Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Skeleon said:
Huh, as I actually like his take on Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, I might like this movie too, I guess.
I liked it myself. Faithful and unique at the same time, though Tim should break off his Johnny Depp dependancy.

wolfenflautist

Sep 26, 2010
I find it interesting at how many people base their opinions on a movie because of what a critic says. Make your own opinions, people! Don't let someone else define it for you.

Anyway, I've seen this movie....how many times, now? It's a great film that's not only artistically wonderful but also has a great cast. True, Mia was a bit bland in the beginning, but she got better as it progressed. I've not read the book or seen the other Disney version in quite some time (if at all). Bob has his opinion about it, and he's entitled to it. To say the least, it's just a movie of great fun that, however dark it may seem and the Jabberwocky fight scene being a little much for the younglings, people of all ages can enjoy it. For me, it's one of my favorite Burton films, along with Sweeney Todd and Sleepy Hollow.

Mr_Jellyfish

Jan 11, 2011
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory his worst movie? I dunno, it's pretty bad but... What about Planet of the Apes? Or Sweeney Todd, where we were expected to believe the actors could actually sing? Burton has let me down a lot lately, even Corpse Bride just proved how much better Henry Selick was at that sort of thing. I'm hoping he makes a film closer to Ed Wood in the future, now that was awesome

Xirema

Nov 12, 2010
I actually really liked the movie when i saw it, but my only real frame of reference was the Disney Animated version of Alice in Wonderland, (I've only read bits and pieces of the book) so the entire thing felt like it was taking a piss on the Disney version.

Plus, no matter the context, an amazon warrior is always going to look cool to me, for reasons I don't think I'll ever be able to answer in mixed company. =D

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
You know, everyone goes on about the drugs and whatnot. Carrol had logistician friends. So, he always set out to make worlds and works and poems that make no real-world logical sense. Plus, everyone was on drugs at that day and age by virtue of just living in that day and age. However, my explanation is ultimately boring, so let's read drugs into it.