Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Revolutionaryloser said:
Holy shit! You know Bob is pissed when his Brooklyn accent breaks out.
Boston. It's a Bostonian accent.

And yes, it emerges when he gets annoyed, as he said pretty much outright in this [em]very[/em] early appearance in The Escapist Presents. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/561-MovieBob-Oscar-Show]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
dat CGI

I must watch this. I must gather all my terrible-movie-connoisseur friends and we must all watch this.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
This is the first time I even hear about this movie, so I can't help but notice: doesn't that protagonist really look like keanu reeves from the back? Same build, same sickly complexion.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Some conspiracy. Like you need a fat acceptance plan to get people to buy junk food en masse. Reality is better where fat is shamed alongside the fast food commercial so we buy a big mac, then buy the exercise machine to burn off the calories.

So either Resident evil wasn't screened, or there's nothing to add to his video for the last one.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the way you describe the deal with the stupid slam against brands, corporations, and advertising makes me think of Ninja Theory's REALLY ham-handed "social commentary" in their attempted DMC reboot

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
But fat people are something we need to be shaming in the same way that smoking tobacco has become a general taboo. In it's absolute worst form they'd have you believe that the laws of thermodynamics don't apply to them and that genetics is the be-all end-all of how fit you are. It's the height of hypocrisy that they can claim that while drinking soda like it's water and being set to whole grains and lean meats what water and sunlight are to witches and vampires, that their weight isn't a product of what they're shoving down their gullets while half the world starves. They'd have you believe that the 250+ pound human is perfectly normal.

To say nothing of the health risks and costs you throw on everyone else's laps as you eat yourself into obesity. We've become a society that can't tell itself no, and then refuses to accept responsibility for what happens.

Unfortunately I don't think that's really what this movie's trying to broach at all though.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
You can always tell when a movie really pisses ol' Bob off because that's when "Townie Bob" (I <3 Townie Bob!) makes a cameo appearance. Dammit Bob, don't be ashamed of your Bwastan roots bust that accent out more often!

Revolutionaryloser said:
Holy shit! You know Bob is pissed when his Brooklyn accent breaks out.
Dammit man! That's not a Brooklyn accent! That accent is straight out of Charlestown my friend. I know some people from Boston that get "Wicked Mad" when they hear someone mistake their accent as being from New York.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Double Post. Nothing to see here. Move along people. Move along . . . . I said move along dammit!

Mar 7, 2012
acosn said:
But fat people are something we need to be shaming in the same way that smoking tobacco has become a general taboo. In it's absolute worst form they'd have you believe that the laws of thermodynamics don't apply to them and that genetics is the be-all end-all of how fit you are. It's the height of hypocrisy that they can claim that while drinking soda like it's water and being set to whole grains and lean meats what water and sunlight are to witches and vampires, that their weight isn't a product of what they're shoving down their gullets while half the world starves. They'd have you believe that the 250+ pound human is perfectly normal.

To say nothing of the health risks and costs you throw on everyone else's laps as you eat yourself into obesity. We've become a society that can't tell itself no, and then refuses to accept responsibility for what happens.

Unfortunately I don't think that's really what this movie's trying to broach at all though.
While it isn't necessarily a good thing, getting people to hate themselves for it is not the way to go and solves absolutely nothing.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
shiajun said:
Ashoten said:
Making fat people feel bad about being fat........WTF?

Fat storage is an important mechanism for survival and served our ancestors well throughout much of life's history. The simple fact that our post industrial world has made it possible for 2% of the population to make 100% of the food has had the unfortunate side effect of allowing people with a highly evolved fat storage system to become too fat is not their fault. It is not the companies fault for providing a service that people want. Does this mean everyone is absolved of guilt? NO! but it also means that the obese need compassion not shame.

I could also bring up how the government forced health regulations on fast food chains that required them to use hydrogenated fat for cooking, as well as there obsession with teaching everyone that tons of carbs are good for you. Carbohydrates metabolizes into sugar so unless your training for the Olympics or have a rigorous work out schedule there is no reason to load up on them all the time.
Yes, being fat is your fault. It's not only your fault, but living in a post-indsutrial society does not absolve you from the fact that you're using your body the wrong way. Not only is it evident that your physical activity is pitiful, it's also showing that you have little criteria in what you ingest. You don't need to eat out everytime. Cook at home and take lunch to work it there's no healthy place near you. Oh, it takes time and effort? Well, it's better that time and effort than the persitent damage your organs and bones are suffering from being forced through overweight.
or just eat at Subway or Panera or even get a salad at McDonalds. I'll admit that I eat fast food almost every day, and I'm not proud of it. Despite this, there is still some nutritional value to be found if you eat the right things and have reasonable portions. I'm actually thin and feel pretty healthy, despite where I tend to eat (though I do jog). This was not the case when I actually worked at Mcdonalds and had Big Macs everyday.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Allthingsspectacular said:
acosn said:

While it isn't necessarily a good thing, getting people to hate themselves for it is not the way to go and solves absolutely nothing.
Yes it is. Unless you mean to tell me that fat people lack the basic human reflexes like, "Oh, that makes me fat. I don't like being fat, ergo I shouldn't eat that" then it's absolutely a good idea.

The bigger issues are the lack of real health and diet education and the misunderstanding of what a workout does.

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
GamemasterAnthony said:
Wow! This movie was so bad it caused Bob's accent to return!

Crap...and I was kind of hoping the advertisements WERE some kind of alien infestation. It would definitely have explained quite a few things.
I was wondering if it was just more apparent this time or if I was just picking up on it really well since I had just heard him using it a few hours ago

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
acosn said:
acosn said:

Yes it is. Unless you mean to tell me that fat people lack the basic human reflexes like, "Oh, that makes me fat. I don't like being fat, ergo I shouldn't eat that" then it's absolutely a good idea.

The bigger issues are the lack of real health and diet education and the misunderstanding of what a workout does.
I find a similar approach tends to work with money. People are so terrible with money that some times the only way to get themto stop spending is to make it abundantly clear just how foolish and self-destructive their spending habits are to them, those close to them and society as a whole.

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
Xanthious said:
Double Post. Nothing to see here. Move along people. Move along . . . . I said move along dammit!
I'll have to re-watch his recent spider man review to confirm that, I remember him being noticeably pissed at the movie for good reason but not so much accent

Mar 7, 2012
acosn said:
acosn said:

Actually, personally I think it is a parenting issue. Not an education issue. The education IS there, but kids don't pay attention.

Overworked parents prefer to have convenient comfort food for their kids and get them to shut up easily over cooking decent meals.

I grew up with decent food being cooked in my home. Things like fast food is disgusting to me.

But I do know some overweight individuals and the "fat shaming" only harms their chances of getting the motivation to get fit and eat well.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
There's nothing wrong with a movie saying fat is bad, because to be honest it is bad. For your body and for your health. This might be hard to swallow but intolerance is a powerful trend setter.

I grow up in the Caribbean and countries there mostly tuned into american TV with all its advertising. The results is a generation of youth afraid and feel shameful to wear anything but a nike, if you don't you'll be looked down upon and mocked. This may seems dumb and stupid, but the world if filled with stupid people. While this stupidity does nothing but fills the pocket of nike, intolerance of obesity can makes you strive to get thinner thus makes you healthier.

There's two side to every coin, there is no absolution in the world.