Escape to the Movies: Branded

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Just heard about this film right now and while movie bob writes it off, and probably rightly, the review makes me want to watch it...

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Sounds like a great movie to miss...
And I almost laughed out loud (not the right time to laugh..) about your pronunciation of "Max von Sydow" hehe way to much "i" in "sy" (it's non existing in Swedish...) But makes his name way funnier/cooler :)

And considering how much junk gets out I wonder how the companies still dare finance any movie... And/or bot out through much better ones.... O well I don't know anything about that I just like good movies...

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
There is nothing good about this film?

NOTHING?

Well, I didn't expect it to be "good," I was thinking it was going to be a blatant and heavy handed attack on capitalism, but it is also saying fat people are the "tools of corperations because Jesus sees horrible CGI blob things eating you?"

There are many heavy handed films, very few are outright insulting ones, fewer still don't make sense.

He got super marketing powers from lighting, had a dream that told him to burn a cow (and we didn't even see it?), trying to pass off "chubby is good" even though we have known for at least a century that it ISN'T and information countering that notion is found everywhere?

Why greenlit this thing?

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Pretentious with pointless overwrought CGI imagery and popular ironically? Too bad it doesn't have scantily clad chicks fighting giant robot samurai.
-_-
I salute you.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I agree with the message of this film as explained by bob. To be a bit chubby or thick bodied is one thing, to be a corpulent walking maggot that greedily devours junk food by the bucket-load is another. Involved in a daily questing to fast food places to eat more and more and grow larger and larger over years, this is not right, this is a diminished form of the human condition. Many are far too fat, unhealthily so, and their motivations centre around eating. For many of us, we eat far too much for what we do--which so often involves eating more fat-laden fast food.

We have been fooled into eating more, the size of junk food has increased in recent years and this has been quite deliberate. The wages of gorging has been the fattening of the populace.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Helmholtz Watson said:
Why do I get the feeling that the negative depiction of over weight people hit home for a certain someone? ;D
Quite quite, lol. I grew up a fat kid but I can remain objective about this and consider, the fatocalypse. Bob isn't comfortable with a critique of fast food taken into parasitism and moralising territory in the manner of branded (but for some reason, he liked The Stuff).

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
I had the trailer for Branded shoved in my face by a smug hard-left hipster who got pissy when I told him it looked awful. I'm glad I wasn't the only one.
Films that make critics uncomfortable are a fantastic spectacle. Or at least the review is.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
But Bob... it's as they say "Idle lard is the Devil's plaything".

The way Bob described the movie: Instantly I know how to make this movie 3x better without even having heard of it until just 10 minutes ago. Branded's premise, a man seeing advertisement as parasites and monsters that control people, is played straight; when really, seeing demons of anything that no-one else can see marks you as a crazy person.

And the film should've been played as that: the twist being really that the movie has been about a fat-hating crazy person the whole time and the billboards are the same as ever. Driven insane by whatever had driven him insane in the first place... as a nice reversal of a twist.

Edit: Then they could point out, guilt-free, how ugly they think fat people are because that's not how THEY think... but rather the protagonist... and that TOTALLY would've worked.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Protip: if you want a trippy Russian film criticizing modern advertising, and don't mind subtitles, watch Generation P.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm disappointed.
I was hoping this would be a metaphorical movie about how corporations control everyone's lives, supported by a few facts here and there like a "dramatic documentary" if that makes any sense.
I'm pretty bummed to hear that all it's saying is "fat people suck."

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Pebkio said:
But Bob... it's as they say "Idle lard is the Devil's plaything".

The way Bob described the movie: Instantly I know how to make this movie 3x better without even having heard of it until just 10 minutes ago. Branded's premise, a man seeing advertisement as parasites and monsters that control people, is played straight; when really, seeing demons of anything that no-one else can see marks you as a crazy person.

And the film should've been played as that: the twist being really that the movie has been about a fat-hating crazy person the whole time and the billboards are the same as ever. Driven insane by whatever had driven him insane in the first place... as a nice reversal of a twist.

Edit: Then they could point out, guilt-free, how ugly they think fat people are because that's not how THEY think... but rather the protagonist... and that TOTALLY would've worked.
You should make satire. For real, that's a clever idea.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Pretentious with pointless overwrought CGI imagery and popular ironically? Too bad it doesn't have scantily clad chicks fighting giant robot samurai.
-_-

ZING!

Haha, I was waiting for someone to say that.

OT: Fatpocolypse does sound like an incredible premise for a film.... Just putting that out there.

Sounds like the title of a Michael Moore peice.

DVS BSTrD said:
-_-
Well played and spot on.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Yeah... this actually did sound kind of interesting when MovieBob first described it. Then he started talking about monologues and all interest I had in the movie plummeted in a second. I had to deal with way too much of that already in the "Dark Knight Rises".

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Smertnik said:
LoathsomePete said:
Never even heard of this movie until now, but the videos Bob played throughout reminded me of another Russian movie, Nightwatch which sounded like a neat premise, but the execution was just a cavalcade of "how much acid do I need to take for this to start being good?" I definitely dislike it when people mishandle easy concepts like this, but considering how my town sucks so much we don't even get The Master, I doubt we'll be getting this any time soon.
Yeah, Nightwatch sucked pretty bad. The book series it's based on is awesome, though, although I don't know how well it's translated (or if at all).
What. Nightwatch was neat. I liked it. :)

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
That's a damn shame.

When I saw the trailers, I thought it was going to be something completely different. Something more akin to The Matrix.

This was the first movie I'd actually been interested in all year.