Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Another Tim Burton crap-fest that all the emo douche bag wannabes will jump all over. Seriously, Nightmare Before Christmas was brilliant, then all the Twilight-esque fangirls jumped all over it and now I get a bad taste in my mouth If I so much as consider watching it.
That just seems stupid.

If you let a movie you enjoy become ruined by different people liking it, you're pretty much the ultimate poser... it confuses me.

SilentSh0tz

Feb 11, 2010
Eh.. it really is kind of the trend here though, Tim Burton really does appeal to those "oh I want to buy that and wear it as a shirt because i'm sooo trendy." Just fads in and fads out. Plus people are total Tools, and sometimes the whole Tool shed; so they kinda mindlessly follow Johnny Depp or Tim Burton; Wearing the clothes n'what not.

Dec 14, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Another Tim Burton crap-fest that all the emo douche bag wannabes will jump all over. Seriously, Nightmare Before Christmas was brilliant, then all the Twilight-esque fangirls jumped all over it and now I get a bad taste in my mouth If I so much as consider watching it.
That just seems stupid.

If you let a movie you enjoy become ruined by different people liking it, you're pretty much the ultimate poser... it confuses me.
Ok, maybe I'm just shallow. But I liked Nightmare Before Christmas back in 1996, when it was just a dark take on a christmas story. Then around 2003 I notice a lot of people are completely missing the point. "Aww man, did you see Nightmare Before Christmas, it so deep and meaningful."
It's kind of like Twilight, I don't like it, but that's just my opinion. It's when people start acting like it's the best piece of literature/best movie, ever devised by mankind. That's what ruins things for me. So maybe I just suck and I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does.

DocSun

Sep 3, 2009
You know I saw the movie last night and I am usually 100% behind MovieBob I am not here. I found it to be a decent if not well done followup to the original book work. Yes the book has little story, but this movies attempt to put a story on it does not diminish the fact that its well thought out, the number of tie ins to the book is incredible, and the "fight scene" that he says at the end of the movie, yes In retrospect the mad hatter with a claymore (not a broadsword) seems silly, but I think its important to see. It shows that everyone, from the doormouse to hatter, to tweedledum and tweedledee are willing to take up arms against an oppressor. The crowning moment in the fight is after the slaying of the Jabberwocky, the fact that both sides (minus the redqueen herself) drop their weapons, its an amazing moment when both sides realize... they shouldn't be fighting eachother.

Lastly, just as fun stuff, the Jabberwocky is actualy faithfully recreated to look like the art from the book, and the redqueen is totaly screwed up (especially when you see all the lopped off heads floating in her moat) definatly not a kids movie.

EnigmaHarper

Jul 22, 2009
dashiz94 said:
EnigmaHarper said:
Charlie is not his worst movie, though it is on the bottom. I wish to serve up a tasty tidbit called Planet of the Apes. What a horrible movie!

Wait, THE Planet of the Apes? That was a Tim Burton movie? Cause if it was, he struck gold with that. That movie was spectacular, I don't care what you say.
The most recent one with the Walberg was his. The original ones with Heston were not. The Burton remake was a complete load of crap and should've never been made. Why must someone remake a completely good movie?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
DocSun said:
You know I saw the movie last night and I am usually 100% behind MovieBob I am not here. I found it to be a decent if not well done followup to the original book work. Yes the book has little story, but this movies attempt to put a story on it does not diminish the fact that its well thought out, the number of tie ins to the book is incredible, and the "fight scene" that he says at the end of the movie, yes In retrospect the mad hatter with a claymore (not a broadsword) seems silly, but I think its important to see. It shows that everyone, from the doormouse to hatter, to tweedledum and tweedledee are willing to take up arms against an oppressor. The crowning moment in the fight is after the slaying of the Jabberwocky, the fact that both sides (minus the redqueen herself) drop their weapons, its an amazing moment when both sides realize... they shouldn't be fighting eachother.

Lastly, just as fun stuff, the Jabberwocky is actualy faithfully recreated to look like the art from the book, and the redqueen is totaly screwed up (especially when you see all the lopped off heads floating in her moat) definatly not a kids movie.
Arghhhhh it DOES have Tweedledee and Tweedledum as I thought from the review... *puts Burton's face on a dart board* DIE MONSTER, DIE!!

Through the Looking Glass, And What Alice Found There **is NOT** Alice in Wonderland ... they aren't even in the same bloody place!!! Grrrrrrrrrr *rages*

L.C is rolling in his grave ... groaning.

With all this talk of Jabberwocky, Red Queen and AND T-Dee and T-Dum ... why didn't he just make a movie of Through the Looking Glass?

And anybody that says neither book has a story is an idiot. That's like saying Gulliver's Travels wasn't an allegory commenting on the idiocy of European culture.

stok3r

Dec 23, 2009
What the shit?! What the SHIT!?!

MAAAAANN, a sequel? WHAT?

I was actually looking forward to see this movie, not because of Tim Burton (really, really don't like his stuff (except Coraline (okay except for the ending (GAYYYYY)) but that wasnt all him)) but because of Alice. I like the movie, really liked the Disney one with all its random crap (from what I can remember, its been ages), but to hear its been turned into a good vs evil deal? WHERE ALICE IS A VALKYRIE?? That is just pandering to the mainstream! GOD!

If he wanted to do a sequel, he shouldve done the looking glass. Hope he doesnt touch it now.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
Vanguard1219 said:
maninahat said:
gilgamesh32 said:
Wasn't the whole "Alice returns to wonderland, hell has broken loose" thing already done in a videogame? With a similar setup, similar visual style and the same villan? Or did I just dream that...
Yeah, that's a cult game. I heard there were supposed to be making a movie adaptation of just that. I guess this is what we got instead. They should have re-released that game.
True, but the movie adaptation of "American McGee's Alice" has had it's feet firmly planted in development hell for a decade now. If this is the closest thing I'm ever going to get to my adaptation of "Alice" I think I may die a little inside.
Last I had heard about that particular movie Sarah Michelle Gellar was being strongly looked at for the title role, and I think even cast for it. It's still in the works, but I don't expect it any time soon. Would love to see it though.

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
I went to see this in 3-D last night, and found it perfectly enjoyable. The story may have been slightly flimsy at points, but for the most part, it was a good adaptation. I enjoyed it, the forty years next to me enjoyed it, and the six year old behind me enjoyed it.
But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

PunchClockVillain

Oct 3, 2009
Given my view of Burton's work with existing titles (Planet of the Apes and Willy Wonka sucked, Batmans were meh) I was going to give this one a pass anyways. After hearing that its now Lord of the Alice in Narnia, I'm guessing I will not be messing on anything. Also: I'M LOOKING!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Meh, guess I'll stick with the Disney Cartoon then, but why is everyone ripping on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Is it simply because Depp doesn't act like a maniacal genius that makes candy and instead acts like a child at heart? I thought that that made more sense compared to the other guy, Mr. Wilder I believe, who should have been making space ships, not candy that turns you into a giant berry! Also, Depp looked more like a Willy Wonka then Mr. Wilder does, but then again, it is my opinion.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
uh ppl this is the sequel to alice in wonderland not the original movie or book. and THE MAD HATER HAS A FREAKIN BROAD SWORD!?!?!? ok i'm in.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
This is starting to look quite awful. But I have an opportunity to see it on a good deal ($7.50 for a 3D showing and a free popcorn! Fuck, that's like 1990 prices!) I'll go just to see why Phillips and Scott recommended it and to confirm that we have the same taste in movies, and watching other reviews might be a waste of time.

Bucketface

Mar 23, 2009
Just so people stop complaining that the movie is unfaithfull to the book.This movie is actually based on the book "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There" and not "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". Through the Looking-Glass is the sequel to the original by the same author. It adresses different themes one of the major ones being opposites. Here's a link that tells u all about it if it interestst you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Looking-Glass

damn.. looks like someone beat me to the punch..still some relevant info here tho

Droa

Aug 1, 2009
i thought the movie was brilliant,odder than it should hav been at times and i agree about the fight scene, but overall i loved it :) shame bob didnt

warmonkey

Dec 2, 2009
I've still not quite been able to figure out why Burton would not just take American McGee's Alice and make that, if he was just going to take American McGee's alice and make that but not really *wink wink, nudge nudge*.

It's the same story. Tim Burton played Alice, and thought "Hey, this would be awesome if, if like.. *I* did it! Heckyeah." But he's a decade late. And I think I like the story from the game better. Except that damned water level, with the ants and the leaves.

I really wish Tim Burton would go direct a movie that isn't just "Hey, what if I was the one who did that?". I really wish Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter‎ would go act in movies that weren't just Tim Burton's version of someone else's story. These movies aren't exactly.. well, I have a hard time calling them outright bad, but they're not good. They can make good movies. Please. Go do so. Make a different movie. Play a different character. We'll still like you.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
wolf_isthebest said:
From what cartoon is the guy with the sword in the right of the screen at 1:57 ?
Blackstar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstar_(TV_series)

In his cartoon/action-figure montage MovieBob also showed the following:

...I was 10 when Blackstar came out, I recall liking it quite a bit though I haven't seen it since (though it's apparently out on DVD (and Netflix has it!); could make for a fun sci-fi action flick. Hollywood, didja get that?

On-Topic: Despite MovieBob's review here (and the plethora of nay-sayers who say it's shit without actually having seen it) I'm planning on seeing it, possibly tomorrow or later next week on a day off. I'll probably see it in 3D, too, as it's supposed to have the "TRON: Legacy" trailer attached to it (did anyone see it?). I'm not expecting Burton's Alice to be the most amazing cinema ever but I feel I'll at least be entertained. Same argument I made for Bay's Transformers films (which is another series of arguments somewhere around the Forum.) I'll see a matinee and I'm sure I'll at least get my money's worth; might even spring for some Jujubes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujube_(confectionery)].

Dear MovieBob, If nearly 30 years of playing D&D has taught me nothing else, it's spelled "vorpal sword [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorpal_sword_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#Weapons_and_armor]". Not being snarky, just saying. <3 TH