Escape to the Movies: Bad Lieutenant

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Really? Sarah Silverman playing Wonderwoman? I really wished I was born maybe a decade before hand, could have witnessed some things like this. Thank you Bob for actually explaining what you mean unlike more review making references that confusing their younger audiences.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Did Bob really just call Nicholas Cage an "Indie" actor? What the fuck?

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I was expecting Bob to review either the Princess and the Frog or Invictus. This choice surprised me.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
"Yo dawg, we heard you liked non actors in your movies, so we put Xzibit in Bad Lieutenant so you can crank that sh*t while you watch that sh*t" had to :)
seems interesting, might check it out

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
AkJay said:
Yes, but he was referring to him in past tense as an indie actor way back....in the early 90s.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I tried to get through the Harvey Kietal Bad Lieutenant recently (since I really like the guy), but just couldn't. What wasn't revolting was pretty bland and boring, honestly. And there's absolutely no sense of pathos with a protagonist who is completely unrelatable and unlikeable.

Sometimes that works, but I didn't feel that way at all about that movie.

Anyway, Nick Cage was excellent in Face/Off. But then, that was a crazy, silly and unrealistic movie to begin with.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Herzog? Really? And Nicholas Cage? I... I must see this. It sounds so outrageous, and yet so perfect... I've always been kind of a fan of Nicholas Cage... he's got this kind of weirdness charisma that could go anywhere, and with Herzog running the show, I can't imagine what will happen and I can't wait to find out.

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
AkJay said:
he was indy. but he still plays odd roles and even if the movie is bad he still nails the role.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
Furburt said:
I loved the original Bad Lieutenant so much.
It was so offensive, and Harvey Keitel was perfect, as always.
I was surprised when bob termed it "over-rated", which would classify every other review of it as sufficiently puffed up.
I'm a tad disappointed that Bob thought the original was over-rated. But its not a movie for everyone, so I can kinda understand if he wasn't impressed with it.

I think Bad Lieutenant was an amazing film BECAUSE it was so wrong, but it's a movie that some audiences can't (or don't want to) understand. I only show certain friends the movie if I think they might 'get it'. Usually, I try to get a feel for whom might understand, or relate, to the subject matter before I sell them on the idea of the movie. The last thing I need is a friend giving me strange looks after watching something I recommended.

The same thing with books. I don't promote Less Than Zero to all my friends because not all would appreciate the nihilistic subject matter, and would probably wonder what's rattling in my head if they read it.