Escape to the Movies: A Good Day to Die Hard

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I was sort of hoping for a Beautiful Creatures review, simply because the Twilight reviews were sort of entertaining. Everyone and their dog knows that any new Die Hard sequel is going to be total crap.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
The first I'd even heard of a new die hard movie was like... two weeks ago... and till today, I had forgotten about it.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Dear Movie Bob,

I've seen every one of those movies, save for Expendables 2 (first was an abortion, didn't wants to see a 2nd abortion of the same baby).
~
~
~
~
~
******SPOILERS!************:
To what happened during A Good Day to Die Hard: Kid McClain kills someone undercover, via Russian mob hit, to get close to known Russian bad-guy during trial to bust him out. Older McClain just went to Russia to get his son out of prison because he thought he was in trouble (didn't get memo it was CIA cover). Russian bad-guy was supposedly old partner to now-Russian political big shot, possibly running for Russian leader(not sure, confused on Russian politics), and is going to court to 'speak out' about him. Politics guy tries to kill Russian bad-guy in courthouse, but young McClain gets him out, older McClain gets in the way,...queue car chase. After chasing bad guys wreck car, good guys go to "safe house", where another CIA op and young McClain tell him deal is a file for bad-guy out of Russia (and daughter, now). Safe house compromised, explosions, shooting, escape, run to hotel under construction, to meet daughter and get key. Meet daughter of bad-guy, find that she's double crossing them (anyone with a brain saw this coming and figured she was the chick in the mask at the court house). More shooting, killing with a knife-gun (cool, by the way), and cowboy-boot bad guy escapes to queue the helicopter scene where it shoots building and McClains jump out of the window into a construction garbage shoot. Boring talk scene between McClains about childhood, giving up, give some plot information on file (which was about partnership between original Russian bad guy and politic guy in how they were stealing nuclear material from Chernobol and caused the meltdown). They head to Chernobol, bad guys already there and opening vault; political guy calls cowboy-boot guy and tells him to kill the daughter and father when they get file. Vault opens, find out it was filled with weapons grade plutonium, no file, and daughter double-crosses the people she was working with to then find that she was working for her father the whole time (a double-cross double-cross, with reverse criss cross twist...with me so far?). Apparently the whole thing about the file was a ruse to use the political guy to help the original Russian bad-guy escape with billions of euros worth of weapons grade plutonium; queue a hired masseuse strangling political guy. McClains show up, kill some guards, trap Russian bad-guy in vault as daughter comes back. Now there's a gun fight, a grenade explosion with gas leak for extra explosiony goodness, and for some random reason the father escapes to the roof...of all places. Young McClain chases to roof to have shootout there, old McClain jumps into the back of a moving helicopter to try to kill daughter there. Drives truck, chained to the helicopter, out of the back of it to make it spin everywhere while more shooting happens. Young McClain throws father off of roof, where he predictably lands into the tail of the helicopter and becomes a minced-meat pie. Daughter yells "Bastards! ... This is for papa" and flies helicopter into building to try to kill McClains. They jump into pool below and survive. Ending is them hugging with daughter-McClain at airport in US of A.

Overall, not a "BAD" movie, but still not as good as the last two.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Die Hard 5, Die so hard... that he didn't... again...

Oh, I watched the one with Jet-Lee in, and I thought it was so pitiful (making Jet looking like the honorable good guy who's ass kicking the stupid cops around)I skipped all the die hard that came after that...

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
So the third act of Die Hard 5 rips off the second act of Metal Gear Solid?

It would have been awesome if, in the second fight against the HIND, a blonde-mulleted Cam Clarke showed up and screamed, "EAT THIS!" For that, I would have paid nine bucks.

Aug 1, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Yeah, the overkill with the helicopter is pretty obvious from the trailers. I guess we shouldn't have gotten our hopes up...

*puts on sunglasses*

... in Hind sight
[image/]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m842k5BhWf1qh0jlr.jpg[/IMG]
Nice.

OT:
I'm one of those people who thought even the last one with the "MWAHAHAHAHA NO 401K FOR YOU!" bad guy was great, but even I have to agree with Bob on this.
This new one so utterly forgettable and uninteresting.

And for the record, I definitely agree with Bob's ranking. One's the best, but three is damn good.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I kind of get the feeling that Hollywood doesn't know how to do Action anymore... im still upset that 'Taken 2' sucked so hard.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Do people remember the broken glass scene in the first die hard? Where the bad guys realise JM is bare footed so they shoot out all the windows covering the floor with broken glass so he's trapped or has to run across the room slicing his feet to ribbons, which he does and in the next scene you see a floor covered in blood and John McClain in agony pulling glass out of his feet while smoking. And now we have him thrown from a helicopter through a glass window, fall through more glass celings and only get a graze.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
MovieBob said:
A Good Day to Die Hard

MovieBob can't quite remember what happens in Die Hard 5.

Watch Video
If I saw that, I could have saved myself 6 minutes of my life...

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Hudson Hawk! One of the best Bruce Willis movies of all time!
I think I saw all of those movies, except for The Whole Ten Yards that was not launched in Brazil and The Expendables 2, because I didn't want to spend ~10USD in that.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
Coming Summer 2015...

Autumn Hills Retirement Community faces its toughest challenge yet.

A senile NYPD detective who single handedly saved the world five times.

SHUT UP AND DIE HARD, ALREADY

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Zero Serenity said:
The numbers at the end are what order you have seen the movies in, right?
Nah they'll be the order of Die Hard films, best to worst. It is the only true order; any other is wrong - and I've not even seen 5!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Yeah, the overkill with the helicopter is pretty obvious from the trailers. I guess we shouldn't have gotten our hopes up...

*puts on sunglasses*

... in Hind sight

You know I don't handle puns well...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I thought this film was called "Live Free or Die Hard 2".

Oh well, it might as well be.

I'm curious if they ever plan on remaking "The Detective" and tying it into the Die Hard franchise as a prequel.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I don't understand, people actually liked the 4th one? Is bob implying that 4 was better than 5? I just don't agree.

And I don't buy the cheap sets thing. Yeah, alot of the movie takes place in derelict soviet warehouses, but modern Russia actually has tons derelict soviet warehouses lying around, and hot damn this movie gets them right, from the propaganda and soviet symbolism to the general architecture. I actually felt pangs of nostalgia watching it.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Damn, I think I have seen every previous Bruce Willis film. Curse this time of year and its lack of decent cinema!

Interestingly, this is the first Die Hard film that was actually written to be a Die Hard film. The first two were based on completely unrelated books--the first was 1968 film starring Frank Sinatra [http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/762646.Nothing_Lasts_Forever]. The third and fourth films were screenplays floating around Hollywood where they penciled in John McClane for the main character.

luvd1 said:
Do people remember the broken glass scene in the first die hard? Where the bad guys realise JM is bare footed so they shoot out all the windows covering the floor with broken glass so he's trapped or has to run across the room slicing his feet to ribbons, which he does and in the next scene you see a floor covered in blood and John McClain in agony pulling glass out of his feet while smoking. And now we have him thrown from a helicopter through a glass window, fall through more glass celings and only get a graze.
I was rewatching the series recently, and I pinpointed the moment John McClane changes from vulnerable everyman to invincible superman: Halfway through Die Hard With a Vengeance (i.e. III) he's shot forty feet into the air by a high pressure waterspout and lands on the side of a road with no injuries.

punipunipyo said:
Oh, I watched the one with Jet-Lee in, and I thought it was so pitiful (making Jet looking like the honorable good guy who's ass kicking the stupid cops around)I skipped all the die hard that came after that...
Jet Li wasn't in any of the Die Hard films. Were you thinking of Lethal Weapon 4?

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Its sad to see Bruce Willis still play in great movies (Looper) and still go for stupid cash outs like this. Die Hard should have DIED HARD a long time ago.