Escape to the Movies: Captain America

DearFilm

Mar 18, 2011
Totally agree with the sentiment that the lack of irony made this movie. I've rarely seen a more earnest or sincere film, nor seen it handled this well since... well, The Rocketeer.

Actually, I agree with this review on just about every level, which is rare for me when it comes to Bob. However, this film is note perfect, and Bob nails every reason why it is awesome, as well as the quite sad reason some people might not like it.

Regardless, this movie should be seen by everyone. Twice.

See this movie. Now.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
marioman360 said:
Screw that! I'm gonna go watch the Reb Brown movie!
Wait... the guy from Space Mutiny was in that old Captain America movie ?! FFFFFFFFFFFFF

On Topic: This is the second time in a row that a Marvel film has caught me wishing I was seeing it as a kid.

Not that it doesn't have universal appeal (Hayley Atwell) but had I been 10 or 11 years old seeing Thor, or especially Captain America, I could see them being literally life-altering moviegoing experiences.

And while on the topic of the Avengers, all I can say is that I'm really, really glad someone who has experience in both directing AND writing Marvel comics is at the helm of the most ambitious comic book movie perhaps ever.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Wow, he really laid out the praise in this piece. It's a refreshing take from his normal cynicism.

I might go see this on Saturday, or when I more free time.

Doctor Brobotnik

Feb 26, 2011
Bah! This movie isn't out for another WEEK in New Zealand. WHYYYYY?!

Well, I look forward to opening night here in Zuu Zullind :p

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmm, interest in this flick...rising. Plus, was that Tommy-Lee Jones? Never knew he was in this, only adds points to overall interest.

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
Doctor Brobotnik said:

It's the same in the UK. Oh, come on! I can't wait for this.

Skunktrain

Nov 19, 2009
I hadn't thought about The Rocketeer in years and now I have to see it again. And this. And I'm likely to continue not seeing the Reb Brown movie.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Nice review, Bob. Irony can be a great tool, but it often turns into lazy cynicism. Thanks for defending the un-ironic.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Really glad this turned out good. If Marvel fumbled the ball here the Avengers Initiative would've been dead in the water.

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
Saw it at the midnight showing last night, probably going to see it again this weekend. I want to contend your statement that it was perfect, but I can't think of anything to say against it. Not that I don't want it to be perfect, I just don't think anything is perfect.

And yes, it was nice seeing a complete lack of irony attached to such a patriotic character. Usually "jingoistic" is the word you usually hear thrown around for patriotic characters -- not here. Unlike most patriotic characters, Steve is proud of his country, not himself, making him not the jerk most are. I really think the whole movie is summed up by his line to Red Skull: "What makes you so special?" "Nothing. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn."

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Doctor Brobotnik said:

Oh please, it's not out for nearly a month where I live.

And from that, its opening night is on my birthday. Perhaps I'll watch this one.