Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

Resin213

Jan 22, 2009
Seems pretty spot on with the review, although the delivery seems like Bob really wants to be Yahtzee.
Just saying

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
GothmogII said:
TheRealCJ said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob
Ah, but you have to remember: The Nightmare Before Christmas belongs to Tim Burton in name only.

He had the vauge, basic original idea, but beyond that, he didn't write it or direct it. Despite the creepy fanboyism that exists for the movie, it's actually one of the better non-Disney* children's films out there.

*Yes, I know it's Disney NOW, but it was originally released by Touchstone, because Disney proper thought that it wasn't keeping in line with it's other children's films at the time, take what you will from that.
Yup, like how the original Tron was Touchstone too but the sequal's got the Disney logo glued to it.

Edit: What am I thinking? Tron was Buena Vista, heh. Still Disney though, humm.
The people that I know who saw it were raving about it. In a good way. :p but i suppose it's a matter of taste.

Also, to Gothmog: is your avatar from what i think it's from?

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
movie-bob... i disagree.
i think it is a nice movie that is based up on the original, but tells a story about a girl who has to make a hard decision.
but instead of thinking it over , she escapes into her childhood perfect-fun-world.
but if you look close enough, you might see the connection between wonderland and the real world.
most of it gets solved at the end.
by the way, those people sitting behind me (in cinema) were thinking about what they could eat when the credits started.
i hate them, because they did not even understand the movie.
it is a movie about fantasy, and i think fighting your own fear in order not to do something you do not want to do, but everybody expects you to.
(is that grammar correct?)
alice lives in a world with absolute maners where you have to follow a lot of rules, even if you do not want to.
and at one very important point , where she has to make a hard decision she flees/escapes into her childhood-dream / imaginary world with no rules at all.
everything is not impossible.
it might be more action filled and different from the alice-book, but it makes sense, because "Alice" in the movie is not the same "Alice" she was in the book, she is much older in the movie , and this time she has to fight her own fear in form of her childhood-nightmare, while looking at her situation from the perspective of her inner child .
everything in "WONDERLAND" represents something in her reality.

i think that 's enough.
if you like "johny depp" or that girl from "plötzlich prinzessin" or "alice" the book / cartoon = watch the movie!
and if you rely one anybodys oppinion, who tells you "the film is crap" , don't see the movie!!
not even on Dvd nor internet via illegal download!
whitch is by the way "ILLEGAL"!
in case you didn't know.

have a nice life as long as you live.
byé

Bananajoy

Jan 18, 2010
Lmao at the intro. XD Look at me! LOOK AT MEEEE!

Seems like all the critics hate the movie, but everyone else loves it. :p
Personally, I thought it was great. A little too much Mad Hatter and not enough Chesire(sp?) Cat but the rest of the movie was pretty enjoyable.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
Wow, for once MovieBob doesn't know his facts. Of course it seems like a vast majority of people don't that he's wrong either.

This book is NOT based off of Alice in Wonderland, it only happens to have the same title from the same series of books. It's based off of Through the Looking-Glass. Thus one of MovieBob's rants about the Red Queen being the Queen of Hearts isn't right because in the book she IS the Red Queen. And the fact that the book is taking place on a giant chess board and there is a fight going on between the White Queen and the Red Queen in which Alice takes part in.

I didn't think the movie was 'ubertacular,' but I did find it entertaining and I think that is what truly counts.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
FrossetMareritt said:
Wow, for once MovieBob doesn't know his facts. Of course it seems like a vast majority of people don't that he's wrong either.

This book is NOT based off of Alice in Wonderland, it only happens to have the same title from the same series of books. It's based off of Through the Looking-Glass. Thus one of MovieBob's rants about the Red Queen being the Queen of Hearts isn't right because in the book she IS the Red Queen. And the fact that the book is taking place on a giant chess board and there is a fight going on between the White Queen and the Red Queen in which Alice takes part in.

I didn't think the movie was 'ubertacular,' but I did find it entertaining and I think that is what truly counts.
I'm aware of "Looking Glass," but this particular movie isn't based on much of it other than incorporating the chessboard at the end and having the Red and White queens. And even still, this version is CALLED "Red Queen," but in personality and basic setup she's been "combined" with the Queen of Hearts - i.e. the playing-card soldiers, "off with their heads!," etc. She also does the "animals as sports equipment bit, and we see her and Younger Alice painting the roses red in flashbacks.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Once again, A brilliant review by ole Bob. It didn't surprise me that it's awful, it's pretty much everything I imagined it would be.
I have to say I actually prefer Escape to the Movies with: to Zero Punctuation. I know they're two completely different things, but Bob doesn't just slander something because it's popular.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Resin213 said:
Seems pretty spot on with the review, although the delivery seems like Bob really wants to be Yahtzee.
Just saying
He's always that astute and to the point in every review. If you've seen any of his other reviews you'd know this is nothing new.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Benjeezy said:
GothmogII said:
TheRealCJ said:
Aura Guardian said:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob
Ah, but you have to remember: The Nightmare Before Christmas belongs to Tim Burton in name only.

He had the vauge, basic original idea, but beyond that, he didn't write it or direct it. Despite the creepy fanboyism that exists for the movie, it's actually one of the better non-Disney* children's films out there.

*Yes, I know it's Disney NOW, but it was originally released by Touchstone, because Disney proper thought that it wasn't keeping in line with it's other children's films at the time, take what you will from that.
Yup, like how the original Tron was Touchstone too but the sequal's got the Disney logo glued to it.

Edit: What am I thinking? Tron was Buena Vista, heh. Still Disney though, humm.
The people that I know who saw it were raving about it. In a good way. :p but i suppose it's a matter of taste.

Also, to Gothmog: is your avatar from what i think it's from?
Well, I just saw it last night. It was, as I recalled right then, pretty. Vapid of course, but pretty. Reminded me a lot in tone of American McGee's Alice though obviously with the violence turned down to almost nil. I don't know, I this is the only adaptation of Through the Looking Glass I've seen so I've nothing to compare it to, but, it doesn't hold up well for me.

It's also a little odd that Burton's one is called Alice in Wonderland at all since it bears little relation beyond a few scenes and references to the original book, leaning more towards as mentioned above Through the Looking Glass.

Only huge dissapointment was the Jabberwock. You give it Christopher Lee's voice and have the audacity to:
cut off it's tongue in the first minute or so of metting him
!! What a waste of Mr.Lee.

(As for the avatar, yup, yer gazing on Satan. (Possibly no relation.))

Sebass

Jul 13, 2009
I haven't seen the movie yet, I will tonight, but I can't understand all this "It deviates from the book ! Burn it!" sentiment. As I understand it, it's a reinterpretation of Wonderland, I image that it's supposed be unlike the book or else it would be a mere uninspired remake.

Now I haven't seen the movie yet, so it might also be dissapoiting in it's own right, but citing the different approach as something bad .. ?

And yeah this is the first time I've listened to MovieBob and it really felt like an attempt to mimic Yatzhee's style. I did laugh hard with the "Because the good guy always needs a magic sword and a destiny line", that's just so damn true :)

It's also a little odd that Burton's one is called Alice in Wonderland at all since it bears little relation beyond a few scenes and references to the original book, leaning more towards as mentioned above Through the Looking Glass.
The title 'Alice in Wonderland' is much more known than 'Through the looking glass'. It's pretty logical from a commercial point of view.

Emptaze

Sep 22, 2009
Too bad he's so negative, because it actually is a great movie. The digital 3D doesn't really ad much to the movie, but it's worth the extra few bucks.
The original Alice in Wonderland also was about Alice being pushed around, so I don't know why it's such a big thing now, since the entire thing is about her thinking she's in a dream, and more or less waiting it out.

Mythbhavd

May 1, 2008
I've absolutely despised the story Alice in Wonderland, so it's really no surprise to me that this one was no better than the book or the Disney movie.

Sebass

Jul 13, 2009
Just came back from seeing it:

It was okay. That's all I can say about it really. Not good, not bad, just okay. It looked very very pretty, but the atmosphere I was expecting wasn't really there. Perhaps because the movie felt so hasty, like it was a quick recap .. I can't properly translate it into words :p

The ending sucked though.

TETSUOrocks

Oct 20, 2009
I enjoyed it. Didn't resemble the origonal story much except for the characters. I think the whole war thing made me think a bit too much of Narnia which doesn't exactly fit in with the Alice in Wonderland universe. Here's hoping the next Tim Burton movie will be much better.

Oh yeah.. friends of mine where complaining that the Break Dancing was awkward. It was a bit odd.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Just popping in to say thank you, Movie Bob, for saving me the money I would've spent on this movie, and the frustration of finding out too late that it's yet another Hollywood bastardization of a book classic.

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
I blame disney, simple as.
Tim Burton's done some good stuff, but anything in that film that reminds you it's a kids movie is a reminder of the shit parts.
Also, undeniably a shoe-in for best costume design for next years oscars?

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Aura Guardian said:
I love it when people make dogmatic assumptions.
At any rate, the general consensus seems to imply that the action climax is unwarranted.
When I've seen it myself, I'll form my opinion.

- Sweeney Todd, by the way, was Burton's most drab and uninspired film to date.
^this^

RaineHero

Mar 19, 2010
So in other words it's a crappy adaptation of the American McGee game only the Mad Hatter is a good guy instead of a demented clockwork doctor?

EDIT: Oh, and kid friendly. I wouldn't show that game to anyone under 15 >>'

Claude_Raines

Dec 26, 2008
I got upgraded from a 2-D presentation to a 3-D one when I saw it. First time in my life I'd have rather not been given 'better' treatment. The movie was disappointing, but watchable, plus the half baked 3-D kept pulling me away from any level of immersion.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
i watched this in the theaters yesterday, and i thought it was fun. ya, the end action scene felt kind of out of place, but i really liked all the characters and acting and the film looks gorgeous, which makes up for a lot of the bad bits, for me anyway.