*
"Fascinating" isn't the first word that came to my mind. There's a vibe here similar to the one some people made about George Lucas "ruining" their childhood...

By the way, Susan: Why did SnakeoilSage's post earn him a warning? Did what he said qualify as a direct insult to Grey?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Wow, people are getting really worked up over this?

I despise the phrase "First World problems", but it has never seemed more appropriate than right now.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Wow, I'm amazed at how many people are getting butthurt over this. Look, I love Calvin and Hobbes too, but like they say, "It's a parody, I should really just relax." ...Though people will probably still get butthurt anyway...

(Grabs some popcorn)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Never have I seen so many drama queens all getting their underpants twisted in one thread over something so trivial.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Nile McMorrow said:
Scrub Cannon? What on earth is that?
Hope noone else has already told you, but if someone has; Sorry for bugging you.

My guess is "Scrub Cannon" is another name for the "Noob Tube".

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Grey Carter said:
Scorpid said:
Well I know you guys wouldn't put out a comic that would get you sued, but it just dawned on me, between all the characters you use from popular games like Kratos and Zelda why aren't you being in danger of being sued?
Technically we're covered under the fair use doctrine on account of our work generally being parody. That wouldn't stop people from trying to sue us though, and if they did we wouldn't have the money to fight back. Really, the reason we don't get any legal threats or anything is because we're very small fish in a very large pond. The more popular you get, the bigger a target you become. See Penny Arcade and Strawberry Shortcake for an example of that.
o_0 The Strawberry Shortcake people sued Penny Arcade?!

>_> Hmmm...

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Susan Arendt said:
Wow. The amount of overreacting in this thread is fascinating.

*gets popcorn*
MiracleOfSound said:
Never have I seen so many drama queens all getting their underpants twisted in one thread over something so trivial.
What do you think the bigger factor is in this drama explosin? Hobbes, or COD?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Black Ops II corrupts absolutely.

EDIT: Correction: XBOX Live corrupts absolutely.
As evil as BlopsII is, it's tame compared to the holocaust of elitist bitching and blaming in League of Legends.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
canadamus_prime said:
Black Ops II corrupts absolutely.

EDIT: Correction: XBOX Live corrupts absolutely.
As evil as BlopsII is, it's tame compared to the holocaust of elitist bitching and blaming in League of Legends.
Apparently sportsmanship is a concept that's lost on most online gamers.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
The real question is "How Hobbe play a videogame if this doesn't exist?"

The answer of course is, "He doesn't, Erin did played"

And this is the reason why Hobbe act like that in this specific comics. Calvin saw Hobbe different cause he use his imagination.
The same goes for Erin.

My opinion of course cause in reality didn't read a lot of Calvin and Hobbes comics.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Aye, and what's scary, is that I can actually see the appeal in blaming someone else in the heat of the moment.
Especially for any team game where the team composition and performance REALLY matters.

I try my best not to, because getting pissed hampers ones judgment, and the problem just snowballs out of control when everyone on your team starts doing it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
canadamus_prime said:
Aye, and what's scary, is that I can actually see the appeal in blaming someone else in the heat of the moment.
Especially for any team game where the team composition and performance REALLY matters.

I try my best not to, because getting pissed hampers ones judgment, and the problem just snowballs out of control when everyone on your team starts doing it.
What I really have to shake my head at is when people make excuses as to why they lost. "Oh that character's overpowered", "HAX", "fucker campers," that sort of thing. If you (generic) were really had any skill worth mentioning you wouldn't have to make excuses as to why you lost. One thing's for sure, no one ever makes excuses for why they won. You don't hear the winners complaining about hax or overpowered characters or campers or whatever. It's only the losers who can't accept the fact that there just might be someone better than them. And that's what makes them truly losers in my mind.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
The comic was spot on. I only chat with my Xbox Live party and tend to shy away from chatting with the community at large playing the game (for the very same reason illustrated in the comic).

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
canadamus_prime said:

I was listening to a conversation on Live (I find them grimly amusing) where one guy claimed that raging, and bellowing obscenities is part of the "COD experience," and when I think about it, I kind of agree with him. It's probably part of why I enjoy the series, no matter how broken its various installments get (and BLOPSII is very broken), playing it with friends is basically an evening of beer, gaming and creative expletives.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
Grey Carter said:
Scorpid said:
Well I know you guys wouldn't put out a comic that would get you sued, but it just dawned on me, between all the characters you use from popular games like Kratos and Zelda why aren't you being in danger of being sued?
Technically we're covered under the fair use doctrine on account of our work generally being parody. That wouldn't stop people from trying to sue us though, and if they did we wouldn't have the money to fight back. Really, the reason we don't get any legal threats or anything is because we're very small fish in a very large pond. The more popular you get, the bigger a target you become. See Penny Arcade and Strawberry Shortcake for an example of that.
o_0 The Strawberry Shortcake people sued Penny Arcade?!

>_> Hmmm...
They threatened legal action if Penny Arcade didn't remove a strip. Fun for everybody.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Grey Carter said:
I was listening to a conversation on Live (I find them grimly amusing) where one guy claimed that raging, and bellowing obscenities is part of the "COD experience," and when I think about it, I kind of agree with him. It's probably part of why I enjoy the series, no matter how broken its various installments get (and BLOPSII is very broken), playing it with friends is basically an evening of beer, gaming and creative expletives.
I guess it's what you're looking for in an evening.
Personally, I put up with enough stressful nonsense and stupid crap that makes me facepalm in regular life.
Don't need my game time contributing to it.

Though I also believe there's a significant difference between the kind of jabbing vulgarity and "anger" you find among a casual night with friends and the kind that ends with a controller going through a TV.

canadamus_prime said:
What I really have to shake my head at is when people make excuses as to why they lost. "Oh that character's overpowered", "HAX", "fucker campers," that sort of thing. If you (generic) were really had any skill worth mentioning you wouldn't have to make excuses as to why you lost. One thing's for sure, no one ever makes excuses for why they won. You don't hear the winners complaining about hax or overpowered characters or campers or whatever. It's only the losers who can't accept the fact that there just might be someone better than them. And that's what makes them truly losers in my mind.
When I get lagged out, I blame my ISP, not the person who is winning (and having lived with 56k up until 2009, yes, that was a common occurrence). It's the net. Shit breaks, it lags. It's not infallible.

As for "cheap strategies", I can see anyone getting bored with them after a time (a lazy victory feels hollow), but if you're playing to win, identifying the dominant strategy is in fact, playing the game as intended. So anyone bringing "skill" into the argument is already shooting themselves in the foot.