Escape to the Movies: Avengers

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Yes!
For the first minute or so I was SO waiting for Bob to go "...and unfortunately it sucks...".

Yay.

And just to throw in my two cents, I thought the best Super Hero flicks were: Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Captain America, Watchmen and X-Men: First Class.

Sep 14, 2009
Orange Monkey said:
Being European and feeling so good about getting The Avengers before a lot of people.
Then feeling bad that I didn't get the extra scene, and my friends and I waited till the entire End Credits and everything.

*insert america is the best obligatory nationalistic pride here*

MERICA. HUHHH YEAH.

(just kidding in case you didn't notice, it is quite odd that they didn't include the scene for everyone? idk why they'd do that...)

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
Thank god this movie came out before I died, I've been anxiously waiting since it was first hinted at.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Fantastic, incredibly satisfying movie. My only complaint (since there must be one, so I have something to look forward to) is the rather out-of-character treatment of Pepper Potts. It's good that, like Portman, she gets a bit of a "nod," but it just doesn't feel like Pepper. Relegated to the cut-off-shorts-wearing-dutiful-girlfriend role?

But, oh man, the "big" showdown? How can such a quick scene be so intensely satisfying?

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
okay i recognized three of the four hero's bob threw in at the end, doctor strange, black panther, ant man; but who the heck was the fourth one?

I know he's the marvel aqua man rip off, but who is he really? Can we get a big picture episode on this?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'll be seeing this one next week when I back home. I promised my GF I would wait until we're back together before I went to see it and she assures me she'll wait as well because dammit, that's what true love is! Sadly I think a couple of details were spoiled for me but it's fine...what's two or three details in a 2.5 hour long film?

Also, is this one full to the brim with little details nerds may pick up on? Like, at any point do we see a fallen alien-robot-whatsits drop a weapon at the feet of a large, trench-coat wearing man-in-black who picks it up and walks into the shadows? Or a black and, asian pair of guys who crack their knuckles as shit begins to go down and run off towards the action? Anything like that?

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Looks like Loki is going to take one of Hawkeye's arrows to the knee...

OT, I figured this would be a gushing review, this movie looks terrific. Robert Downy Jr's lines alone look superb.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
In regards to the mid credit "HOLY CRAP" scene as Bob puts it, let's just say a much older video on the Avengers film was technically correct. *wink*

Having already seen it in the UK (this in advance) it really is a great piece of film purely for being the most fun of all recent superhero films.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
So who did the Aliens turn out to be? (If they are a new thing don't be specific)

empirialtank said:
okay i recognized three of the four hero's bob threw in at the end, doctor strange, black panther, ant man; but who the heck was the fourth one?

I know he's the marvel aqua man rip off, but who is he really? Can we get a big picture episode on this?
Namor, Marvel and DC both have an Atlantis so he is the equivalent of Aquaman.
I've only seen him appear in F4 and really old Spiderman so I don't know if he has his own series.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
As incredible as the film was, I'm surprised that neither Bob nor anyone else so far as mentioned how terrible the 3D conversion was. I still had a great time at the US Premier last night, but I think I'm permanently turned off of 3D movies now.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
JaredXE said:
Scarlet's ass in 3D
it was a great money shot :p LOL

I'm from México and we have the mid credits scene but not the last scene "stinger" joke Movie Bob wrote about :(

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I had half-expected Moviebob to gush about this film, afterall it's stuffed full of stuff just for the fans of the comics. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid 7/10 film with superb moments (favourites involve Phil, Loki, infighting and all Iron man and Thor quips), but it has flaws.

As Moviebob said the story is secondary and slim. The opening leaves you feeling you've missed a film and is taken a little too seriously for all the silliness involves. Loki's CGI army has no backstory, a stupid forgettable name, and just show-up as faceless goons to fight. How they're dealt with is a plot contrivance followed by a magical killswitch that left me with the impression they had forgotten the army weren't robots.

Also, the extended action scenes get a bit physically exhausting after a while, but that may just be watching it in 3D.

The worst scene was Loki making people bow before him (kneel before Zod, etc) and one old man with a stereotypical Jewish accent disobeys him. Captain American then shows up and compares Loki to...well if you can't guess where this is going already, here's a clue: the scene is set in germany. -_-

It's testament to how good the film is that the main storyline could be so bad, but not detract that much...

EDIT: Did anyone ever say 'Hawkeye'. I heard a 'Hawk' and his regular name, but it seemed like it assumed you knew already...

Battle Catman

Jan 3, 2011
empirialtank said:

Namor the Sub-Mariner first appeared in 1939; Aquaman showed up in 1941.

I'm not saying Aquaman ripped off Namor, but Namor was technically "first."

Battle Catman

Jan 3, 2011
Dastardly said:
Relegated to the cut-off-shorts-wearing-dutiful-girlfriend role?
And if it weren't clear enough this is a Joss Whedon production, in two of her three scenes Pepper is barefoot.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Battle Catman said:
Dastardly said:
Relegated to the cut-off-shorts-wearing-dutiful-girlfriend role?
And if it weren't clear enough this is a Joss Whedon production, in two of her three scenes Pepper is barefoot.
But that's what I mean -- it's out-of-character for Whedon to turn a female character into "the girlfriend."

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Really curious about how the characters from Buffy were relatable... Suppose that's subjective and I shouldn't begrudge him for liking Joss Whedon.

Feb 28, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Me and my fiancee are gonna sit down, watch 'em all, then go see The Avengers.
Thoroughly support this. Managed to watch Captain America the day before The Avengers, and it was just so good to be able to have that continuity in my mind as I sat down to watch it.

Absolutely great movie. If not the best, then certainly the most fun superhero film ever. It's great for the entire genre that they got this right (hopefully it might prompt DC to get their shit together and plan for a Justice League Movie in about 2028 ... ).

But a few things that bothered me: what the heck happened to the whole "Loki is going to control The Hulk with his sceptre" thing? Isn't that the entire reason he was aboard the floating carrier? Kind of got swept under the carpet.