Escape to the Movies: After Earth

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
I just...I...I can't. I can't do it. I really can't. Even from the trailers, that was the flattest acting I've seen. It wasn't even Hayden Christensen. It was Will Smith! The Fresh Prince! Where was the guy from Wild Wild West? The hell?! I'm normally as emotionless as a Vulcan and this makes me want to ball my eyes out. I'll be in my trailer.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Django03 said:
Obviously they had to go with Cypher Raige because Edge Maverick had already been used in Star Ocean 4.
I hear they wanted to try out "Rex Power Colt" too but, yeah. Timing fail. XD

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Will Smith turned down Django? WILL SMITH TURNED DOWN DJANGO?? AND WENT WITH MR SHITMALAN??

You mean we could've seen Will play as Django instead of that other no-name guy (no disrespect to him, but I like Will).

And he chose to do a movie with SHITMALAN as director. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HIM???

WiseBass

Apr 29, 2011
I actually like a lot of Shymalan's movies. Signs is an atmospheric film with a great score and an interesting premise, even if the plot is swiss cheese. The Village has an interesting premise after the Reveal, even if the Reveal is so obvious that you spend the whole film waiting for it. Devil is a creepy, atmospheric film that's enjoyable to watch, even if the story and premise are stupid-simple.

But this sounds awful, like Last Airbender awful. What's tragic is I can see how with a tighter focus, this could have been a good movie. Drop most of the expedition and blather about Earth's back-story, drop the ridiculousness of the aliens Smith-Avatar has been fighting against with a magic metal sword, and just make it about the struggle of a young man to survive in a hostile, wild environment when he's spent his entire life living in a sanitized, advanced space colony. Make the whole "moving farther and farther away from a weakening, dying father on radio contact" a metaphor for adulthood, and how we move out of our parents' orbits as we grow older, and how we deal with their fading away into death.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
That's disappointing. I understand that Will Smith is trying to break his son into the movie business, but it's hard enough acting without having the additional baggage of playing the son of your father. Give him a different actor to be Dad, one he can view as a character, and I think it would be better.

P.S. Was anyone else completely unaware that Shyamalan was involved with this movie, despite seeing a dozen commercials?
Yes. I was genuinely surprised by this review as this is actually the first time I've heard Shyamalan's name mentioned in connection to this movie. They must have decided to really keep that on the down low (if not omit it altogether) given that I haven't seen it once on all the trailers I've seen be on tv, in the cinema or those fancy animated billboards we get nowadays.

MovieBob has done us a good service by pointing this out. Until now, I might have actually considered going to see this film. Close call.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
Shyamalan has made some bad movies and "Cypher Raige" is a stupid name that deserves to be made fun of. But I actually think this review would be better without Bob's fake crying and fake laughing. Both segments just kind of kill the momentum of the video and distract from the on point criticism I have come to expect from him.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
I donT think Shayamalan had much, if any creative input with this movie. This is clearly a Raige... I mean Smith vanity project.

But seriously... Cypher Raige? Anyone else reminded of the many names of David Ryder?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I'm sure my book project has that beat , try Lord of power or power lord(of which the emssary will not be called as such till book 2 >>) And for still in the works chapter 3 the antagonist is named Baron Von Molt'Tone... mmm now that I think its still not as bad as Cypher Raige LOL

http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/art/Zippy-Book-prolouge-77989827?q=gallery%3Azippydsmlee%2F1877368&qo=117

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I actually think Smith is more at fault here than Shyamalan. Seriously, the guy basically bought his son a movie and Smith has become infamous for demanding script control. The whole Django thing from what I understand is due to him not believing that Django was the main character solely because he didn't kill Calvin Candie (the "main bad guy")...which shows that he didn't get the script. Smith is just an egomaniac who's become better known for the piles of mediocrity he's starred in rather than the good stuff he's done.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Rex Powercolt = Awesome name.
Cypher Raige = Not awesome?
I personally like the name...has a ring to it.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I'm at the point where Bob is kind of the M. Night of movie critics to me. His reviews and opinions always start out promising, but ultimately in the end he's seldom right. Far too often I watch movies he rages on and find them to be not only serviceable, but refreshingly good. Or the opposite; films he gets a boner over, I've sat through and "meh'd" my way through losing several hours of my life. Now of course, he'll probably explain this strange occurrence in some elitist fashion where he explains that his years of sitting in a college classroom watching movies as if it was a legitimate field of actual higher educational studies on par with studying university physics or biochemistry, but I'm pretty confident that a sufficiently motivated person with a moderate amount of wit and writing talent could toss off movie reviews in a similar vein (or reviews on just about any pop-culture medium) and achieve a similar level of success. Frankly, I watch his videos because I find him amusing, not because I think he a.) knows anything about cinema that is on an academic level of interest to 90% of society and b.) has a solid history of being able to separate duds from magnificent works of cinematic art. I don't really consider myself a "popcorn" blockbuster audience member.. I'm fairly selective about the movies that I see, and highly critical of movies that fail to meet expectation. For example, I agree with Bob on Amazing Spider-man and how terrible that film was from start to end, albeit we didn't arrive to the same conclusion via the same route. I thought Garfield was a decent enough Peter, and the special effects weren't worse than anything I've seen on the Sci Fi channel. But the character, storyline, plot, and just about everything else... was garbage. On the other hand, Bob has bagged on films I thought were spectacular. Far too often, I find myself experiencing the latter, not the former.

That said, After Earth is a good movie. It's MUCH better than Bob gives it credit for. This movie to me falls into the same bin as Jack Reacher... I think people will pass on it, downplay it's quality, and ultimately ignore it in lieu of greater box office big budget offerings. And then they will see it later on DVD, and they will think it's a badass film that they jump on facebook to tell their friends how cool they thought it was. Unfortunately, by then it'll be too late and the ship will have sailed on any potential sequels, which I honestly believe this film deserves a second or third installation... the universe they've created just BEGS for further exploration, although I think what would be super smart is for them to create a TV Series based around Khitai... which would help Jaden grow as an actor and develop properly as opposed to just trying to help him flub his way through film after film chasing that elusive thing called "acting talent."

The one thing I do agree with Bob about is that this movie teases a lot and maybe that's the Shamalyan (sp) at play behind the camera, whom I'm going to also support as not that gawd-awful director he's been painted as. Avatar wasn't a bad film in the LEAST, and removing the craptastic ending, the happening was a tense film that had me on edge until the very last moment. Even Devilator (haha get it?) was pretty intense at parts, and I'll openly admit that riding in elevators is a bit unnerving for me now, just a teeny tiny bit.

Anyway, I would urge everyone to take a chance and go see this movie and decide for yourself. In the very least, you'll be moderately entertained for a couple of hours, no worse or better than if you had seen any other movie. But you might find yourself pleasantly surprised at how good this movie actually IS. And yes, Bob is right about one thing.. it DEFINITELY feels like it was originally penned as a VIDEO GAME rather than a film.. but I think that actually adds to the charm.. there were several parts I REALLY could envision this as a Naughty Dog game or Sucker Punch created adventure title in an open world setting or something akin to fall out or far cry. If it had been, After Earth would be a run away hit IP. Even the Cypher Raige thing would have been acceptably cool (I thought the name was funny, but appropriate given the tone and setting. You'll have to see the movie to understand why it isn't the gut-busting stupid name Bob made it out to be). If there is anyone with intelligence in the gaming division of these studios, SOMEONE will be immediately putting together a project to continue this universe in a next gen game.
But that aside, go see this movie, ignore Bob's rage and hate, and remember.. never let critics decide what is good for you.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
empirialtank said:
im sorry i can't get over the fact that the alien monsters can only find you if you're afraid of them?

that's even dumber than the signs aliens, or even killer pollen. what were the aliens going to do if humanity started using unmanned vehicles to fight them? or androids? or Buddhist monks? or soldiers on Prozac? or soldiers that have had lobotomies? or Space Marines? (they do not feel fear for they are fear incarnate)

Actually i kind of like the androids idea: In a world where monsters hunt us using our own emotions, man kind's last hope if a force of android guardians. But what will happen when one of those androids learns to love?

you could get that girl from twilight to play the android since she'll never have show any emotions anyway. throw in a Data style longing to be human sub plot, some outsider observations on the fallen state of humanity, emo meta commentary on how no one understands her and lots of fighting scenes and bam good movie.
Worse, without a sense of sight or smell, how the heck did these things get off a planet and wage war against humanity? How did they ever figure out there is anything beyond their own planet without looking up? Or create complex computer systems or chemical processes without sight?

Even if they did get up there unless they can sense fear over thousands of miles and through a pure vacuum, your not going to be able to defend yourself from any form of attack, or know where your going (unless they somehow came up with a radio system that can be read by touching it.)

Screw sending in the robots, you could simple fly in orbit and drop big piles of garbage on their planet till they are all DEAD.

DragonLordSerge

Mar 13, 2012
HyenaThePirate said:
I'm at the point where Bob is kind of the M. Night of movie critics to me. His reviews and opinions always start out promising, but ultimately in the end he's seldom right. Far too often I watch movies he rages on and find them to be not only serviceable, but refreshingly good. Or the opposite; films he gets a boner over, I've sat through and "meh'd" my way through losing several hours of my life. Now of course, he'll probably explain this strange occurrence in some elitist fashion where he explains that his years of sitting in a college classroom watching movies as if it was a legitimate field of actual higher educational studies on par with studying university physics or biochemistry, but I'm pretty confident that a sufficiently motivated person with a moderate amount of wit and writing talent could toss off movie reviews in a similar vein (or reviews on just about any pop-culture medium) and achieve a similar level of success. Frankly, I watch his videos because I find him amusing, not because I think he a.) knows anything about cinema that is on an academic level of interest to 90% of society and b.) has a solid history of being able to separate duds from magnificent works of cinematic art. I don't really consider myself a "popcorn" blockbuster audience member.. I'm fairly selective about the movies that I see, and highly critical of movies that fail to meet expectation. For example, I agree with Bob on Amazing Spider-man and how terrible that film was from start to end, albeit we didn't arrive to the same conclusion via the same route. I thought Garfield was a decent enough Peter, and the special effects weren't worse than anything I've seen on the Sci Fi channel. But the character, storyline, plot, and just about everything else... was garbage. On the other hand, Bob has bagged on films I thought were spectacular. Far too often, I find myself experiencing the latter, not the former.

That said, After Earth is a good movie. It's MUCH better than Bob gives it credit for. This movie to me falls into the same bin as Jack Reacher... I think people will pass on it, downplay it's quality, and ultimately ignore it in lieu of greater box office big budget offerings. And then they will see it later on DVD, and they will think it's a badass film that they jump on facebook to tell their friends how cool they thought it was. Unfortunately, by then it'll be too late and the ship will have sailed on any potential sequels, which I honestly believe this film deserves a second or third installation... the universe they've created just BEGS for further exploration, although I think what would be super smart is for them to create a TV Series based around Khitai... which would help Jaden grow as an actor and develop properly as opposed to just trying to help him flub his way through film after film chasing that elusive thing called "acting talent."

The one thing I do agree with Bob about is that this movie teases a lot and maybe that's the Shamalyan (sp) at play behind the camera, whom I'm going to also support as not that gawd-awful director he's been painted as. Avatar wasn't a bad film in the LEAST, and removing the craptastic ending, the happening was a tense film that had me on edge until the very last moment. Even Devilator (haha get it?) was pretty intense at parts, and I'll openly admit that riding in elevators is a bit unnerving for me now, just a teeny tiny bit.

Anyway, I would urge everyone to take a chance and go see this movie and decide for yourself. In the very least, you'll be moderately entertained for a couple of hours, no worse or better than if you had seen any other movie. But you might find yourself pleasantly surprised at how good this movie actually IS. And yes, Bob is right about one thing.. it DEFINITELY feels like it was originally penned as a VIDEO GAME rather than a film.. but I think that actually adds to the charm.. there were several parts I REALLY could envision this as a Naughty Dog game or Sucker Punch created adventure title in an open world setting or something akin to fall out or far cry. If it had been, After Earth would be a run away hit IP. Even the Cypher Raige thing would have been acceptably cool (I thought the name was funny, but appropriate given the tone and setting. You'll have to see the movie to understand why it isn't the gut-busting stupid name Bob made it out to be). If there is anyone with intelligence in the gaming division of these studios, SOMEONE will be immediately putting together a project to continue this universe in a next gen game.
But that aside, go see this movie, ignore Bob's rage and hate, and remember.. never let critics decide what is good for you.
After Earth was not a good movie i watched it at midnight release and i was completely disappointed in it will smith played the no fear general great but having the entire movie ride on jayden's shoulders was a bad call hes not a good actor and when he did try to act it was some what sad that said i like movie bob and i dont always follow his reviews but for a movie im not familiar with i would, like if i would have waited 24 hrs and would have seen his review i would not have seen it.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
pottyaboutpotter1 said:
Why am I not surprised? This movie sucks. What did we expect from M. Night Shylaman?
Maybe a twist which made the movie turn out to be good, sadly there was another twist and it came out as shit. Too many twists, go figure.

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
Gunjester said:
Context is important.

One is a name of a guy in a game poking fun at bad 80's action movies.
The other is a movie that takes itself seriously released in 2013.

Cypher Raige might have worked if it was like his stage name but his real name was like Bob or something.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Gunjester said:
The reason Rex's name works is because it's so stupid. It's an intentional PARODY of cheesy 80s flicks and videogames. After Earth is trying to do it straight-faced and comes off as the bigger joke.