Escape to the Movies: Avengers

person427

May 28, 2009

The movie is amazing, but I miss Ant Man. I mean, in the originals, the Wasp was the one who came up with the name for the Avengers. Also missing: Rick Jones trying to become Cap's new sidekick.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Battle Catman said:
Frostbite3789 said:
I loved the mid credits scene. Thanks to you I got the double meaning.

Ha. He wants to court death. I GET IT.
That was one of the lines that made me laugh--when Cap gets the "flying monkeys" reference.

Hey, I just realized something...

I don't know if I missed it, but no one said "Avengers, assemble!"
Holy balls, you're right! This moview was everything I hoped it would be & more! Snappy dialogue, big action, totally cool characters, THE must-see flick of the summer! And we're just getting started.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
TwistedEllipses said:
I had half-expected Moviebob to gush about this film, afterall it's stuffed full of stuff just for the fans of the comics. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid 7/10 film with superb moments (favourites involve Phil, Loki, infighting and all Iron man and Thor quips), but it has flaws.

As Moviebob said the story is secondary and slim. The opening leaves you feeling you've missed a film and is taken a little too seriously for all the silliness involves. Loki's CGI army has no backstory, a stupid forgettable name, and just show-up as faceless goons to fight. How they're dealt with is a plot contrivance followed by a magical killswitch that left me with the impression they had forgotten the army weren't robots.

Also, the extended action scenes get a bit physically exhausting after a while, but that may just be watching it in 3D.

The worst scene was Loki making people bow before him (kneel before Zod, etc) and one old man with a stereotypical Jewish accent disobeys him. Captain American then shows up and compares Loki to...well if you can't guess where this is going already, here's a clue: the scene is set in germany. -_-

It's testament to how good the film is that the main storyline could be so bad, but not detract that much...

EDIT: Did anyone ever say 'Hawkeye'. I heard a 'Hawk' and his regular name, but it seemed like it assumed you knew already...
For me, the lacklustre story was more frustrating. Half way through the movie I was already wishing it would end. "Snappy dialogue, big action, totally cool characters" ([user]Darth_Payn[/user]) get old fast for me. Also, I get sleepy riding rollercoasters.

Merrick_HLC

Mar 13, 2012
TwistedEllipses said:
I had half-expected Moviebob to gush about this film, afterall it's stuffed full of stuff just for the fans of the comics. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid 7/10 film with superb moments (favourites involve Phil, Loki, infighting and all Iron man and Thor quips), but it has flaws.

As Moviebob said the story is secondary and slim. The opening leaves you feeling you've missed a film and is taken a little too seriously for all the silliness involves. Loki's CGI army has no backstory, a stupid forgettable name, and just show-up as faceless goons to fight. How they're dealt with is a plot contrivance followed by a magical killswitch that left me with the impression they had forgotten the army weren't robots.

Also, the extended action scenes get a bit physically exhausting after a while, but that may just be watching it in 3D.

The worst scene was Loki making people bow before him (kneel before Zod, etc) and one old man with a stereotypical Jewish accent disobeys him. Captain American then shows up and compares Loki to...well if you can't guess where this is going already, here's a clue: the scene is set in germany. -_-

It's testament to how good the film is that the main storyline could be so bad, but not detract that much...

EDIT: Did anyone ever say 'Hawkeye'. I heard a 'Hawk' and his regular name, but it seemed like it assumed you knew already...
First in answer to your Q, I'm pretty sure Black Widow explicitly called him Hawkeye during the last battle scene.

As the Germany scene, I actually just thought the guy had a (less thick) German accent, not a stereotypical Jewish one.

I will agree that scene's probably the weakest in the entire film, but I forgive it simply because it was, to me, an awesome Cap moment.
Sure, for US it's a 'Godwin' moment.
For Cap, Hitler was alive last month, this was kind of him getting his first realization that no matter how much times have changed, some of the same old threats still loom.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Eamar said:
Just came back from seeing it for the second time (I'm from the UK) and I loved it every bit as much as the first time round. Pure, unbridled joy, and I cannot wait for Thor 2 next year XD
And Iron Man 3 ;)

EDIT:

This CANNOT be coincidence! :|

No way was Wheldon this much of a genius? Surely?

e.wlmo4

Oct 9, 2010
You mean I sat through the entire credits and what did I get. Them misspelling Namco while the US gets an extra scene. Guess Marvel gets more of my money

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
teknoarcanist said:
There was a BEAUTIFUL fly-through during that big climax where you see Black Widow fly by on a stolen alien motorcycle plane, who passes Ironman engaging in a mid-air duel, who flies past Hawkeye holding his ground on a rooftop, who turns and shoots an arrow past Thor and The Hulk on the back of a giant robot snake, which crashes into the ground near (iirc) where Captain America is tanking it out with some dudes on the ground, all in one straight cut.
To all of you who haven't seen it: I want you to read this sentence a few times. If this doesn't make you want to go out and see The Avengers right the hell now, then I'm sorry, but you have a terminal case of hating fun.

Jan 27, 2011
I just saw it.

My mind is still being blown.

Also, bob is right, this will win hulk a lot of fans. One scene in particular had the entire theater roaring with laughter, and is probably the best scene in the movie. XD

Also...THERE WAS A SECOND AFTER CREDITS SCENE?! FFFFFFFFF-

Japaniard

May 5, 2012
I'm sorry Bob, but I don't think Marvel is going to be making a Namor movie any time soon. Not only is he usually a Fantastic Four Villain, but wasn't he recently revealed to be an X-men style mutant? Unfortunately, Fox still owns the rights to both the Fantastic Four and the X-men.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Man, I just realized how badass a movie series about all the NYC super heroes taking down the Kingpin/organized crime would be, then I realized that because of the pre-Disney days of Marvel movies, that ain't happening for a long time.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Freaking fantastic movie The Avengers was. So many good scenes. One of my favorites being:

When the Hulk grabs Loki in the middle of his speech and throttles him. The entire theater, including my brother and I were bursting out laughing at how hilariously awesome that was.

"Puny God"

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
It's a shame how Marvel fucked over the creators of the original creators of the characters from the Avengers which makes it hard for me to really enjoy this movie.

Merrick_HLC

Mar 13, 2012
Chaos Marine said:
It's a shame how Marvel fucked over the creators of the original creators of the characters from the Avengers which makes it hard for me to really enjoy this movie.
Co-creators I assume you mean.
Stan Lee is in all the movies so I doubt he feels 'fucked over' and the only character in Avengers he didn't have a hand in creating is Captain America.

Really, and I say this as an at least wannabe writer who is sympathetic to creator's by nature.... I think there's a lot of overstatement of how 'evil marvel' was to creators back in the day.

No one around had any real idea these things would continue on for ages or be having huge blockbusters in 50 years.

Comics were seen as cyclical no one would care about superheroes in another 10 years.
So better a continued check as a writer than permanent royalties for something that wouldn't be worth anything in 20 years.

It's unfortunate that this ended up with guys making far less money in the long run, but it's not like Marvel or DC we're forcing them to give up the rights, they could have gone to some of the many other publishers who did exist at the time and kept the characters they created, though it's unknowable if we'd remember these characters if they had.

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
Taking a girl to see this is going to be awesome/awful. We're both going to love it for sure. But how can we make out when we're both glued to the big screen?