Escape to the Movies: Black Swan

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
Semi-Human said:
Well like i said this movie doesn't really need it, sure its a part of the move and i don't really mind it here. Its like discussing basic instinct without mention the interrogation scene or the opening. Personally i don't mind, i'm probably a bigger freak then most people here any way. Problem here is that bob is usually so annoyingly immature about this stuff. He usually sounds like a little kid who found a playboy.
I disagree with you. The merging of the character dichotomy through sex helps reinforce to me how psychological this movie is going to be. Sex is an obvious way (although it likely won't be openly shown as being so in the movie) for Natalie Portman's character to escape and act out from underneath her mother's oppression. Since Natalie's character is going to be fairly distraught over how well Mila's character is able to play the 'Black Swan', whereas she cannot, there is going to be a very confused mix of emotions that are all going to help in breaking down Natalie's character's psyche.

The sex scene is very important to this movie. Sex stopped being used in mainstream psychological horror for a good while (likely because it distresses people so well), but it fully belongs there. This is the exact reason why Silent Hill 2 is still regarded so fondly.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
good review across the board Bob. "Robert of the Cinema" was a rather nice break from your normal review opener and the overly long talk about the lesbian scene was 'interesting' since other sites called it raunchy and unnecessary. Those two things aside though I had intended to see Black Swan well before I saw your review primarily because of A) the Plot. B) Darren Aronofsky and C) Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis are two of my favorite actresses in hollywood.

Sir Subtle

Jul 24, 2009
Hey Bob, RP speakers tend to use more of the mouth than Americans. If you wanted try that accent again try dropping your mouth a little farther than it feels natural to go during some sounds. Also during an 'Oh' sound like in 'Water' really emphasize the shape of your lips to make a more defined 'Oh' sound.

Otherwise, going to see this movie as soon as I'm in the mood!

Semi-Human

Nov 16, 2010
Shale_Dirk said:
Semi-Human said:
Well like i said this movie doesn't really need it, sure its a part of the move and i don't really mind it here. Its like discussing basic instinct without mention the interrogation scene or the opening. Personally i don't mind, i'm probably a bigger freak then most people here any way. Problem here is that bob is usually so annoyingly immature about this stuff. He usually sounds like a little kid who found a playboy.
I disagree with you. The merging of the character dichotomy through sex helps reinforce to me how psychological this movie is going to be. Sex is an obvious way (although it likely won't be openly shown as being so in the movie) for Natalie Portman's character to escape and act out from underneath her mother's oppression. Since Natalie's character is going to be fairly distraught over how well Mila's character is able to play the 'Black Swan', whereas she cannot, there is going to be a very confused mix of emotions that are all going to help in breaking down Natalie's character's psyche.

The sex scene is very important to this movie. Sex stopped being used in mainstream psychological horror for a good while (likely because it distresses people so well), but it fully belongs there. This is the exact reason why Silent Hill 2 is still regarded so fondly.
ah i get it. thats not what i meant wasn't that this movies didn't need the scene.
I meant was that it didn't need the "there's a hot lesbian scene" hype around it.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
The accent is neither good nor funny. Don't do it again. Ruined an otherwise excellent review.

Also, straight girls lezzing out doesn't turn me on. I see them doing it at a party, and my only thought is, okay that's great, cut the shit and one of you get in my lap.

Someone explain the appeal of watching when I can watch at any time on the internet and probably see something better on the internet to boot.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I'd just like to start off by pointing out that i am English and i found that accent offensive. Call me 'too touchy' or 'too sensitive' or whatever. I don't care; i just found it offensive. End of discussion, especially as i live in the south of England and speak with the 'Queen's English' dialect, thus making me sound like the typical ponce stereotype that Bob was brutalising.

Please don't do it again.

In regards to the film, i think it looks great. I love films that fuck with the mind of not just the audience - but the characters, too. I know most people will go LESBIAN SEX HAWT but that's not really the purpose of the scene. It's the coming together of the dichotomy of the white and black swan. Becoming a unified being, thought, whatever. It's purely symbolic and not literal. I find it a bit childish that people make a big deal out if it, regardless of which side of the camp you're on. It's an artistic statement that helps to drive the plot and psyche of the characters forward. That's it. To say "go see it 'cause it's hot stuff!" completely belittles the purpose of the scene and the meaning behind it.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
HankMan said:
Lesbians
DAM
Lesbian ballerina ninjas...DAMN.
that are going nuts, and will probably show a reflection of a warped mentality :D
also, I'd have to say that, whereas Buzz Killington is overtly specific in his subject, you chose to use synonymity to convey your point :p
full kudos on the review :)

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Normally when someone mentions ballet I'm out.

You talked me into it, damn you and your enthusiasm!
I hope this'll be awesome when it hits Holland.

(we still don't have Scott Pilgrim vs The World)
>_>

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Interesting point about the sexuality being a reason to see the film, is that its mostly us stuck up caucasians who are stuffy about it. If you read Japanese reviews of classic cinema they usually bring up points of sexuality and how it should play a larger role. Like the Japanese equivalent to Roger & Ebert could say something like "The acting was good but her breasts weren't big enough" *hyperbole and general*. So yea, solid review and now I really want to see it.

starocean13

May 20, 2009
Im a huge fan of Natalie Portman and have been looking forword to this movie for months now. I have a question though to any one who might know, is this only being shown in select theaters right now? I just checked all the theaters in my area and none of them have listings for this movie.

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
It's going to be weird to ask my parents to drive me to it.

Assuming they know anything at all about it.

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
Ashoten said:
LOL Bob. Its not sexist to talk about sex in a movie and the relevance of it to the plot. It's sexist when YOU!(double underline) talk about sex. Mostly because your obsession with lesbians is getting creepier over time.
Really, are you serious? The words: obsession and lesbians should not be anything to be bothered by.

Sex is a good enough reason to see a movie. For example, I saw the film Shortbus a couple years ago in the theaters because of the sex. My (then) girlfriend and I went to see the movie for that reason alone. It was because of the SEX. What is wrong with that? I guess I'm going to get attack by all the people who consider themselves asexual again.

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
Gralian said:
I'd just like to start off by pointing out that i am English and i found that accent offensive. Call me 'too touchy' or 'too sensitive' or whatever. I don't care; i just found it offensive. End of discussion, especially as i live in the south of England and speak with the 'Queen's English' dialect, thus making me sound like the typical ponce stereotype that Bob was brutalising.

Please don't do it again.

In regards to the film, i think it looks great. I love films that fuck with the mind of not just the audience - but the characters, too. I know most people will go LESBIAN SEX HAWT but that's not really the purpose of the scene. It's the coming together of the dichotomy of the white and black swan. Becoming a unified being, thought, whatever. It's purely symbolic and not literal. I find it a bit childish that people make a big deal out if it, regardless of which side of the camp you're on. It's an artistic statement that helps to drive the plot and psyche of the characters forward. That's it. To say "go see it 'cause it's hot stuff!" completely belittles the purpose of the scene and the meaning behind it.
Darren Aronofsky use to be an artist. Have you seen The Fountain or The Wrestler? Ewwwwwww

Also, don't be so sensitive. It's just an accent for comedic effect. British comedians do it all the time. How many Scotts or Irish jokes have I heard. Also, Peter Sellers is the KING of "American" accents.

VenusInFurs

Nov 27, 2010
Semi-Human said:
Shale_Dirk said:
Semi-Human said:

ah i get it. thats not what i meant wasn't that this movies didn't need the scene.
I meant was that it didn't need the "there's a hot lesbian scene" hype around it.
It doesn't matter how "artistic" or "meaningful" the sex is in this movie. I"m going to jerk off to it when it comes on HBO or if I get the DVD. Well, I will jerk off to it at least once.