Escape to the Movies: Avengers

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Just came back from seeing it for the second time (I'm from the UK) and I loved it every bit as much as the first time round. Pure, unbridled joy, and I cannot wait for Thor 2 next year XD

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
When I watched it, I thought it was brilliant. Though it did make a few mistakes, but like Bob said, that is nitpicking. But there is one which I think he chose to neglect: there is a Transformer-esque feel to the action, only with actual characters and drama to back it up.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed that this film is turning out to be good, at least according to the concensus. I was hoping for a mediocre, anti-climactic movie, just to see how furious Bob would have gotten. Guess I'll just have to watch a good super hero movie instead. Win win.

That said, I still disagree with Bob about the significance of Avengers. We've seen super hero gangs before. We've seen plenty of X-men movies, and fantastic 4 movies. And the Incredibles. And Watchmen. This is no different. The fact that these characters have each had their own movie is no different either - they were just super hero movies, no more significant than that Wolverine movie was to the X-men franchise. It was this kind of exaggeration that led me to hope it would suck.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
maninahat said:
I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed that this film is turning out to be good, at least according to the concensus. I was hoping for a mediocre, anti-climactic movie, just to see how furious Bob would have gotten. Guess I'll just have to watch a good super hero movie instead. Win win.
Wow. How... pointlessly dickish of you.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
So, I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time. A long ass time.
But I have a major exam next wednesday, one that I had to spend 1k dollars on (between the exam fee and lost from unpaid time off work).
I know from my past (LOTR) that if I don't see this movie, I'll be anxious about it, but if I do see it, I'll obsess about it for weeks and bomb this exam so damn bad.

But at the same time, I'm anxious for avoiding all spoilers (it'll be difficult >.>), so I'm wondering if anything that would diminish any surprise or event of the movie not in the trailers are in this review that would cause me to declare a blood feud against bob?

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
To quote the bard for my take on the Avengers: "It is a tale...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I liked it fine, but it just goes to show that all the set pieces, big names, good CGI and fight scenes in the world wont make up for a lack of a memorable story or message. I'm not asking for a morality play here, but after the 'wow they remembered that that thing happened in the comics or previous movies' I do want something more to think about once the movie's over than 'big guy boom badow'.

Star Wars: A New Hope, this is not.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
omegawyrm said:
maninahat said:
Wow. How... pointlessly dickish of you.
Perhaps the point is not to get too worked up over something as trivial as a comic book movie. Or to not get on your fans nerves with constant references to said comic book movie.

Or maybe the point is that schadenfreude is fun.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Only thing I find quite boring is Loki he's not most awesome/scary/evil villain I could think of but still very interesting project witch has been timed quite good. With timing I mean not in the same time as some other superhero movie marathon..... To many movies about superheroes is kinda boring but these Iron man/Thor/Hulk is a good combo and great style.
Me like.

Now when is black widow/hawk eye movie/s comming ;) (and avengers 2 since this one seems to be a decent success....) :)

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Was really expecting a bit of a meh and boy was I surprised.......... so when's that Union Jack film coming? never even read the comics just think the costume is awesome.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
For those who stayed for the mid-credits scene and weren't sure what the big deal was I highly recommend heading over to comicvine.com to watch this video: http://www.comicvine.com/3-minute-expert-thanos/112-958/

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Lucane said:
Agent Larkin said:
I wish my cut of the film had the "Joke" in the stinger but oh well.
I could tell what basically happens if you like if you don't think you'll be able to actually see the scene for a while unless you have already.
I appreciate the offer but I have since found out what it was even though I haven't seen it and won't for a while yet.

fieryhotaru

Jan 3, 2010
Saw it at midnight. Place was crowded. I loved the movie. Great fight scenes, great character introduction and interaction, and surprisingly good bad guy. I need to see Thor now. He's a super hottie!

Sheamus

Mar 28, 2009
I'm glad this has turned out good, for Bob's sake at least, I wonder what he would've done had this turned into utter garbage, having look forward to this nearly his whole life.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
Hey Bob. Spoiler Alert please? I stopped the video half way through when you start telling us what happens in the story.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I bet Whedon is now calling Fox and leaving 5 minute bursts of laughter on their answering service every hour.

I was actually hoping to see The Skrulls as the big bad invaders, did not know Fox owned the rights to them, still, the ones they did use were sufficiently cool looking.

This movie actually did get one thing wrong; It should have been longer. 2 1/2 hours was far too short. If they had 3 or 3 1/2, then it might not have felt rushed early on. Can't wait for the bonus features when it gets its home release later.

Hulk: Puny God.

Feb 11, 2009
The iMAX print released in Hong Kong (26/4/2012) doesn't have the after credits scene, only mid-credits one :(

I was extremely happy that the movie did not introduce each and every hero in more depth and went straight into more interesting stuff - introduction is what the previous movies were for.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
artanis_neravar said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:
"Let's keep these things coming"

Agreed. I would so love to see a movie about Hank Pym. He's one of the most interesting Marvel characters in my mind.

Mostly though, it's time for Marvel to start taking back some of the wayward children. It's time to bring the Fantastic Four and the X-men back under the wing of the parent company. Now that they have this whole movie making thing down, it's time to stop letting Fox fuck around and half ass them. And for the love of God, stop letting Sony shit on Spiderman!!!
Despite what they may claim First Class has to be a reboot of X-men and that was a damn good movie
Dr Snakeman said:
Frostbite3789 said:
I loved the mid credits scene. Thanks to you I got the double meaning.

Ha. He wants to court death. I GET IT.
Wait, I don't get it. I mean, I get that
that guy was Galactus, but I didn't know that the courting death line meant anything deeper. What's it supposed to indicate?
Yep the guy was actually
Thanos the Mad Titan
Yeah, First Class was good. But seriously, how long did it take them to get to that one good X-men movie. The original 2 seemed OK in a world before the Iron Man movie was a thing, but looking back on them today they don't hold up. At least not in my opinion. The titles said X-men, but what it came down to was 4 Wolverine movies.

By my count Fox is what, six-to-one against on Superhero movies? If I'm wrong then I apologize but there were four X-men movies ranging from "OK" to "Horrible" and 2 God awful Fantastic Four movies (that's Fox too, right?) before First Class came along. I enjoyed First Class, but it's the anomaly not the rule as far as I'm concerned. I'd love nothing more than to see the rights revert back to Marvel now that they have this whole movie thing down to a science.